The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Alexander T., Raphael1999, Adrián Badida, fr nick, Andres Belizario
5640 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (theophan), 178 guests, and 93 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Byzantine Nebraska
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,826
Posts412,415
Members5,640
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Town Hall Jump to new posts
Greek Catholics in Serbia LaudeturIesus 07/02/20 04:21 PM
Is anyone aware of a list of Eastern Catholic churches in Serbia, whether of the Greek Catholic Church of Croatia and Serbia or of another church sui iuris? All I've been able to find online is the cathedral in Ruski Krstur but there are 20 or so other parishes in northern Serbia as well.
0 6 Read More
Prayer Jump to new posts
Re: Rev Fr. Daniel George falls asleep in the Lord Administrator 07/01/20 12:48 AM
May the Lord God grant to His servant, the priest Daniel, a blessed repose in a place of joy and light.

Eternal Memory!
1 54 Read More
Prayer Jump to new posts
Rev Fr. Daniel George falls asleep in the Lord Michael_Thoma 06/30/20 05:10 PM
[img]https://tinyurl.com/yc75ru5a[/img]

The following message was posted yesterday by St. Gregorios Orthodox Cathedral, Bellwood, IL (Indian Orthodox):

Beloved Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

With profound sadness would like to inform you all that our beloved Daniel Achen has gone to eternal rest at the bosom of his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. A faithful servant of God throughout his life and leading our congregation for the last 25 years, Achen breathed his last, a few minutes ago. Please pray for Achens' soul to rest in peace. Also, keep Achens' sorrowing family in your prayers, to give them strength and peace during this very difficult time.

Abi Achen is now at Daniel Achens residence comforting the family and leading prayer services. Further information of the proceedings will be communicated as we receive them from Achens' family.

Also, at this point requesting to please not to rush to Achens' residence or call them as the family needs some time to settle down and prepare for the next events.

" GO IN PEACE O GOOD AND FAITHFUL SERVANT OF GOD"

[img]https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...102260405a44e60a31d3f649&oe=5F200A69[/img]
1 54 Read More
Scripture and Patristic Writings Jump to new posts
Re: Primacy of St. Peter theophan 06/30/20 12:32 PM
Christ is in our midst!!

Andy:

You miss the nuance here. Both Pope St John Paul II and Pope Emeritus Benedict expressed their OPINION that the death penalty ought to be used sparingly and only when the community had no other option. But this expression is NOT opposition to it per se. This is NOT a change in official Church teaching--a teaching that spans the whole 2000 years of Church history and that has been taught in an unchanged fashion during the whole of that time.

Conversely, what Pope Francis did was instruct that the Catechism of the Catholic Church, the compendium of official Catholic teaching, be changed to reflect a NEW take on this subject. It's akin to changing some portion of the New Testament to suit a current opinion.

The CCC was commissioned by Pope St John Paul II in the wake of the confusion after Vatican II as to what was officially Catholic teaching. There were those who, after Vatican II, taught that EVERYTHING was negotiable and up for grabs, while others maintained that official teaching could not change but that the Council had only asked for a fresh explanation of it and how it was to be put into practice. Big stuff here. The problem is that there are still certain elements in the Church who still think that the former position is still an option. Think about it. If everything is up for grabs, how does one know what is necessary for a right relationship with Christ? If that is the case, how does one know what the Truth is? If that is the case, what are we doing, what is necessary on our pilgrimage, and are now back to being as lost as people were before Christ came?

Do you see the difference? Do you see the implications?

Bob
31 1,822 Read More
Re: Primacy of St. Peter Andy Makar 06/29/20 06:18 PM
I wonder if the death penalty would be a good example of liberalism. As previously noted, the push did not begin with Pope Francis. Pope John Paul II did come out in opposition, as did Pope Benedict, both of whom I would peg as more conservative than liberal. The death penalty is not something that fits neatly into a pro-life posture. As Pope John Paul noted, it is more applicable to societies that have no other methods of protecting their members. But we have other means of keeping dangerous people from running free. So, is the death penalty really necessary or is it simply a method of appeasing a blood-thirsty human urge?

