The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Sebastião, NJC89, AsOnDryLand, Joe R, FrEugene
5595 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (rakovsky, Anaphora, 1 invisible), 67 guests, and 425 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,708
Posts411,772
Members5,595
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Eparchial & Parish Events
07/21/19 10:03 PM
May the Lord God grant to His servant, the priest Richard, a blessed repose!

Eternal Memory! Vičnaja jemu pamjat!
4 140 Read More
07/19/19 11:05 PM
What a beautiful "Christian ending...."!

May his Memory be Eternal!

VIchnaya pamjat!
4 140 Read More
07/19/19 12:48 PM
Memorial Services for Father Richard “Rick” Rohrer

On Wednesday, July 24th, there will be 2 memorial services at SS Cyril and Methodius in Cary, NC in order to accommodate the number of people anticipated.

10 AM Divine Liturgy and Panakhida, followed by a potluck luncheon

6:30 PM Divine Liturgy and Panakhida, followed by a reception

**Please RSVP to sscyrilmethodius@gmail.com or call the parish at (919) 239-4877 and indicate which service you will be attending, how many people and if you will be bringing a dish (not required to attend**

In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to Project Rachel or the St Nicholas Orphanage in Ukraine. Make checks out to SS Cyril and Methodius and indicate on note line “Project Rachel” or “Orphanage”
4 140 Read More
07/19/19 12:48 PM
Today at 12 PM (New York Time) 7PM (Kyiv Time) we hope to begin the Parastas for newly departed Fr. Rick at the Church of Ukrainian neo-martyrs at vul. Stryiska 31. A live stream will be provided on his Facebook page (Richard Paul Rohrer). All-nighter vigil with the reading of the gospels will follow.

Завтра о 19.00 за Києвом (12.00 за Нью Йорком) розпочнемо священичий парастас за новопредставленим отцем Річардом у храмі Новомучеників УГКЦ за адресою вул. Стрийська 31. На цій сторінці буде проводитися пряма трансляція. Далі буде всенічне чування з читаннями Євангелій.
4 140 Read More
07/19/19 12:47 PM
This message from Facebook

Glory to Jesus Christ!

My name is Father Iouri Koslovskii, and I have the unfortunate duty to address all of you, fr. Rick’s friends, from His Facebook page, with the notice of His passing into the House of the Lord. He died on Sunday night, July 14, at 10:35 PM Kyiv Time (3:35 PM EDT).

For many of us, Father Rick was so much more than just a Facebook friend. He was a person who always left a mark on the soul of the people that he befriended. With his sincerity, love, intentionality to help and serve, honesty, openness, knowledge, and spiritual integrity he entered lives of so many of us like an angel of God’s calm and simple power.

His last dream was that of transferring to Ukraine and working on Project Rachel (post-abortion reconciliation ministry). His trip to Ukraine two weeks ago was arduous. After a nine hours flight to Prague, there was no other option but to take a bus into Ukraine, which takes about 17 hours. He was then detained at the border and spent 12 hours sorting out the situation. I was allowed to pick him up late at night, and when I met him at the gate of the facility, I expected to see a tired and exhausted man after several days of sleepless trials. Instead, I was met with this big smile on his face and a spring in his step. Something, I didn’t see in him for years. And it was not just an expression of the end of challenging adventures. It was happiness for having arrived at the place that he longed for in years.

His last day was the day of the Lord, Sunday. He celebrated a beautiful liturgy in the morning. After lunch, even though it was raining heavily and the temperatures were low, we took a trip together with my family to Stradch, a place of pilgrimage outside Lviv, where monks inhabited caverns since the twelfth century. We visited the church and the graves of the many people who chose to be buried there entrusting their souls to the everlasting prayers of the monks. The same mount became a place of martyrdom for members of our Church at the hand of Soviet soldiers in 1941. We came back to the facility where we attended a dance competition of our students and then during the little dancing night that followed. He asked one of our teachers to a dance. Finished it, bowed and with a smile on his face collapsed to the ground.

If you knew him, you would know how much he appreciated dancing. Two days ago, he was preaching at the vespers inviting everyone to learn to dance, because otherwise, you will be bored in heaven (Psalms 149:3). The lady that danced with him last said that he probably never realized what happened to him and just kept dancing on, but in front of the Heavenly Altar.
4 140 Read More
Prayer
07/17/19 05:10 AM
Prayers for your mother's stabilization so she can be released from the hospital and continue the progress she had been making in therapies for her ongoing independent function.
CS
16 1,009 Read More
Prayer
07/16/19 06:03 PM
Kyrie eleison.

I had one parent and one set of grandparents who rode "the CHF roller coaster".

