The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Vigilante, Poliscifi, The Cub, P H, Hardrada
5603 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 75 guests, and 447 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,738
Posts411,943
Members5,603
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Prayer Jump to new posts
Re: Please pray for Beverly Communion of Saints 10/17/19 03:39 AM
I just found out today that Beverly died on the 3rd of this month. She had been receiving treatment for cancer. Thank you for your prayers.
7 670 Read More
Town Hall Jump to new posts
Re: Sunday obligation dochawk 10/16/19 05:31 PM
I'm going to blame the news software for this epidemic of broken quotes.

Yeah, that's it; the software . . .

smile
9 852 Read More
Re: need help P H 10/16/19 04:16 AM
i looked didnt see any prayers to nectarios for healing
2 64 Read More
Faith & Theology Jump to new posts
Re: Not the Two Sides of the Same Coin Administrator 10/15/19 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Vigilante
Yet I disagree with the "we have begun the road to communion by talking to each other" part. That's an overestimation of yourselves (or of yourself, because not all the forum folks here might think in the same way). Reminder, here's how things stand in both the Roman Catholic Church and the Greek Orthodox Church: the high-ranking clergymen are the descendants of the Apostles, and only they have the authority to decide over these things; and they already have begun and have been talking to each other for decades. It's not as if the Pope from Rome and the Patriarch from Constantinople wouldn't talk to each other, and that they and the bishops have lost their authority, and "it's up to the laity" and a few priests and monks (a few Catholics and a few Orthodox, mostly laypeople, who are having conversations on an on-line forum) to undo the Schism.

I disagree with this.

It is true that bishops are the ones with the authority to decide these things.

It is also true that laymen taking interest in them and forming friendships do much to encourage their bishops to push to resolve any remaining issues.

Over the last 20+ years I have had the privilege of attending the "Orientale Lumen Conferences", organized by a layman in the Byzantine Catholic Church named Jack Figel (taking place mostly in the United States but also in places like Istanbul (Constantinople)). Each conference has about a 10 or 12 speakers selected equally from the Eastern Catholic, Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches. Participating bishops have commented publicly on their usefulness, mostly because the conferences have provided them an opportunity to spend time together and form friendships. Plus, the bishops are reminded that laymen care about these things.

There are others as well.

I will agree that online forums like this one are less able to contribute than events where people actually come together. But their contribution is not nothing.
20 363 Read More
Re: Feast of the Great Pumpkin Administrator 10/15/19 12:07 PM
Mark your calendar!

"It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" airs twice this year, Tuesday, October 22 at 8 PM ET and again on Sunday, October 27th at 7 PM ET.

Linus is certain that this year he has the most sincere pumpkin patch in all the world. He's already sleeping in the patch as he awaits the Great Pumpkin!

[Those of you outside North America probably have no idea what I'm talking about!]

biggrin
3 910 Read More
Re: Papal Speech: To Psychiatrists. With Annexes Vigilante 10/13/19 09:45 PM
Have posted this for the education and the general knowledge of anyone who will read it.

Me-thinks, that the pope has said some important things in this brief speech:
• "(N)o adequate assessment of the nature of the human person or the requirements for human fulfillment and pyscho-social well-being can be made without respect for man's spiritual dimension and capacity for self-transcendence."
• "(N)o genuine therapy or treatment for psychic disturbances can ever conflict with the moral obligation of the patient to pursue the truth and to grow in virtue."
• "(T)here is ever more clearly a relationship between the appearance and aggravation of certain illnesses and mental disturbances [e.g., neuroses], and the crisis of [authentic] values which society is experiencing."

I've seen and heard some priests insist to the contrary, that "anxiety disorders and depression have nothing to do with sin," and sending 'neurotic' people to psychiatrists, where -- I say and am convinced, that -- more competent pastoral counselling could've helped them better.

There are two big problems with Secularistic Psychology and Psychiatry: it mostly rejects virtue, and it denies the existence of the spiritual plane of reality. By denying the existence of spiritual beings (God, angels, souls of deceased humans, and demons), it denies the possibility of any thoughts coming from other sources than a man's own brain and nervous system. Yet there exists an odd phenomenon: people who are being chronically afflicted (plagued and pestered) by morbid, obscene, and otherwise bothersome involuntary thoughts, and who insist that those thoughts don't come from themselves. Secularist psychologists and psychiatrists are at a loss at how to understand and what to do about that phenomenon.
2 32 Read More
Prayer Jump to new posts
Re: repose of the soul of Rev Daniel Bitsko Administrator 10/12/19 03:48 PM
Eternal Memory! Vičnaja jemu pamjat!
1 93 Read More
Eparchial & Parish Events Jump to new posts
Re: Melkite Bishop Samra marks 50 years Administrator 10/12/19 03:47 PM
May the Lord God grant to His servant, Bishop Nicholas, many years in peace, health and salvation!
1 85 Read More
Re: Who we are Vigilante 10/12/19 11:10 AM
You know, people usually expect from a thread titled 'Who We Are' to find out more about the owners of the site and forum. This:

http://www.byzcath.org/index.php/about-us-mainmenu-60/about-this-site-mainmenu-70

http://www.byzcath.org/index.php/about-us-mainmenu-60/about-byzantines-mainmenu-62