There are other issues that I might go along with folks on being liberal theology. But I think one could make a good-faith conservative theological argument for being against the death penalty in the 21st Century. Conservatives have made this argument in the political realm as well. It is at least possible that Pope Francis is right on this one.
31 1,822 Read More
Re: Primacy of St. Peter theophan 06/29/20 01:37 PM
Christ is in our midst!!

Andy:

Actually it's a bit Orwellian. Last year in my parish we had a discussion of this very issue and we referred to the CCC. After the most recent pronouncement, the new line is the only line for the clergy. Their vow of obedience makes it so. A cardinal who holds that this is wrong has been given a sinecure post and has almost no responsibility at a time when his many gifts could be of great use. Enforcement is no problem. Take the time to reassign anyone who disagrees. OTOH, the disease of liberalism has taken hold in many quarters in the United States.
31 1,822 Read More
Re: Primacy of St. Peter Andy Makar 06/29/20 12:46 AM
Well, exactly how does he enforce it. If dissident priests or bishops maintain older views, what does he do? Its one thing to promulgate the policy. Quite another to enforce it. It could get undone by a modern Mark of Ephasus.

Didn't Pope Saint John Paul II start the discussion in the first place? And Pope Benedict also picked up on the topic. At least that's what the Vatican News put out.

But then I'm not a death penalty fan anyway. It really does pander to our passions.
31 1,822 Read More
Vespers, Matins & the Divine Liturgy Jump to new posts
Re: What happened to the Chaldean liturgy? Michael_Thoma 06/28/20 09:28 PM
This is my concern with remaining in the Catholic Eastern Churches, rather than transferring to its Orthodox sister church. It seems no matter what the Pope says, what history shows, what the current Synod states; a new Patriarch/Head and two or three supporters can undo it completely. One would think all the rhetoric about a strong Papacy would prevent this, but praxis shows the exact opposite.
3 145 Read More
Re: What happened to the Chaldean liturgy? theophan 06/28/20 08:54 PM
Christ is in our midst!!

There was a discussion of the Chaldean Liturgy on this board some time ago. It seems that there had been a reform that returned it to its historical roots, following the instruction of Vatican II to the Eastern Churches. That reform was being used in the eparchy in CA. Then a new patriarch was elected. The Chaldean Synod and he did another revision. There was some back and forth about the CA eparchy not using the latest revision because it was a radical departure from what had just been so carefully researched and introduced. When the bishop of the CA eparchy retired, a new bishop was sent from the Middle East and the latest version was introduced.

I don't understand what the push is among Eastern Catholic bishops to imitate the Latin Church's liturgical praxis, but that seems to be their starting point.

The Chaldeans seem to have been moving toward a liturgical practice that would be similar to the Church of the East, but this latest move seems to have moved them far away from that.

This seems to be what I have seen in the posts and following other online sources.

Bob
3 145 Read More
Re: Primacy of St. Peter Utroque 06/27/20 01:43 AM
Originally Posted by theophan
Christ is in our midst!!

Pope Francis decided to change 2000 years of Catholic teaching and instructed that the Catechism of the Catholic Church be changed to reflect his ntew teaching..

Bob

He is and shall be!

Me thinks you're serious about this. After 14 years on the forum, this is my final post! Sayonara!
31 1,822 Read More
Re: Primacy of St. Peter theophan 06/27/20 01:10 AM
Christ is in our midst!!

Andy, the theory is in practice now. Pope Francis decided to change 2000 years of Catholic teaching and instructed that the Catechism of the Catholic Church be changed to reflect his ntew teaching. The is no mechanism to stop him. Check out his change to the Church's teaching on capital punishment.

Bob
31 1,822 Read More
Re: What happened to the Chaldean liturgy? Ray S. 06/26/20 10:34 PM
Good question. I can tell you that the Ethiopian Rite church in Washington DC seemed close to a Novus Ordo Mass, but that is the opinion of lay person.
3 145 Read More
Re: Primacy of St. Peter Andy Makar 06/26/20 08:12 PM
There is a lot of good theory here. But I am left with the question of what Papal Primacy means in application. Judging by the track record of the last century, the Pope has absolute primacy in doctrine. But woe betide the Pope that actually tries to assert it!
31 1,822 Read More
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2020 (Forum 1998-2020). All rights reserved.