It is stressful for all involved.

Prayers continuing.
16 1,009 Read More
Prayer
07/16/19 06:02 PM
Prayers for Bob's mother!
16 1,009 Read More
Prayer
07/16/19 06:02 PM
Prayers for Beverly!
3 112 Read More
Prayer
07/16/19 03:06 PM
Christ is in our midst!!

My mother was sent to the hospital on Father's Day, spent a few days there, returned to the nursing home, and spent the last 22 days in physical and occupational therapy to get her back to some level of independent function. This morning I just received a phone call that she has been seen by her primary care physician who believes she is in congestive heart failure again. She is being sent back to the hospital as I write this. Please keep her in you prayers.

Thank God for your generosity and thank you.

Bob
16 1,009 Read More
Church News
07/13/19 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by griego catolico

Personally, a much more impressive gifting of relics took place when Patriarch Kirill sent a relic of Saint Seraphim of Sarov to Pope Francis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x4S7NqPyWA

Good thinking. Kirill was courageous and also received criticism.
The Pope in "reply" gave as a gift the relics of Saint Francis of Assisi: http://www.pravmir.com/patriarch-kirill-receives-piece-francis-assisi-relics-birthday-gift-pope/

Serafim and Francis were great saints of their respective traditions, but I think that the Prince of the Apostles has more "importance" in "ecumenical" relations and for history.
20 495 Read More
Prayer
07/13/19 07:46 PM
Looks like a diagnosis has been made and s procedure is scheduled for early August. I'm happy for this ..... it's distressing to see someone losing weight significantly and to be unable to eat. At last things will be taken care of ... thank you for assisting in prayer.
Communion of Saints
3 112 Read More
Church News
07/13/19 03:23 PM
I was surprised by the news when I first heard it, but then I learned that not all the relics of Saint Peter were given to Constantinople.

Personally, a much more impressive gifting of relics took place when Patriarch Kirill sent a relic of Saint Seraphim of Sarov to Pope Francis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x4S7NqPyWA
20 495 Read More
07/10/19 01:26 PM
Bishop Nicholas, Melkite Eparchy of Newton, has established a Melkite Outreach in San Antonio. Bishop Nicholas' announcement and comments . Fr. John is currently serving Divine Liturgy at 10:30 on Sunday with the San Antonio Byzantine Catholic Community (St. Anastasia BCC) 2127 S. Zarzamora St. San Antonio, TX.
0 115 Read More
The Christian East & West
07/10/19 05:41 AM
Thank you very much for your assistance!
3 238 Read More
Prayer
07/10/19 02:06 AM
Prayers!
3 112 Read More
Church News
07/10/19 12:47 AM
Logos TV, based in Slovakia, produces weekly video programs known as "Greek Catholic Magazine" on events happening in Slovakia, Hungary and Transcarpathia. Their website also has live streaming video from cathedrals in Eastern Europe and the Cathedral in Parma, OH. They have initiated a new program in English called "Byzantine Catholic Magazine" to cover events in the Metropolia of Pittsburgh, and the inaugural program was published today here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnK...--8twuo9KUABORK7x2PEQVyVlUXiCcUOByE2x0Xg

David Bratnick shot the videography in Parma and I shot the footage from Pittsburgh. Please share the link and get lots of people to watch. If this is successful, there might be more to come. Watch this space!

Jack Figel
0 158 Read More
Prayer
07/09/19 11:29 PM
Beverly is having some severe physical problems which have persisted for about six months. She can't eat solid food and has lost weight. Although she is working, it must be difficult to keep up her strength. They do not have any answers as of yet, but she really needs help, so I'd like to ask prayers for healing and successful medical diagnosis and treatment.
Thanks,
CS
3 112 Read More
07/09/19 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Santiago Tarsicio
So many understand that the Stations of the Cross are latinizations or hybridity (but, perhaps they may be appropriated and modified to suit the Eastern tradition - for it is something that the Western tradition has developed from ancient times).

PS:

I found this post from 2005: http://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/118751/re-stigmata-and-saints-of-the-east

Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic

The "Passia" service of Orthodoxy, popular in Russia in areas, was a response to the popularity of the Stations of the Cross in the 17th and 18th centuries.

In fact, I have an Orthodox publication of the Stations of the Cross from Eastern Europe where the Orthodox translator includes a prayer for "the dissemination of this beautiful devotion of the Stations of the Cross to all Orthodox parishes." (!)

3 238 Read More
07/09/19 03:46 AM
I think it is better to seek a parish and discuss these problems with a priest, deacon or other authority.

