The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
PhilEast, The Nikonian, Tarsicio Santiago, jstemtex, KARIM LEY
5569 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Pavel Ivanovich, 1 invisible), 76 guests, and 391 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Portable Icon Screen
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,627
Posts411,160
Members5,569
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Books
2 hours ago
Oh that would be wonderful, Bob. It's quite funny. This child is 12 and his parents are the least religious in our family. He started asking some rather profound questions about faith, God and prayer. As always, God has a good sense of humor.
2 15 Read More
Books
3 hours ago
There is a good prayerbook for youth published by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese. If I can reach Father Anthony, a priest of the Archdiocese, I may be able to get you information on how to obtain one. It's an English language prayerbook.

Bob
2 15 Read More
Books
6 hours ago
Can anyone recommend a prayer book for a 12 year old?
2 15 Read More
Town Hall
21 hours ago
Christ is in our midst!!

I never heard of a website called "Shutterfly" until my son sent me a birthday gift yesterday--birthday is tomorrow the 18th. This site takes pictures sent in and puts them into frames or onto any number of items. Well, I received a great coffee mug--my size, about three large cups worth--with the pictures of all four of my grandchildren on it.

Somehow with all the "stuff" I have collected in my life, this one will be one of my most treasured. It's like having them all over for breakfast: one six-year-old; one four; one two; and one one.

What a blessing they all are to me.

I measure my day as BC and AC--"before coffee" and "after coffee." grin

Bob
0 31 Read More
Church News
22 hours ago
Christ is in or midst!!

Thanks, Alex. I thought that, if this were true, it would be a reversal of the freedom the Church experienced after the fall of communism. It made no sense to me.

Bob
2 163 Read More
Church News
Yesterday at 07:45 PM
Dear Bob,

That is absolute MP propaganda. The Pochaiv ("Pochaev" is Russian) Lavra is, in fact, a monastery that has historically belonged to the Kyivan Church. The ones that have turned Churches and Monasteries in Ukraine and Russia into museums have been the former Soviet Union with whom the Moscow Patriarchate worked in close cooperation (as it was obliged to do _ although there were many times in the history of Christianity, including that of the ROC itself, when Christians chose the path of martyrdom rather than work with atheistic regimes).

Both the Pochaiv Lavra and the Kyiv-Pechersky Lavra were, are and will formally become part of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine. But the Primate of the UOC has reiterated time and again that NO force will be used to return these ancient Kyivan Shrines back.

And once they are back with their rightful owners, please be assured they will never be "museums." And the St Sophia Cathedral of Kyiv, will also become the Cathedral Seat of the Metropolitan of Kyiv once again. It will one day, we hope, will also become the Seat of the Patriarch of Kyiv and Ukraine. The Moscow Patriarchate will have to get used to the new realities there, even though they are kicking and screaming and even though their agents are working overtime to sow the seeds of disinformation everywhere right now.

As for Pochaiv itself, there is a new Venerable Father by the name of St Amphilokkhy of Pochaiv. He was not only an ethnic Ukrainian, but a Ukrainian patriot who helped heal wounded Ukrainian anti-Soviet guerrillas within the walls of Pochaiv. This is, of course, never mentioned by the MP which only extols him as a great ROC saint.

The unification of all Ukrainian Orthodox (and also groups of ethnic Russian Orthodox) Christians within the Orthodox Church of Ukraine continues as more and more parishes of the MP there declare their allegiance to it. I understand that there are now some Ukrainian Catholics who are opting to become Orthodox within the new Orthodox Church as well - we shall see how it all transpires. Alex
2 163 Read More
Prayer
Yesterday at 10:47 AM
It's okay. Finnish and Estonian languages are related to each other. Some words are same, some are not. And sometimes the same word has a different meaning.😁
7 214 Read More
Town Hall
01/16/19 09:21 PM
Late orthodox Archbishop Paul of Karelia and All Finland was a very respected and beloved Church leader.
Once someone asked The late RC Bishop Paul ( Yes, Paul, too) of Helsinki and All Finland : How to call a Bishop? Episcopus Paul answered: Well, The simpliest way is to call him as Father 😁
4 134 Read More
Faith & Theology
01/16/19 07:44 PM
So what texts do your bishops use for the Synodikon of Orthodoxy? I would hope no one is anathematizing Bekkos, Barlaam, Akindynos and Prochoros Kydones. We are Catholics after all. :-)

So what does your bishop use?
0 49 Read More
Town Hall
01/16/19 05:19 PM
Definitely Father in the Orthodox Church. I read that in Finland the late Orthodox Archbishop Paul was called "Father Archbishop." I wonder, if that was applied only to him, or if it's a Finnish thing. In Slovak, one does say, "Otec Biskup N.", literally "Father Bishop".
4 134 Read More
Prayer
01/16/19 05:13 PM
Sorry, my bad. That was Estonian , not Finnish. Sorry to confuse. Continued prayers for the bishop.
7 214 Read More
Prayer
01/16/19 03:39 PM
That's true. Herra tietää kaiken. The Lord knows all.
7 214 Read More
Prayer
01/15/19 06:57 PM
No matter. A bishop needs prayer. We pray. The Lord knows all.
7 214 Read More
Prayer
01/15/19 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Administrator
. Jumalaga, isa Anti.

