The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
EFOF91, deanjr, Hunter, Dwain LaFlamme, JeanLCP
5510 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (ast82401, Hunter, 1 invisible), 57 guests, and 335 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Portable Icon Screen
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,549
Posts410,731
Members5,510
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
The Christian East & West
3 hours ago
Originally Posted by theophan
So how is such a "baptism" a baptism?
Interesting that you mention baptism; it is the connection to the minister of marriage issue that concerned me and I had almost mentioned it in my last post. That is, the Church can delegate with the understanding that it is the Church as the body of Christ that acts. Thus:

CCC
V. WHO CAN BAPTIZE?

1256 The ordinary ministers of Baptism are the bishop and priest and, in the Latin Church, also the deacon.57 In case of necessity, anyone, even a non-baptized person, with the required intention, can baptize58 , by using the Trinitarian baptismal formula. The intention required is to will to do what the Church does when she baptizes. The Church finds the reason for this possibility in the universal saving will of God and the necessity of Baptism for salvation.59

Can this approach be applied to the question of the minister(s) of matrimony in a way that meets East-West sensibilities (even given that the above CCC would be an issue for the Orthodox). There is an expression that I can't recall -- something like, the Church provides what is lacking -- that though minimalist, gives at least a basis for exceptions to the norm.

This LINK is lengthy and detailed but it tries to consider every facet regarding intent. This is the typical western, dissecting, differentiating approach (I am myself a "God is in the details" guy who sees in scholasticism the seed that grows into the scientific method) but, I believe, it could have a place as a foundation for an eastern, integrating expression of mystical theology.
17 1,634 Read More
Faith & Theology
9 hours ago

ajk:

Glory be to Jesus Christ!!

Do you think that the use of boiling water is linked to the idea that our God is a "Living Fire," as some descriptions of Him have it? Then there is a Didactic Verse in my Orthodox prayerbook that reads

"O mortal, when thou makest ready to receive The Master's Body, come with fear, lest thou be burned: For It is Fire."
Glory forever.

I'd say this is a subjective, interpretive imagery (see below at the end) that fits.

It reminds me of St. Paul's admonition to us in part of the Communion Epistle (Corinthians 11:27-29) in the same prayerbook: "Whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the Body and Blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread, and drink of the cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's Body."

It is no accident that the invitation is "With the fear of God, with faith, and love, draw near."
Yes. (BTW the Rthenian Recension does not have the "and love" that is in the Volgata recensions.) Scripture and liturgy have a depth of meaning. My comments actually sprung from a translation consideration hence the reference to the RDL (I also looked at the 1967 translation where the word water also appears though it's less prominent than in the RDL. This post is in this forum rather than the RDL because I didn't want to start a new thread and it is a continuation of this one.)

Since it's based on translation and wanting to practice what I've preached, "literal a possible, free as necessary" (NSRV preface), I've tried to stay close to the "letter." I had it in my notes to mention the most explicit scripture reference but neglected to include it in the post as intended. It is:

BGT Romans 12:11 τῇ σπουδῇ μὴ ὀκνηροί, τῷ πνεύματι ζέοντες, τῷ κυρίῳ δουλεύοντες, (Rom 12:11 BGT)

literally: by diligence not slothful, by the spirit fervent, by (means of) the Lord serving

[The nouns are in the dative, so I take it as a dative of means, so literally by means of ]

A favorite dictum of mine regarding understanding and interpreting is from Hugh of St. Victor, “De Scripturis et Scriptoribus Sacris,” PL 175, c13, which I see as complementing the NRSV objective from a medieval perspective:

Litteram legimus sed non secundum litteram, We read the letter but not according to the letter -- as you have appropriately done.

21 13,868 Read More
Vespers, Matins & the Divine Liturgy
Yesterday at 06:09 PM
While rather a traditionalist and prefer the altar and the priest facing East and behind the Iconostasis , I wouldn't mind the other way too. As lang as all is done in devotion and reverence.
8 7,358 Read More
Town Hall
06/21/18 10:42 PM
Your heart is open; I will pray that your wife finds hers similarly opened.

It would be a wonderful blessing to have mother and child Baptized on the same day.
4 70 Read More
Faith & Theology
06/21/18 09:40 PM
You all are awesome. Thank you for all of the wise words.
7 223 Read More
06/20/18 09:03 PM
There is a book called "Let us Pray to the Lord" from Eastern Christian Publications that I believe is similar to a Roman missal. Sorry, I've never used it myself, but it looks like it contains the text of the Divine Liturgy along with all of the proper prayers. Here is the link:

http://ecpubs.com/product/let-us-pray-to-the-lord-a-liturgical-prayer-book-volume-ii-2/
2 636 Read More
06/19/18 08:31 PM
I cense at the conclusion of the hours. The chanter sings "O, Heavenly King," unless it's during Festal seasons in which case it would be "Christ is Risen," or whatever else applies. This, I understand, is a Carpatho Rusyn practice.
In ROCOR, I censed during the sixth hour, with the Serbs, at the Great Doxology, since liturgy followed immediately. I always cense the whole church, but a nearby Ukrainian priest senses only from the Iconostasis. He has people suffering from Black Lung disease, that's why he does that.
5 442 Read More
Church News
06/19/18 08:26 PM
"Orthodoxy is Euro-centric" ???? Ah, Antioch, Alexandria, and Jerusalem are ot in Europe, and Constantinople barely so. That's nt even to mention Addis Ababa, or the growing numbers of Malabars and Malankars in India.
23 3,642 Read More
Church News
06/19/18 08:11 PM
The situation in Syria is far from clear-cut. The statements of the patriarchs, while understandable, is also one-sided and wrong in its condemnations. Yes, we understand that the Assad regime - pursuing a French-style secularist model - has been protective of and good for the Christian minority. However, it is one thing to praise the regime for te good it has done, but it is decidedly wrong to attack the United States and allied nations attempting to protect those who are innocent in ths civil war. Yes, I agree it was the United States' under the Obama regime that inserted itself into the intenernal affars of a sovereign nation and was one of causes of the present quagmire. However, though well intended it was poorly conceived or executed.

Having served as military chapain to the very intelligence services that are accused of, i.e. "US intelligence's propensity to magnify these lies for geopolitical aims, it is not only reasonable but a simple duty to meet these reports with skepticism"is, may I get;y point out, misdirected. The "intelligence services" proved data, the conclusions and responses are made by those higher up in "the food chain" and by the administration and elected officials.

Intelligence information is usually a "mish-mash" of conflicting information from a variety of sources with varting degrees of credibility out which an attempt is made to "turn on the fog-lights" and provide a somewhat clearer view of events - and all of this in a reasonable time frame. Are errors sometimes made? Yes! Does self-interest and/or prejudices cloud sources? Yes! Are the intelligence services sometimes duped by othere? Also, yes! But are our intelligence people honest, hardworking people trying to serve the best interest. Also, decidedly yes!

For example: President George W Bush made decisions regarding Sadam Hussein based upon some pretty obvious raw intelligence inputs regarding weapons of mad destruction that came from British intelligence and some other pretty impeccable sources. Years later it turns out that the "intelligence" actually was misinformation planted by the Mossad, the intelligence service of our erstwhile "friend" - the State of Israel! Looking back, and having seen some of the same raw "intelligence" myself, Frankly I would have made the same decisions myself.

I understand and appreciate concern of the patriarchs, however, their attacks on the coalition nations is unwarranted and below the dignity of their offices which are supposed to transcend national boundaries.

PS May I also point out that one Catholic patriarch did not sign the document - Syrian Catholic HB IGNATIOS JOSEPH III, the former Syrian Catholic bishop of Newark, New Jersey, who is also an American citizen!
5 788 Read More
Church News
06/19/18 07:24 PM
HH Patriarch MAXIMOS IV of blessed memory is quoted as having said that his "greatest mistake was accepting a cardinal's hat."

It may be intended as an honor but, possibly unknowingly, a definite step-down from being the "head and father" of an equal Church, to that of being an "appointee" of another particular Church.

"Primus inter pares", not "Primus super pares" or, as one wag has called it, "Roma über alles."

It is no slight or slap at the petrine office to be forthright in defending the dignity of our own Churches in this communion of Churches that we call the Catholic Church. "Primacy yes, supremacy no."
5 434 Read More
Geek Hall
06/19/18 06:05 PM
I don't believe so, I've only seen the app advertised, nothing being put on the internet from what I can tell. Sorry.
2 105 Read More
Eparchial & Parish Events
06/19/18 01:17 PM
Will the installation of Bishop Milan be broadcast over the internet??
0 95 Read More
The Revised Divine Liturgy
06/18/18 03:49 PM

Also, a pdf of the book,

Studies on the Byzantine Liturgy - 1
The Draft Translation: A Response to the Proposed Recasting of the Byzantine-Ruthenian
Divine Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom
Serge Keleher

is available at this link.
2 169 Read More
Town Hall
06/18/18 03:31 PM
Greetings in the Lord,

Is there anyone who can volunteer to translate short christian animation for children in the Georgian Language, each is around 7 minutes long... translation could be audio or written to any of the following languages: Arabic, English, French, Greek or Russian. It doesn't have to be grammatically correct, it can be "spoken language" translation. Of course, the animation is for the church, and has no commercial purpose in anyway. Thank you.