Originally Posted by AsOnDryLand

- is it perfectly reasonable to visit a Novus Ordo parish if one is Byzantine Catholic? For example, if an NO happens to be convenient on a given weekend.

Well, the canon law for Catholics of Latin rite says:

"The obligation of assisting at Mass is satisfied wherever Mass is celebrated in a catholic rite either on a holyday itself or on the evening of the previous day." ( http://www.intratext.com/IXT/ENG0017/_P4L.HTM )

I think that if a catholic of the Latin rite can visit a Divine Liturgy in another catholic rite, then an eastern catholic can also visit another catholic rite. And in practice this is what happens, for example, I see people of the Ukrainian rite in Mass. Mainly because in many countries there are more Latino parishes, then it is often a matter of necessity.

But Canon Law for Eastern Catholics recalls that the believer is attached to a particular church:

"Other Christian faithful are also to foster an understanding and appreciation of their own rite, and are held to observe it everywhere unless something is excused by the law." ( http://www.intratext.com/IXT/ENG1199/_P14.HTM )

"With due regard for the right and obligation to preserve everywhere their own rite, lay persons have the right to participate actively in the liturgical celebrations of any Church sui iuris whatsoever, according to the norms of the liturgical books." ( http://www.intratext.com/IXT/ENG1199/_PB7.HTM )

Ratzinger when he was the "inquisitor" (LOL), wrote in a letter:

"In order to grasp the true meaning of the analogical application of the term communion to the particular Churches taken as a whole, one must bear in mind above all that the particular Churches, insofar as they are "part of the one Church of Christ"(38), have a special relationship of "mutual interiority"(39) with the whole, that is, with the universal Church, because in every particular Church "the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church of Christ is truly present and active"(40). For this reason, "the universal Church cannot be conceived as the sum of the particular Churches, or as a federation of particular Churches"(41). It is not the result of the communion of the Churches, but, in its essential mystery, it is a reality ontologically and temporally prior to every individual particular Church.

Indeed, according to the Fathers, ontologically, the Church-mystery, the Church that is one and unique, precedes creation(42), and gives birth to the particular Churches as her daughters. She expresses herself in them; she is the mother and not the product of the particular Churches. Furthermore, the Church is manifested, temporally, on the day of Pentecost in the community of the one hundred and twenty gathered around Mary and the twelve Apostles, the representatives of the one unique Church and the founders-to-be of the local Churches, who have a mission directed to the world: from the first the Church speaks all languages(43).

From the Church, which in its origins and its first manifestation is universal, have arisen the different local Churches, as particular expressions of the one unique Church of Jesus Christ. Arising within and out of the universal Church, they have their ecclesiality in it and from it."

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/c...h_doc_28051992_communionis-notio_en.html

- If I become Byzantine Catholic, do I have to proclaim that the Orthodox are "schismatic", or is one permitted to have a more intelligent opinion?

Some responses from the Magisterium and the congregation for the doctrine of faith that may be helpful:

http://w2.vatican.va/content/john-p.../hf_jp-ii_enc_25051995_ut-unum-sint.html

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/c...oc_20070629_responsa-quaestiones_en.html

"Christ “established here on earth” only one Church and instituted it as a “visible and spiritual community”, that from its beginning and throughout the centuries has always existed and will always exist, and in which alone are found all the elements that Christ himself instituted.“This one Church of Christ, which we confess in the Creed as one, holy, catholic and apostolic […]. This Church, constituted and organised in this world as a society, subsists in the Catholic Church, governed by the successor of Peter and the Bishops in communion with him”.

In number 8 of the Dogmatic Constitution Lumen gentium ‘subsistence’ means this perduring, historical continuity and the permanence of all the elements instituted by Christ in the Catholic Church, in which the Church of Christ is concretely found on this earth.

It is possible, according to Catholic doctrine, to affirm correctly that the Church of Christ is present and operative in the churches and ecclesial Communities not yet fully in communion with the Catholic Church, on account of the elements of sanctification and truth that are present in them. Nevertheless, the word “subsists” can only be attributed to the Catholic Church alone precisely because it refers to the mark of unity that we profess in the symbols of the faith (I believe... in the “one” Church); and this “one” Church subsists in the Catholic Church."

"The use of this expression, which indicates the full identity of the Church of Christ with the Catholic Church, does not change the doctrine on the Church. Rather, it comes from and brings out more clearly the fact that there are “numerous elements of sanctification and of truth” which are found outside her structure, but which “as gifts properly belonging to the Church of Christ, impel towards Catholic Unity”.

“It follows that these separated churches and Communities, though we believe they suffer from defects, are deprived neither of significance nor importance in the mystery of salvation. In fact the Spirit of Christ has not refrained from using them as instruments of salvation, whose value derives from that fullness of grace and of truth which has been entrusted to the Catholic Church”."

