The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Watchgirl, Thom18, Marie P., Paul Tooley, John Shea
5612 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 427 guests, and 438 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Byzantine Nebraska
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,784
Posts412,206
Members5,612
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Scripture and Patristic Writings Jump to new posts
Re: New Translation of Greek OT Utroque 01/21/20 08:12 PM
Since most of the NT writings, when citing the Old Testament, use the Septuagint (Greek) translation of the Hebrew text, it would be most helpful to have this English translation, if,indeed, it be a good and accurate one.
5 123 Read More
Church News Jump to new posts
Re: Newly Ordained Priest Devin1890 01/20/20 05:52 PM
Many blessings upon the new priest.!
2 101 Read More
Books Jump to new posts
New Lenten Book and Combo Special JLF 01/20/20 12:11 AM
We are pleased to announce a new daily reflections book by Fr. Jack Custer entitled Rejoice Isaiah on the readings from Isaiah at the Sixth Hour during the Great Fast.  See the attached Introduction and sample.

We are also offering a combination discount for this new title with our previous Back to the Garden Lenten book, and a 5-book combo discount with a free copy of Journey Through the Great Fast by various authors around the country. See the attached flier and order form.

Have a blessed and prayerful Fast in preparation for Pascha this year! Jack

Link: https://ecpubs.com/featured-products/
0 31 Read More
Re: New Bishop appointed as UGCC bishop of London Devin1890 01/18/20 05:00 PM
May God grant him many years.
1 89 Read More
New Bishop for UGCC Eparchy of Melbourne Pavel Ivanovich 01/17/20 08:23 AM
Pope Francis has just announced that Fr Mykola Bychok CSsR will become the third Eparch of Sts Peter and Paul of Melbourne for Ukrainian Catholics in Australia and New Zealand. He will succeed Bishop Peter Stasiuk CSsR, who has served in the role since 1992.

Fr Bychok, who was born and raised in western Ukraine, studied in Ukraine and Poland. His 15 years of priestly ministry have seen him serve in Ukraine, Russia and - for the past five years - the United States. He will be ordained bishop in Ukraine before coming to Australia to take up his appointment. At just 39, he will become the youngest bishop serving in Australia.
0 22 Read More
Prayer Jump to new posts
Re: For the mother of our Moderator Bob Administrator 01/17/20 02:39 AM
Prayers continue!!!
22 3,448 Read More
Books Jump to new posts
Re: Byzantine Euchologion JLF 01/17/20 01:25 AM
Is this what you're looking for? ECP published it many years ago at the request of Abouna Michael for the Eparchy of Newton.

https://ecpubs.com/product/byzantine-melkite-euchologian/

Jack
3 125 Read More
The Christian East & West Jump to new posts
Re: Drawn East Administrator 01/17/20 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by Thom18
I found a Psalter on Amazon called The Abbey Psalter: The Book of Psalms Used by the Trappist Monks of Genesee Abbey, does anyone have any experience with this one?

That's the large print edition meant for praying aloud? I have it. Very nice. I believe it uses the 1963 Grail Translation. I have a friend who has memorized the entire Psalter in the Grail Translation.

If it works for you, keep using it.
12 450 Read More
Town Hall Jump to new posts
Re: Directory of Eastern Catholic & Byzantine churches? theophan 01/16/20 10:08 PM
Oops. I found it. Thank you!
2 81 Read More
Prayer Jump to new posts
Re: + Father Conan Timoney (Baltimore) orthodoxsinner2 01/13/20 05:49 PM
A life well lived. Eternal Memory!
1 98 Read More
Faith & Theology Jump to new posts
Re: i smell myro in my house for no reason what dose it mean P H 01/10/20 12:05 AM
john i fgured it out so after that we smelled livani then today at hospital dr came n yelled at the team whos saposed to put in a caferter in my mom to drain her he came n yelled at them then they took her for the procedure soon as he left the dr n went down to yell more at them i went out side some time later to get air n walking to the elevator i smelled candle cent of greek church and now for almost a hour we smell livani in my roomn i think saints giveing me n family a sign via doctors
2 179 Read More
Re: Happy New Year Deacon El 01/04/20 01:55 PM
Boldog új évet!
5 240 Read More
Prayer Jump to new posts
Re: Prayers for +Jeff Deacon El 01/04/20 01:31 PM
Blessed Repose and Memory Eternal!
2 165 Read More
Re: Prayers to St. Nektarios Administrator 01/03/20 03:31 AM
The page would not load for me, either, but I found this at the Way Back Machine:

Prayer to Saint Nektarios of Aegina
The Miracle Worker

Lord Jesus Christ, we worship you and thank you with all our hearts, because through your heavenly love for us, you have gifted us with a multitude of saints to act as the ideal models for us to copy, to act as mediators for us, and to offer supplication to you to extol your wonderful and magnificent name with their wondrous deeds, their lives and their miracles.

Bless Lord, the holy day we celebrate today in honor of one of our glorious fathers Nektarios Bishop Pentapoleos the Miracle worker.

You Lord, who has total trust in your Saints, allow the commemorated Saint Nektarios to become our pathway to approach you to receive your heavenly grace, your great mercy and your holy blessing.

Please All Holy Lord accept the intercessions and supplications of our fatherly Saint Nektarios, and because we are unworthy to pray to you directly, the eternal King of Glory, we instead turn to our saintly protector asking him:

Saint Nektarios of Our Lord ,strong in faith, and a model of patience, perseverance, humility and meekness, we respectfully honor your holy memory, and we ask you, who were slandered without cause, and who was strongly tested with dismissal and exile from Alexandria, as you forgave those who wronged you, please watch over us and keep us safe from every evil and temptation.

Intercede Saint Nektarios to the Lord Our God, that he may give strength and success to the Patriarchate of Alexandria, the incumbent of that seat, his flock and his clergy.

Please ask that the Lord our Saviour strengthens with his power and grace both young and old in the Orthodox faith.That he may guide our young and grant good things in full abundance to the Greek nation.

Saint Nektarios of God, you who so respectfully worshipped the Ever Virgin Mary, the Mother of Our Lord, become our humble supplicator to her so that she may protect and watch over our Nation and bring peace,harmony and love to all the world, to the glory of the name of the All Holy Trinity.
7 5,096 Read More
Re: Visit to UGCC Chapel Krysostomos 01/02/20 11:55 AM
Many years! Multos annos! Monia vuosia!
6 514 Read More
New Media from Orientale Lumen TV JLF 01/01/20 10:34 PM
New Year and New Media from Orientale Lumen TV!

Buy one package, get a FREE DVD lecture!

OLTV has produced several new media packages (CD and DVD) during 2019 that are now available on our website:

https://olfoundation.net/featured/

Journey to Pascha: Zacchaeus to Pentecost is especially timely containing 21 homilies by Metropolitan Kallistos of Diokleia on the Gospels from the Sunday of Zacchaeus through Pascha until Pentecost. There are also other DVD packages that would be perfect for a parish Lenten lecture series.

For every Adult Enrichment (AE) package ordered through January 2020 from over 70 topics, we will send a FREE DVD lecture on the mystical theology of one of the Eastern Fathers as explained by Metropolitan Kallistos.

Order now while supplies last!

Free shipping from now through Theophany on January 6th!

[i][/i]
0 50 Read More
New Melkite exarch for Venezuela, administrator for Mexico griego catolico 12/30/19 11:28 PM
The Holy Father has appointed Fr. Joseph Khawam, B.A., as apostolic exarch for Greek-Melkite faithful resident in Venezuela, assigning him the titular see of Apamea of Syria of the Greek-Melkites.

The Holy Father has appointed Fr. Joseph Khawam, B.A., as apostolic administrator sede vacante et ad nutum Sanctae Sedis of the eparchy of Nuestra Señora del Paraíso en Mèxico Greco-Melkiti.

Fr. Joseph Khawam, B.A., was born in Aleppo, Syria, on 14 April 1968. He entered the Basilian Aleppine order of the Greek-Melkites in 1987; he then studied philosophy and theology in Rome, at the Pontifical Saint Anselm University; he gave his solemn vows on 5 August 1995 and on 16 December of the same year he was ordained a priest.

