The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
JasonJohn, SmellOfTheSheep, Colana, Mister, NikosLaos
5472 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Fr. Al, 2 invisible), 63 guests, and 73 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Portable Icon Screen
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,481
Posts410,419
Members5,472
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Prayer
2 hours ago
"America's Preacher" has now become America's Intercessor.
3 42 Read More
Town Hall
2 hours ago
While it's not my area of law, and it's possible that I missed a new opinion, AFAIK federal funding has never been pushed this far. It would allow the central government to get too involved the affairs of institutions.

For example, a court can delve into the sincerity of a person's religious beliefs, but not the truth thereof, or whether a doctrine is heretical to its institution.

If the federal money were highly directed rather than general, or targeted to another area, such standards *could* apply. For example, if the feds funded a lecture series, they could require neutrality or breadth in the series (and probably could not forbid it), but general student aid, or a chemistry lab, won't allow intrusion into political or religious affairs.

There *have* been programs (unconstitutional, IM!HO) broadly denying categories of funding, such as denial of all or parts of highway funds for speed limits or DUI laws, or Title IX (which has been badly abused), but these are far cry from a private right of action under the First Amendment. So far, in fact, that I would expect Rule 11 Sanctions to be more likely than success.

hawk, esq.
3 151 Read More
Church News
3 hours ago
Vinny Zee:

Christ is in our midst!!

Welcome to the forum. I hope that your membership here will be fruitful for you spiritually.
Bob
8 1,201 Read More
The Kliros
Yesterday at 08:28 PM
JasonJohn:

Christ is in our midst!!

Welcome to the forum. I hope your coming here will be fruitful for you spiritually.

Thank yo for the link.

Bob
1 10 Read More
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2018. All rights reserved.