"The Council wanted to adopt the traditional use of the term. “Because these Churches, although separated, have true sacraments and above all – because of the apostolic succession – the priesthood and the Eucharist, by means of which they remain linked to us by very close bonds”, they merit the title of “particular or local Churches”, and are called sister Churches of the particular Catholic Churches.

“It is through the celebration of the Eucharist of the Lord in each of these Churches that the Church of God is built up and grows in stature”. However, since communion with the Catholic Church, the visible head of which is the Bishop of Rome and the Successor of Peter, is not some external complement to a particular Church but rather one of its internal constitutive principles, these venerable Christian communities lack something in their condition as particular churches.

On the other hand, because of the division between Christians, the fullness of universality, which is proper to the Church governed by the Successor of Peter and the Bishops in communion with him, is not fully realised in history"

- is it perfectly reasonable to pray the Rosary, and to like the Stations of the Cross?

Of course you may like it, it's Catholic, it's orthodox. But they are characteristic of the Western tradition. So many understand that the Stations of the Cross are latinizations or hybridity (but, perhaps they may be appropriated and modified to suit the Eastern tradition - for it is something that the Western tradition has developed from ancient times).

The rosary was a school of holiness for many Eastern Catholics, but the Rosary is also understood as Latinization. One could argue that as private devotion there are no problems, but it is difficult to deny that the Rosary has community use, has a "paralithurgical" function. I think that the Eastern clergy must act in a balanced way, respecting the sensibilities of the people, with understanding.

- Can one be Byzantine, and be interested in Carmelite spirituality? I think here the answer is definitely Yes. There is, I believe, a Carmelite monastery among the Byzantines.

I think it's something like that. Historically the Carmelites have been linked to the Latin Church. Then it may be strange to an eastern catholic. Could someone say that it is hybridity or latinization and that it is not a desired or ideal communion.
3 238 Read More
07/08/19 03:03 AM
Hi! I am exploring Byzantine Catholicism and haven't visited a parish community yet. I was wondering if you could offer any input to these burning questions:

- is it perfectly reasonable to visit a Novus Ordo parish if one is Byzantine Catholic? For example, if an NO happens to be convenient on a given weekend.

- is it perfectly reasonable to pray the Rosary, and to like the Stations of the Cross?

- Can one be Byzantine, and be interested in Carmelite spirituality? I think here the answer is definitely Yes. There is, I believe, a Carmelite monastery among the Byzantines.

- Does one find a mixture of chanters, choirs, and congregational singing among the Byzantines?

- Is confession typically available Saturday afternoon? Is it expected to go to confession a minimum frequency, such as four times a year, or every two weeks, or ...?

I am Orthodox, after having been Catholic. What is attracting me is the fact that it seems to be a way to accept the true sanctity in both the east and the west of Christianity. Orthodoxy ignores the Western saints, and Catholics typically have little exposure to Orthodox and believe, rather simplistically, that they are 'schismatic'. I admire St Therese of the Little Flower, and St Seraphim of Sarov! I admire the intelligent ecumenism of St John of Shanghai--an ecumenism not indiscriminate and based on debasement and appeasement, but on recognizing true Christian sainthood where it has been achieved.

- If I become Byzantine Catholic, do I have to proclaim that the Orthodox are "schismatic", or is one permitted to have a more intelligent opinion?
3 238 Read More
Faith & Theology
07/04/19 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by theophan
Christ is in our midst!!

The term Mother of God came out of the Christological formulations of the first seven Ecumenical Councils. In defining the answer to the question "Who is Jesus Christ?" and its next question "How does this explain His Saving Passion?" the term Mother of God comes out.

Christ is both God and man; eternal and without beginning and also born in time; He has two natures in one Hypostasis or Person. As God He is eternal and without beginning; as perfect man, He is born of a woman. There is a long theology that others may better lay out, but to deny His humanity throws doubt on whether He died as a man in His Saving Passion. One has only to look at all the old heresies about who He is and what is His nature to see how this all evolved.

The Council of Chalcedon, number 4, is where this was finally defined.

Now for Protestants who deny that anything happened in the Church prior to 1517, this all may be something hard to take. But it goes to show that Sola Scriptura has limits. Nowhere do the Christological definitions of the first seven Ecumenical Councils appear in the New or Old Testaments. The question then becomes "How do we know Who and What Jesus Christ is?" IMHO, without the Tradition that has come to us--of which the final definition of what books would constitute the new Testament has also come--there is no way to say with authority Who Jesus is or how our claim that he is God in the flesh has any more validity than the Islamic claim that He is merely another prophet.