And this:
"Eastern-rite [or, Byzantine-rite] church, also called Eastern Catholic Church, [is] any of a group of Eastern Christian churches that trace their origins to various ancient national or ethnic Christian bodies in the East but have established union (hence, Eastern-rite churches were in the past often called Uniates) or canonical communion with the Roman Apostolic See and, thus, with the Roman Catholic Church. In this union they accept the Roman Catholic faith, keep the seven sacraments, and recognize the pope of Rome as supreme earthly head of the church. They retain, however, all other characteristics – e.g., liturgy, spirituality, sacred art, and especially organization – proper to themselves." (source: "Encyclopaedia Britannica")

If you want to tell all Christians that they're welcome, then the thread should be titled 'Who Is Welcome Here' or 'All Christians Are Welcome'. Though it usually goes without saying, that all people who behave decently are welcome on an on-line forum. But perhaps you want to tell people what sort of conversations are accepted, on which topics -- about Catholic, Orthodox, and even Reformed/Protestant teachings and practices.
15 25,717 Read More
Re: Ritual Washing in Orthodoxy...? theophan 10/10/19 06:56 PM
Vigilante:

Christ is in our midst!!

"your inner room" can also mean your private heart where no one but your Father can see and where Christ should be living with you. I have become adept at praying in public places and with lots of people around, but no one would know because I don't do audible prayer in such situations. People just think I am deep in thought or distracted.

Bob
12 668 Read More
Re: Regarding Icons as Profile Pictures Vigilante 10/10/19 05:49 PM
I also don't like to have my mind associate one or another icon with one or another forum person. "That's the icon that Jack had as his profile picture."
4 177 Read More
Re: Jordan Peterson and Bishop Barron: Catholicism and the Modern Age Administrator 10/09/19 06:25 PM
Vigilante,

I am interested in anyone who proclaims Christ. I am also interested in anyone who works for a better society.

I have watched a number of Bishop Barron's videos. He's usually interesting and I often profit from watching them. I suppose some of his videos deal exclusively with the life of the Latin Church, and those would be less interesting to me. But often he discusses how the Church should present the Gospel to modern society. When he does, I can learn something.

Regarding the conversation between him and Dr. Jordan Peterson, I can see how he presents the Gospel to Peterson, a man who is very obviously seeking understanding. And I can learn how to speak of Christ.

John
6 905 Read More
Scripture and Patristic Writings Jump to new posts
Re: Bible Software Administrator 10/07/19 04:03 PM
The Cub,

I'm unaware that the King James Bible has been officially deemed "heretical" by the Catholic Church. Can you please provide an official reference to support this clam? If you don't have one, I recommend withdrawing that claim.

The KJV is certainly not the most accurate of translations. There are some issues with the source material it was translated from, as well as some Protestant bias. But in my mind nothing can match its linguistic beauty. I have found that the KJV-21 is a worthy update. It modernizes only what was unintelligible and (as I understand) utilizes both recent scholarship and older Greek and Hebrew texts.

[Of course, the Old Testament is based on the Hebrew texts and not the Septuagint as used in the Eastern Churches.]

Prayers,

John
41 105,580 Read More
Re: Last Divine Liturgy Hagia Sophia Administrator 10/05/19 11:49 AM
This is a great story!

Father Noufrakis, pray for us!
1 196 Read More
2019-10-05 - Forum Software Upgrade Administrator 10/05/19 11:48 AM
2019-10-05 - The software used to power The Byzantine Forum has been upgraded from 7.7.1 to 7.7.3.

Please let us know if you encounter any issues. Thanks!
0 25 Read More
Re: Akathists: Jan Hus, Charles the Martyr theophan 10/01/19 02:13 PM
Actually I just realized I am unable to PM you. Would you recommend me sending my address via alternate means? My email is aedanramey@gmail.com, please feel free to use it as you wish.
7 1,811 Read More
Re: Acceptance of Eastern Orthodox saints theophan 09/30/19 09:29 PM
Christ is in our midst!!

Many years ago I was in a fraternal meeting when one of my brethren started going off on Protestants: they're all wrong about Christ, they're going to Hell, etc. So I told them this story.

You may get to Heaven and St. Peter will assign you a place. He will tell you that you will be sharing a six by nine foot room that has bunk beds, a small closet, no windows or doors, but open ceiling. You will be rooming with Jimmy Swigert; he's been there first and the closet is pretty full; also he has the lower bunk so you will have to negotiate if you want to make any changes. He dislikes Catholics to a great degree. (So is this Heaven or Hell?) Many of the rest of us will be entertained by sitting above you, looking down into your room and enjoying your discussions with Jimmy Swigert.