He subsequently held the role of rector of the minor seminary of his Order, pastor of Kib-Elias and rector of Notre-Dame-de-Zahle church. He was appointed secretary of the eparchial presbyteral council of Zahle and member of the eparchial committee for vocations. In 2007 he was appointed Superior of the Convent of the Most Holy Saviour in Sarba and, from 2011 until today, he was Superior of the Convent of Saint George in Bmakine, Souk El-Gharb. In the meantime, from 2011 to 2015, he served as assistant general of his Order. In addition to Arabic, he speaks French and Italian.

Source: https://press.vatican.va/content/salastampa/en/bollettino/pubblico/2019/12/20/191220c.html
0 119 Read More
Vespers, Matins & the Divine Liturgy Jump to new posts
Re: Combining Nativity Compline with Liturgy of St. Basil Administrator 12/30/19 06:36 PM
Hi Devin,

What you describe is not traditional. It as very customary for many Greek Catholics to celebrate an abbreviated Compline followed by the full Divine Liturgy.

John
1 171 Read More
Prayer Jump to new posts
Re: For my wife facing hip replacement surgery Administrator 12/29/19 02:53 AM
Good news!!!

Prayers continue.

Christ is Born! Glorify Him!
34 5,283 Read More
Re: Patriarch Bartholomew says reunion with Catholics is inevitable Utroque 12/28/19 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by P H
umm yes he is

smile Glorifica Eum! smile
25 1,885 Read More
Re: what dose this mean when you smell livwni for no apprent reason P H 12/28/19 12:38 AM
so how do i know if saints r listending what wouldf be a sign that they are
2 240 Read More
Re: need advice n help orthodoxsinner2 12/26/19 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by P H
ive looked but cant find any its comes up other then prayers to saints can you link me to one to pray to my mom for him to heal her of cancer

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/parastos/akathistnectarios.html

Hi, this is an akathist to St Nectarios.
3 374 Read More
Re: Christ is Born! Alice 12/26/19 03:25 AM
Hope all had a blessed Christmas day! Christ is born!
1 126 Read More
Re: InfoVaticana---homosexuality!! DocT 12/24/19 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by theophan
Christ is in our midst!!

Wait a minute. How did a document about the idea of updating the Church's approach and/or attitude toward homosexuality in general get moved to a discussion about homosexuality in the priesthood of the Latin Catholic Church?

It seems tome that these are two distinctly different topics, though they may be related distantly.

Bob

Yes. They are different. Quite so. The only common thing they share is a reference to homosexuality.

I was responding to the challenge to back up my claim that a majority of priests are practicing homosexuals....which I did as best I could considering the lack of scientifically accepted statistical demographic information.

It seems that this article has been misrepresented in several ways. No surprise there.

I suppose that one must ask the question:

If non-celibacy is a mortal sin for priests (whether hetero or homosexual) and the church has been covering this up for decades---- especially when the priests' failures involve young males in the church (85% plus from the statistics I've seen....and these are based on the abuse claims)----it is reasonable to question an article such as the one posted above?

The fact that the church has been silent, complicit and re-directing claims of abuse for so long indicates that it isn't a small subset of priests and a seminary here or there causing the problems. If that were the case, the righteous priests would toss out the non-celibate ones, and those that groomed young men into gay sex would be gone, would they not?

That's the reason I was wondering about the article. I was worried that it had gotten so bad that the Pontifical Biblical Commission is now condoning homosexuality. Thankfully, the answer to that is "no."

But sadly, we can no longer assume the church will take the correct position on these matters, given the track record and current situation.

I think discussions like this are important and they should be done in broad daylight. The article posted necessitated some discussion.

What it didn't necessitate is an argument over statistics.
11 638 Read More
Prayer Jump to new posts
Re: Merry Christmas 2019 theophan 12/24/19 06:20 PM
Glorify Him!!!!

A Blessed Feast to all my brothers and sisters on the Gregorian calendar. Greetings to all my brothers and sisters still in the midst of Philip's Fast.

Bob
1 126 Read More
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2020 (Forum 1998-2020). All rights reserved.