Must Be Google translation😁Do not quite understand...
7 214 Read More
Town Hall
01/15/19 08:08 AM
That makes sense. We have had 3 or 4 permanent diacones here in Finland after Vaticanum II. At The moment, none.
4 134 Read More
Church News
01/14/19 08:48 PM
Christ is in our midst!!

I saw an article on the website of the Moscow Patriarchate that describes a move by the Ukrainian government to take the monastery back and return it to being a museum. Has anyone seen that? I wonder what the reason for that would be. The article says there are 200 monks and 50 novices who live there at this time.

Bob
2 163 Read More
Town Hall
01/14/19 08:43 PM
Christ is in our midst!!

I want to hazard a guess and say that the Latin West is still getting used to deacons who do not advance to the priesthood. The diaconate for men who will not advance to the priesthood is still in its infancy: only being re-established after Vatican Council II.

Bob
4 134 Read More
Town Hall
01/14/19 06:45 PM
Why diacone is called "father" in The East, but not in The West?!?🤔
Why The practicy of The latin rite is different in this case?
After all - diacone is part of The glergy...
4 134 Read More
Prayer
01/12/19 10:43 PM
Prayers for Bishop Teemu. Jumalaga, isa Anti. May the Lord God grant him fullness of healing and then many years in health and salvation!
7 214 Read More
Prayer
01/12/19 05:27 PM
Prayers for Bishop Teemu. Jumalaga, isa Anti
7 214 Read More
Vespers, Matins & the Divine Liturgy
01/11/19 08:06 PM
In the Melkite Church the use of different translations is tolerated. At the parish I belong to here in Virginia both the priest and the congregation use "ages of ages". It's actually a more literal translation.
2 192 Read More
01/11/19 08:30 AM
Sometimes I wonder, should it be infact better to have more freedom in using different translations?!?🤔
2 192 Read More
Prayer
01/10/19 09:05 PM
Bishop Teemu (Sippo) of Helsinki and All Finland is sick and in hospital.
Saint Panteleimon, pray for our Bishop.
Pyhä Panteleimon Palkattaparantaja, rukoile isä esipaimen Teemun puolesta.
Brothers and sisters, pray for our Bishop.
7 214 Read More
01/10/19 04:13 PM
Hello, I am a Latin that occasionally attends a Melkite Divine Liturgy. I notice that the priest uses a translation that is different from the official Melkite translation - using "unto the ages of ages" as well as various other diversions from the text. The Melkite website says "All other translations are suppressed." Is it common for clergy to use translations that differ from the official translation?
2 192 Read More
Town Hall
01/08/19 06:36 PM
Fr. Al, of course it would be an honor to speak concerning the great missionary work being done through the Orthodox Christian Mission Center (OCMC) as well as some of my own personal experiences in Albania and elsewhere. There are other groups also doing excellent Orthodox missionary work locally and around the world but I have been serving on the Board of Directors (BOD) of OCMC since 2009 and would stay focused on those specific efforts while touching upon the broader themes of missiology at the theoretical level and how they are visible in those efforts.

It is an exciting era which we Christians in the Americas from the eastern traditions are entering as we have largely transitioned from an immigrant church (not that we aren't still receiving large numbers of devout immigrants in our parishes) to a successful, established presence with the finances and personal capital to go beyond the boundaries of our parishes and dioceses.

It is such a blessing to share the fascinating accounts from our missionaries as non-Christian peoples entertain for the first time that God, in His love for humanity, may have become incarnate in the person of Jesus of Nazareth, suffered on the cross, and rose from the dead in glory. Many times, these groups in their own pagan/animist/polytheistic belief systems are extremely receptive to the logic of an incarnate god, a god who suffers during His time on earth, much as they themselves suffer through droughts, floods, economic disruption, pestilence, oppression, and disease. At the same time, many traditional cultures around the world are cautious of or are reconsidering ties with Islam as the radicalization of it in many places has brought great strife and even wholescale warfare.

If I continue writing, you won't need to invite me at all, but then you won't get to see my photos from Berat. I'll forward you my contact info and we can talk at your convenience.
7 670 Read More
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2019. All rights reserved.