The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
JasonJohn, SmellOfTheSheep, Colana, Mister, NikosLaos
5472 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (SweetPea, 2 invisible), 66 guests, and 147 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Portable Icon Screen
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,482
Posts410,422
Members5,472
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Town Hall
Yesterday at 04:44 PM
The epidemic of threats against schools continues unabated.

https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/...ing-help-central-york-threats/363268002/

This is the School District which surrounds the St. John Chrysostom Antiochian Orthodox Church; in fact, the District's Administration building is just two blocks from the temple.

In neighboring Dauphin County both the Harrisburg City and Dauphin County Vo-Tech schools are closed today due to threats

The affected parishes are Christ Our Savior (OCA) and St. Nicholas (Serbian).
0 22 Read More
The Kliros
02/22/18 10:19 PM
Thank you, Bob.

The monks have also recorded some of their Gregorian material. It can be heard for free at https://thechoir.bandcamp.com/album/orthodox-hymns-in-gregorian-chant.

My favorite is "We run to your mercy". I think that they used "Salve Regina" for that hymn.
2 79 Read More
Prayer
02/22/18 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Thomas the Seeker
"America's Preacher" has now become America's Intercessor.

AMEN! And boy do we need it! :-(
4 103 Read More
Prayer
02/22/18 02:15 AM
"America's Preacher" has now become America's Intercessor.
4 103 Read More
Town Hall
02/22/18 02:06 AM
While it's not my area of law, and it's possible that I missed a new opinion, AFAIK federal funding has never been pushed this far. It would allow the central government to get too involved the affairs of institutions.

For example, a court can delve into the sincerity of a person's religious beliefs, but not the truth thereof, or whether a doctrine is heretical to its institution.

If the federal money were highly directed rather than general, or targeted to another area, such standards *could* apply. For example, if the feds funded a lecture series, they could require neutrality or breadth in the series (and probably could not forbid it), but general student aid, or a chemistry lab, won't allow intrusion into political or religious affairs.

There *have* been programs (unconstitutional, IM!HO) broadly denying categories of funding, such as denial of all or parts of highway funds for speed limits or DUI laws, or Title IX (which has been badly abused), but these are far cry from a private right of action under the First Amendment. So far, in fact, that I would expect Rule 11 Sanctions to be more likely than success.

hawk, esq.
3 213 Read More
Church News
02/22/18 12:53 AM
Vinny Zee:

Christ is in our midst!!

Welcome to the forum. I hope that your membership here will be fruitful for you spiritually.
Bob
8 1,302 Read More
Church News
02/21/18 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by Logos - Alexis
Though, to give the Protestants credit where credit is due, evangelicalism is the fastest-growing religious movement in the world (or so I have read) - outstripping even Islam. A huge percentage of Protestant growth is coming from adult conversions - not just little Protestants being born. Evangelicals are missionary, and guess what, missions work! And also Protestantism is simpler to convert to/take on.

Hi New here. I came home to the Church in 2014 out of Evangelicalism. Protestant/Evangelical "conversions" are much different than in the Catholic world. In Evangelicalism, one can go to a service, raise their hand they want to "trust Christ as their savior," and they will count this as a conversion to Evangelicalism. There may or may not be some sort of follow up, or a class or two to basically welcome them to the particular denomination, but by and large one reporting a "personal decision" is all that is needed to be counted as, "converted."

You will find many other studies on Evangelicalism that bemoan their lack of follow up or retention of "new converts." In Catholicism, when an adult converts and after extensive training in the faith, they will normally remain.
8 1,302 Read More
Prayer
02/21/18 09:30 PM
May the memory of his beautiful soul be eternal!
I remember how inspirational his words were when I heard them on tv as a young teen.
I remember his visit to the Soviet Union to speak upon the invitation of the Patriarch of Moscow to help warm over the hearts of those reared on official atheism with his simple words.
I once read that Billy Graham himself said that he spoke to the masses on a sixth grade level for them to understand the message of God's love and Christ's message in simple terms.
We live in really ugly and hateful times. To me he evokes the tidbits of memories I have of a kinder, gentler, more noble, more civil, more respectful and more God loving and fearing nation, which sadly, seems to exist no more. frown

4 103 Read More
The Kliros
02/21/18 08:28 PM
JasonJohn:

Christ is in our midst!!

Welcome to the forum. I hope your coming here will be fruitful for you spiritually.

Thank you for the link.

Bob
2 79 Read More
The Kliros
02/21/18 08:09 PM
Has anyone seen this yet? A monastery in Canada has released material for Vespers, Matins and the Divine LIturgy in Gregorian Chant, sung with ison. The link to the site is https://www.archdiocese.ca/articles/orthodox-hymns-made-available-gregorian-chant. I can't wait to hear some of this material used in parishes.
2 79 Read More
Prayer
02/21/18 05:32 PM
William Franklin Graham was an "evangelical Churchman" in the finest sense of those words.

He was an uncompromising evangelical who railed against the veneer of religiosity during the high tide of post WWII WASP-ism; warning that a casual "social club" approach to the Bride was in no way equivalent to loving Her Bridegroom.

And yet, he was such a Churchman that his final words at nearly every crusade were "and go to Church this Sunday!".