Yes, but some Lutheran may argue that in the Lutheran church for a correct exposition of Sacred Scripture there are the Confessions of Faith and that, therefore, it is no problem for him the divine motherhood of Mary (not by chance that I said earlier that this understanding is not uniform in Protestantism):

The Augsburg Confession:

"Article III: Of the Son of God.

Also they teach that the Word, that is, the Son of God, did assume the human nature in 2] the womb of the blessed Virgin Mary, so that there are two natures, the divine and the human, inseparably enjoined in one Person, one Christ, true God and true man, who was born of the Virgin Mary, truly suffered, was crucified, dead, and 3] buried, that He might reconcile the Father unto us, and be a sacrifice, not only for original guilt, but also for all actual sins of men."

http://bookofconcord.org/augsburgconfession.php#article3

Epitome of the Formula of Concord:

"VIII. The Person of Christ.
7. Hence we believe, teach, and confess that Mary conceived and bore not a mere man and no more, but the true Son of God; therefore she also is rightly called and truly is the mother of God.

9. Therefore the Son of God truly suffered for us, however, according to the property of the human nature which He assumed into the unity of His divine person and made His own, so that He might be able to suffer and be our High Priest for our reconciliation with God, as it is written 1 Cor. 2:8: They have crucfied the Lord of glory. And Acts 20:28: We are purchased with God's blood.

10. Hence we believe, teach, and confess that the Son of Man is realiter, that is, in deed and truth, exalted according to His human nature to the right hand of the almighty majesty and power of God, because He [that man] was assumed into God when He was conceived of the Holy Ghost in His mother's womb, and His human nature was personally united with the Son of the Highest."

http://bookofconcord.org/fc-ep.php

The Solid Declaration of the Formula of Concord:

VIII. The Person of Christ

24: On account of this personal union and communion of the natures, Mary, the most blessed Virgin, bore not a mere man, but, as the angel [Gabriel] testifies, such a man as is truly the Son of the most high God, who showed His divine majesty even in His mother's womb, inasmuch as He was born of a virgin, with her virginity inviolate. Therefore she is truly the mother of God, and nevertheless remained a virgin.

http://bookofconcord.org/sd-person.php
19 829 Read More
Faith & Theology
07/04/19 07:43 PM
The placement of the Lutheran pastor Joshua Pfeiffer is very good: It seems that Jordan Peterson has not yet understood the gospel depth.

Note: One problem I see in the "political right" (some of these people influenced by the thinking of Jordan Peterson) is that for them Christianity has its usefulness in cultural warfare, Christianity is as if reduced to a subculture or some ethical system. It's very good to hear Jordan himself recognize that Christian faith requires a more radical response from the person (but in any case, he seems far from being called by the Gospel).

1 317 Read More
Church News
07/04/19 06:17 PM
20 495 Read More
Church News
07/04/19 05:59 PM
Personally I see Patriarch Bartholomew as a blessing to the Christian world, perhaps I have some affinity (yes, I know he has opposition in the orthodox world, just as Francis has opposition in the Catholic world too). Perhaps my vision of the Orthodox Church has even changed, more or less as Shevchuk said:

"I have to say, this step by the Church of Constantinople has destroyed certain schemes of ecumenical dialogue that took hold during the time of the Cold War. The primary and privileged interlocutor in this dialogue in the context of the Cold War and Ostpolitik was always Moscow. Dialogue with the entire Orthodox world was understood in this direction. Now, it has to be rethought, not only in terms of how to conduct the dialogue, which has to be updated, but the entire concept has to be rethought. There are various expressions of Orthodoxy. Perhaps this will be interesting for highlighting various forms of ecumenical dialogue. Up to this point, we Catholics often have projected upon the Orthodox world an ecclesial form that’s basically Catholic. A single Orthodoxy doesn’t exist, like there’s a single Catholic Church. What you have are various local Orthodox churches. It’s a mistake to consider one of these churches as an exclusive spokesman for all. I think the one that really has to be respected, according to the rules of the Orthodox world, is the Patriarch of Constantinople, because, he’s the first among equals. Therefore, this gesture is also a challenge. I’ve said that these two events will mark a new period in the history of the Universal Church. I don’t believe it will be an easy period, but definitely interesting, and also an impulse of the Holy Spirit."

https://cruxnow.com/synod-of-bishop...x-independence-is-affirmation-of-rights/

(I suppose an orthodox opponent might say yes, Bartholomew is inventing and so it is dangerous)
20 495 Read More
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2019 (Forum 1998-2019). All rights reserved.