Told the same story--reversed--to a Protestant who was going off on Catholics. The change was that he would be with the last Pope who would have far more clothing crammed into the closet.

I have to admit that the vast bulk of my extended family is Protestant, from Anglican to Evangelical and all in between. We get along because we love each other and are very sad that we cannot share the Eucharist.

The point of all is that there is no room for hatred. People are placed where they are by the Lord according to His Plan, not ours. Our job is to witness in love to the gift we have been given and listen patiently to those who have been given a different view than we. I happen to agree with my Orthodox brethren on many things that dismay my fellow parishioners and clergy. But they don't go off on a tangent because they know that there is no guile with me and I can explain graciously why I hold what I do. Some see me as too strict, given the current Latin Catholic praxis, but that is their business; If I am strict with myself and am not pushing others, I am witnessing to the fact that there is something greater in our Faith practice that needs to be recognized.

Bob
30 1,135 Read More
Parish Life & Evangelization Jump to new posts
Re: Confusion about dissenters. theophan 09/30/19 09:12 PM
AllCatholic:

Christ is in our midst!!

I would be a little compassionate with your pastor if I were you. He may have addressed this with the person privately to no avail. In the Catholic tradition, a minister of the Eucharist is not allowed--so I have been told--to publicly refuse the Eucharist to anyone who approaches. I addressed this to my pastor about three decades ago when I was asked to be an Extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist. I knew many people in my line who were not Catholics because of my work in the community and I asked if I could refuse--since the normal announcements about who should and who should not approach. He told me emphatically that to refuse is NOT permitted, even when we know that the person is not one who should approach.

Best now to address this with your bishop, but you may get the same response.

I shudder when I read the Communion Epistle of St Paul wherein he admonishes us to examine ourselves before we approach. Unfortunately, we have developed an attitude of entitlement in the past half century that would never have occurred before.

Bob
4 323 Read More
Photo Gallery Jump to new posts
Re: Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil Santiago Tarsicio 09/29/19 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Philippe Gebara
AMAZING, Santiago!!!!

Greetings from a Melkite Greek Catholic from Brazil, Rio.

Ps.: Mande-me uma mensagem privada. Estamos trabalhando em uma parceria ou convivência ucraíno-melquita!

PS:

I have restrictions on this forum, I can't send private messages.
2 1,609 Read More
The Christian East & West Jump to new posts
Re: Where can I find the "anti-poaching" directives from Rome? Santiago Tarsicio 09/29/19 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Administrator
Santiago,

I highly recommend you update your terminology to match that of Rome. Never forget that Rome has chosen to speak of the Orthodox Churches in the Catholic Catechism: 838 "The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter." 322 Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church." 323 With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound "that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord's Eucharist." 324

I expect that you use terminology picked up from older, pre-Vatican II documents. Since the, the Catholic Church has chosen to emphasize what we hold in common, while never neglecting the disagreements we need to work on. I suppose it could also be that English might not be your native language, so you are using older terminology that is simply not used anymore.

Thanks!
John

Hello,

(Yes, for particular reasons English is my fourth or fifth language, I'm practicing, posting to forums is like an "exercise")

For me the Second Vatican Council is perfectly orthodox and Pope Francis a blessing from God, there is no reason to worry.

But I have no problems with other terminologies, but I understand that sometimes we can't "scandalize the weak", you're right. However, it is well known that post-conciliar terminology has been misused to spread relativism and confusion, so I find it more appropriate when it is necessary not to give room for reigning confusion and relativism, is a "provisional" decision which I deem appropriate. There are Catholics today who do not accept Catholic dogma, this is tragic.

Returned to thread, a document from the 1992 Congregation for the doctrine of the faith says:

"Since, however, communion with the universal Church, represented by Peter's Successor, is not an external complement to the particular Church, but one of its internal constituents, the situation of those venerable Christian communities also means that their existence as particular Churches is wounded."

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/c...h_doc_28051992_communionis-notio_en.html

That is, the absence of communion generates a wound in ecclesiality of the Orthodox churches, that is, it is a wound related to the Catholic faith and not only of a disciplinary or canonical nature.
4 301 Read More
Church News Jump to new posts
Re: Pope Francis gives relics of St. Peter to Orthodox patriarch Santiago Tarsicio 09/26/19 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by griego catolico
Hmmm, I was thinking today...

At one time the Basilica of Saint Peter was the patriarchal church of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, albeit the Latin one, now abolished.