In Christ.
0 49 Read More
Town Hall
06/17/18 06:10 PM
Thank you, Alice! Yes, I agree with you. Hollywood is at least somewhat resonsible for portraying the father as a dummy in popular culture. It started with Archie Bunker . Then came Homer Simpson, Al Bundy, and finally that disgusting Family Guy, which I can't bear to watch.
1 51 Read More
Town Hall
06/16/18 01:26 PM
Why not call Fr. Alexander and find out?
5 1,592 Read More
Prayer
06/15/18 01:21 PM
I trust the good Father has recovered and is back to serving?
1 256 Read More
Prayer
06/12/18 02:52 AM
Gospodi Pomiljoy!
2 129 Read More
Prayer
06/11/18 02:39 PM
Congratulations! God Bless!
11 1,352 Read More
06/11/18 12:32 AM
June 4, 2018

Dear Cantor:

It is now almost summer and arrangements are well underway for the 84th Annual Pilgrimage to Our Lady of Perpetual Help at Mount Saint Macrina in Uniontown, Pennsylvania. The Pilgrimage will take place beginning Friday, August 31, 2018 through and including Monday, September 3, 2018.

You are once again cordially invited to be a part of this special event in the life of the Byzantine Catholic Church.

How can you participate?

To simplify the process for the 2018 Pilgrimage, we are asking Cantors interested in singing to complete the Online Cantor Participation Form located on the Archeparchy of Pittsburgh’s website.

Please complete the Online Form and submit your response by Friday, July 20, 2018.

First time at Pilgrimage and need a place to stay?

We have negotiated a special discounted rate package for the 2018 Pilgrimage at the Hilton Garden Inn Uniontown.

To get the rate, visit the Hilton Garden Inn Website and select the option to “Add Special Rate Codes” and enter Group Code ANN. You can also call the hotel directly at (724) 434-7200, select Option 5, and mention this Group Rate Code.

May God bless you with continued health, happiness, and good voice, and may the Most Holy Mother of God continue to protect you as you serve in this valuable ministry of our Church.

Prayerfully,

Joseph K. Ferenchick

Joseph K. Ferenchick, MBA
Member, Inter-Eparchial Commission for Sacred Music
Head Cantor, Annual Pilgrimage to the Shrine of our Lady of Perpetual Help – Uniontown, PA
Cantor, Holy Ghost Byzantine Catholic Church – Philadelphia, PA
0 114 Read More
Prayer
06/10/18 05:14 AM
Thank you for your continued prayers. I'm beginning to feel a bit more peaceful and doing pretty well. Many thanks. CS
5 412 Read More
06/09/18 12:52 PM
Dwain,

Prayers for you, your family, and your ministry. May the Lord God lead you to fruitful service to Him for many years!

John
2 179 Read More
Liturgical Translations
06/09/18 12:51 PM
Note: I set Nate's account to full membership in case anyone wants to PM him.
6 525 Read More
Photo Gallery
06/08/18 04:52 AM
I found this very interesting. I did not know that there is a Russian Greek Catholic Church. God Bless to all
1 3,481 Read More
Church News
06/01/18 11:59 AM
http://press.vatican.va/content/salastampa/it/bollettino/pubblico/2018/06/01/0404/00859.html

http://byzcath.org/index.php/news-mainmenu-49/5714-bishop-milan-lach-s-j-appointed-bishop-of-parma

Rome (01.06.2018) - The Holy Father Francis has appointed Bishop of Parma of the Ruthenians (U.S.A.) S.E. Monsignor Milan Lach, S.I., until now Apostolic Administrator, vacant office of the same, transferring it from the head office of Ostracine.

S.E. Mons. Milan Lach, S.I.

S.E. Msgr. Milan Lach, S.I., was born on November 18th 1973 in Kežmarok, in the Archieparchia of Prešov dei Bizantini (Slovakia).

From 1992 to 1995 he attended the Greek-Catholic Theological Faculty of Prešov and in 1995 entered the Jesuit novitiate in Trnava.

After his theological studies at the Theological Faculty of the University of Trnava (1997-2001), he was ordained a priest in 2001 in Košice.

From 2001 to 2003 he worked in the scientific area of ​​the East-West Spirituality Center of Michal Lacko in Košice and later (2009-2011) was Superior of the same Center.

In 2009 he obtained a Doctorate in Eastern Ecclesiastical Sciences at the Pontifical Oriental Institute in Rome. At the same time he was a spiritual father at the Pontifical College Russicum and also a spiritual assistant of the Federation of European Scouts in Rome.

Since 2010 he has been a member of the editors of the theological journal "Verba Theologica".

Since 2011 he has been Deputy-Dean of the Theological Faculty of the University of Trnava, for foreign relations and for development.

On 19 April 2013, the Holy Father Francis appointed him Auxiliary Bishop of the Archiepiscop of Prešov of the Byzantines (Slovakia), assigning him the titular seat of Ostracine.

From 2016 to 2017 he was Visitator of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches of the Seminaries and Eastern Colleges in Rome.

On 24 June 2017, the Holy Father Francis appointed him Apostolic Administrator, vacant seat of the Eparchia of Parma dei Ruteni (U.S.A.).

[00859-IT.01]

[B0404-XX.01]
0 232 Read More
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2018. All rights reserved.