The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
G Craig Dunford, hydra, Kind, Augoustinos, Poliscifi
5607 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 99 guests, and 426 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Byzantine Nebraska
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,761
Posts412,086
Members5,607
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Town Hall Jump to new posts
Re: UNESCO Recognizes Byzantine Chant theophan 12/14/19 08:34 PM
Christ is in our midst!!

Wonderful news.

Might as well be here. But it could go into any of a number of our forum categories: Church News; The Kleros; Vespers, et al.

Best wishes to our brethren here who love, practice, and keep this treasure a living tradition that enhances worship, edifies the faithful, and--most of all-gives glory to GOd.

Bob
1 43 Read More
Parish Life & Evangelization Jump to new posts
Re: Confusion about dissenters. AllCatholic 12/13/19 08:38 PM
Above, I said, "I was sadder when our parish was condoning abortion." This implies that the parish is no longer supporting abortion.
This implication is wrong. Nothing has changed about the parish, except that the pastor is no longer overtly giving this ProAbort the Eucharist,
but this is only because they left the parish.
12 1,245 Read More
UNESCO Recognizes Byzantine Chant AllCatholic 12/13/19 05:38 PM
Not sure if this belongs in this forum, but here it is.

"An important distinction for Greece and Cyprus was announced by UNESCO on Wednesday, when the two countries’ proposal
to the Organization to include the Byzantine Chant on its List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity was approved."

"UNESCO notes that ”As a living art that has existed 2000 years, Byzantine chant is a significant cultural tradition and comprehensive music system."”

UNESCO Recognizes Byzantine Chant As Part of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
1 43 Read More
Parish Life & Evangelization Jump to new posts
Re: Confusion about dissenters. AllCatholic 12/13/19 05:13 PM
No worries. I understand.

The person of concern informed others that they are no longer a member of the parish. And, as mentioned before, I stepped down after ten years of service with the parish. I left the door open to attend Divine Liturgy.
I am saddened by the situation, but I was sadder when our parish was condoning abortion.

Another idea I had about withholding the Eucharist from folks in grave error. Some pastors believe they could never do that, but it can be likened to giving the person a timeout. Stop what they're doing, let them think about it, study and talk about the church's teachings, and reconsider their beliefs and actions, just like a parent would do with a child who is harming themselves and others around them. By taking no action to clear up the scandal, he ended up losing both of us in some significant way. Mea culpa for any way in which I mishandled things.

In Our Most Holy Theotokos... +
12 1,245 Read More
Geek Hall Jump to new posts
Re: Eparchy of Parma App Ray S. 12/13/19 01:00 AM
Thanks for the information. I am going to download it now!
1 45 Read More
Geek Hall Jump to new posts
Eparchy of Parma App orthodoxsinner2 12/12/19 05:48 PM
Hi,

I downloaded and have been using their app on my smart phone. http://myapp.boundarytechnology.com/promo/Eparchy%20of%20Parma

It has everything that I am looking for: Daily readings, hours, DL, prayers Synaxarion, et. al
1 45 Read More
Photo Gallery Jump to new posts
Byzantine Nebraska orthodoxsinner2 12/11/19 01:02 AM
1) St George's UGC Chapel in Lincoln 2) RC Chapel in Omaha used by the same community.
0 75 Read More
Re: Visit to UGCC Chapel orthodoxsinner2 12/10/19 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by orthodoxsinner2
Hi all,

It probably has been some time since I last posted (5 + years perhaps).

I have since relocated to Lincoln, NE. I can't say for sure how long I will reside here but at least until August.

I have kind of been all over the place on my spiritual journey. I have not gone to an Orthodox Church or a Catholic Church for about 7 years.

As many of my previous posts have dealt with considering returning to the Catholic Church I believe I may actually be in a position to make that happen since there is a small UGCC Chapel here in Lincoln.

Today was my first visit. It was a pleasant and spiritually uplifting experience. It was the priest's last Sunday as he is going back to Ukraine. He told me that the Liturgy would be all in Ukrainian which is fine because I was pretty sure that I could follow along even though I don't know any Ukrainian.

He actually did do a healthy amount of English which was very nice of him.

He said there will be a visiting priest for the next 2 weeks and then the new permanent priest would arrive the following week. I am assuming the priest comes from Omaha which is only an hour away and there is a UGCC parish there.

If anyone has any info on Eastern Catholicism in Nebraska that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I think my dates are off by a couple of years. It only feels that long. However, what's important is that I have attended an Eastern Catholic Church 2 weeks in a row and plan to continue. Prayers are greatly appreciated
2 129 Read More
Re: Visit to UGCC Chapel orthodoxsinner2 12/10/19 04:17 AM
Looks like their is also a Ruthenian presence here. I attended their liturgy in Omaha this past Saturday. From what i can gather they alternate weekly between using a RC Church in Omaha and St George's UGCC in Lincoln.
2 129 Read More
Monk Elder Ephraim left at 91 year old hydra 12/09/19 07:36 PM

Elder Ephraim, the Monk Who Established 19 Monasteries in North America, Dies at 91

https://usa.greekreporter.com/2019/...monasteries-in-north-america-dies-at-91/
0 20 Read More
Church News Jump to new posts
Re: Patriarch Bartholomew says reunion with Catholics is inevitable Ray S. 12/08/19 11:06 PM
Good points Bob
9 535 Read More
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2019 (Forum 1998-2019). All rights reserved.