Then I read this:

A patriarchal basilica used to refer to those churches at Rome ceremonially assigned to one of the Patriarchs. It must be distinguished from the concept of a major basilica which is a canonical class of church which includes four of the five patriarchal basilicas (excluding St Lawrence's) but which has been more generally extended to include any of several churches in which the high altar is reserved to the Pope or his representative.

Since the early 13th century, the "patriarchs" referred to in the title Patriarchal Basilicas were the Latin Rite ceremonial Patriarchs who lived as ornaments of the Papal Court and are now abolished, not the Eastern Patriarchs of those same cities. Before the late 20th century there was also a wish, never realised, that the basilicas would be seen as pertaining to the Eastern Catholic (or Orthodox) Patriarchs of the same cities to which the titles applied. In other words, once these Patriarchs were "reconciled" to the Catholic Church, these basilicas would become their Roman bases.

In 2006, Pope Benedict XVI formally abolished the title of “patriarchal basilica” previously given to these churches, and they should now be referred to a "papal basilicas". The traditional associations with the Five Ancient Patriarchates remain, but without any official standing.

The name patriarchal referred to these churches each having been assigned to one of the patriarchs. There were five:

San Giovanni in Laterano (St John Lateran, the Pope)
San Pietro in Vaticano (St Peter's Basilica, Patriarch of Constantinople)
Santa Maria Maggiore (St Mary Major, Patriarch of Antioch)
San Paolo fuori le mura (St Paul outside the Walls, Patriarch of Alexandria)
San Lorenzo fuori le Mura (St. Lawrence outside the Walls, Patriarch of Jerusalem)

Source.

Having read this, it doesn't seem to be unusual now to me that Pope Francis would gift some relics of Saint Peter to the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople. Maybe His Holiness Francis sees Saint Peter Basilica as belonging to His All Holiness Bartholomew. I know it's a stretch of the imagination, but who knows...

Well, the basilicas in Rome were associated with the Latin patriarchates, today suppressed - except the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, which must subsist, for there are even Jews converted into the Latin Rite in Jerusalem. Currently they are only papal basilicas.

The gesture seems to me to be the result of friendship, Francis and Bartholomew are true friends.

Also:

Benedict XVI did not use the title of Patriarch of the West, the old understanding of West and East is obsolete, the world is globalized and Christians live in diaspora - besides there are Protestant Christians, title of "Patriarch of the West" would be more ideological than properly real.
22 2,395 Read More
Eastern Catholic Canon law pre-CCEO Kyrie Eleison 09/26/19 01:31 AM
I'm currently researching how the Eastern Catholic Church's functioned pre-Vatican II and I'm wondering if there are any specific canon laws that relate to the Eastern Catholic Church's prior to the creation of the CCEO? It would be great if anyone could provide any sources on how the east functioned prior to Vatican II. I also know about Pope Leo XIII Orientalium Dignitas.

Thanks and Godbless
0 56 Read More
The Christian East & West Jump to new posts
Re: May Roman Catholics become aware that the Eastern Catholic Divine Irish_Ruthenian 09/22/19 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by The Cub
I am a Roman Catholic. Most Roman Catholics are unfamiliar with Catholicism, in general.

...and most all Catholics are unfamiliar with eschatology. Everyone talks and studies the End Times, except Catholics (for the most part).....and the End Times are about us !
I can not think of a better way to play directly into the hands of Satan.....than to stick our heads in the sand and be silent, as he slithers around stealing souls

"Guard thyself then, O man; thou hast the signs of Antichrist; and remember them not only thyself, but impart them also freely to all. If thou hast a child according to the flesh, admonish him of this now; if thou hast begotten one through catechizing, put him also on his guard, lest he receive the false one as the True. For the mystery of iniquity doth already work. I fear these wars of the nations; I fear the schisms of the Churches; I fear the mutual hatred of the brethren. But enough on this subject; only God forbid that it should be fulfilled in our days; nevertheless, let us be on our guard." St. Cyril of Jerusalem, Bishop and Father of the Church; Lecture XV

???? And you know this how????

How does a defeated enemy steal anything? Yes, the evil one goes about causing a ton of evil, but all souls belong to Christ, who saved us from the enemy of our souls. Would Christ allow that which He paid for in His precious Blood and through agony to be stolen from Him by a third-rate cosmic clown?
3 512 Read More
Re: Protestantism and the Holy Theotokos The Cub 09/21/19 12:58 AM

“You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me; yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.” (Jn 5:39-40)

“And he took bread, and when he had given thanks he broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me." (Lk 22:19)

“So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me. This is the bread which came down from heaven, not such as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live for ever." (Jn 6:53-58)
21 2,063 Read More
Prayer Jump to new posts
Re: Prayers for Karlene's surgery Communion of Saints 09/18/19 03:13 AM
Sounds like surgery went well though I don't know too much about details, just that she is doing well.
Deo Gratias!
2 194 Read More
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2019 (Forum 1998-2019). All rights reserved.