May his Memory be Eternal!
4 103 Read More
Prayer
02/21/18 01:47 PM
Billy Graham, who led many, many people to Christ, fell asleep in the Lord this morning at the age of 99.

May the Lord God grant eternal rest to His servant, Billy Graham, in a place of light, joy and peace. Eternal Memory!
4 103 Read More
Prayer
02/21/18 01:41 AM
For all schools, colleges, and universities,
for those who labor and endeavor to learn therein,
that they may be delivered from all fear, danger, and distress,
let us pray to the Lord:

Lord, have mercy.

+ + +
3 154 Read More
Town Hall
02/20/18 11:43 PM
Hi! Does anyone here have service details of the Eastern-Catholic parishes/churches in Constantinople?

I recall at least two:

1) Holy Trinity Greek-Catholic, which was used by the Chaldaeans as of a decade or so ago.
2) Armenian Catholic churches?

An RC friend is visiting and he is interested in the East, and would like to attend mass there.

Thanks!
0 69 Read More
Vespers, Matins & the Divine Liturgy
02/20/18 06:35 PM
I don't know of a site that has a full list on a single page, but Orthodox Wiki has a very good article on most liturgical items.

https://orthodoxwiki.org
1 127 Read More
Town Hall
02/20/18 06:33 PM
Generally speaking, private organizations should have the freedoms to welcome or deny speech by those who come on to their property.

However, when they sign up to accept taxpayer dollars those taxpayer dollars come with the requirement that they treat different viewpoints equally.

I don't know the details of this situation, so can't really comment other than to say that if Columbia University is accepting taxpayer dollars, and has allowed other similar lectures, then they should allow this one.
3 213 Read More
Prayer
02/20/18 06:29 PM
Lord, have mercy!
3 154 Read More
02/20/18 11:33 AM
The point is if the music for "Maronite Wa Habibi" comes from France, then the music for "Syriac - from the liturgical point of view - Wa Habibi" (in Arabic) and "Syriac Kadh Nopheq" (in Aramenan) comes from France via Maronitarum too. Is the music for "Malalayan Sleeba tholinmel thaangi" the ancient music for "Syriac Kadh Nopheq" or not? Can anybody in the forum with knwoledge of the Western Syriac Liturgical tradition tell us about the origical music of "Syriac Kadh Nopheq"?
8 525 Read More
Prayer
02/19/18 06:44 PM
Amen.
3 154 Read More
Church News
02/19/18 02:46 AM
I've seen this service before and even signed up for it back when you had to pay for it. One challenge I wish I could overcome: how can I learn to chant/sing these prayers? In the West it's usually pretty easy to find a breviary with tones in it. I really prefer to chant this sort of prayer than just read it. Any suggestions?
2 360 Read More
Church News
02/18/18 12:49 AM
Thank you brethren. Interesting site and app..
2 360 Read More
Faith & Theology
02/16/18 09:35 PM
She was enrolled in closest ritual church, which would indeed be Russian Catholic.

Not just "Russian Rite," but the Russian Catholic Church, which is in communion with the Roman Catholic Church.

hawk
1 207 Read More
Town Hall
02/15/18 09:01 PM
Rickey,

To my knowledge there are only two active communities at the extreme southern tip: San Paolo Albanese and San Constantino Albanese, both part of the Eparchy of Lungro.

Previously, the community of Rionero in Vulture was an Arberesh (Italo-Albanian) city, however, the language and Greek Rite are no longer practiced there. If you go, I recommend Casa Brenna where we stayed in 2015. Many of the residents will admit to Arberesh ancestry, including the owner of this small B&B. If you want to hear the language spoken, nearby Barile, Maschito, and Ginestra have maintained it fairly well. We visited all three and spoke with the residents in Albanian. The language in Ripacandida also has significant Arberesh influence along with Greek. Brindisi di Montagna was another Arberesh settlement, near Potenza, which lost its language and Greek Rite services.

The Archbishop of Melfi is the one who ordered suppression of the Greek Rite in these towns and others under his jurisdiction in 1627. This well-known. For example, just across the regional border, in Taranto Province of the Region of Puglia, they've invited the clergy from the Eparchy of Lungro to celebrate the Greek Rite in their main church on their annual patronal feast day.

I lived over there for two years and worshipped and chanted in their churches. Would be happy to share more about the Greek Rite communities and their history in Italia. My paper is also posted on the Saint John Chrysostom Society's website hosted by byzcath.org
3 437 Read More
Faith & Theology
02/15/18 05:03 PM
Hello all,

I just want to confirm something quickly. A friend of mine is from Moscow, (born, raised, still lives there). She converted in July last year and attends Mass at the Latin Rite Cathedral in Moscow. Technically though, is she still of Eastern (Russian) Rite or is she Latin?

Thank you.
1 207 Read More
02/15/18 03:38 PM
I'm just curious if anyone knew of a good visual (i.e. with accompanying pictures) guide to all of the various Greek and Slavonic terms used for the Byzantine rite (e.g. diskos, antidoron, aer, orarion, etc.) for neophytes and older children. Thanks!
1 127 Read More
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2018. All rights reserved.