The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
margoogles, silk, Latin Orthodox, SheilaFK, DominicanByzCath83
5552 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 77 guests, and 377 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Portable Icon Screen
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,591
Posts410,994
Members5,552
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
The Other Sacramental Mysteries
4 hours ago
Little Green Coat:

Christ is in our midst!!

You are correct. However, none of the three do you do yourself. The first is done by the Church; the other two are works of the Holy Spirit and are not self in-corporations into the Christ--which the earlier poster asked about.

Bob
3 384 Read More
Church News
10/21/18 06:53 PM
Christ is in our midst!!

This set of events pains me. To me, it is always cause for sorrow when brethren are at odds with each other.

Bob
4 590 Read More
Town Hall
10/19/18 08:39 PM
Christ is in our midst!!

The AP story in our newspaper this morning stated that "if federal prosecutors can show that church leaders systematically covered up for child-molesting priests in the past five years, dioceses could also be charged under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization Act, or RICO, the law originally passed to bring down the Mafia."

"McSwain (the federal prosecutor assigned to this investigation) also demanded bishops turn over any evidence that anyone in their ranks took children across state lines for illicit purposes; sent sexual images or messages via phone or computer; instructed anyone not to contact police; reassigned suspected predators; or used money or other assets as part of the scandal."

This last seems to suggest that paying money as part of confidential settlements could be deemed to be part of an act chargeable under RICO.

I've wondered if this could put a diocese out of business altogether. RICO demolished Mafia operations completely when it was used in court and cases were decided against the them. Guess I'll have to wait and see.
1 151 Read More
Eparchial & Parish Events
10/19/18 03:08 PM
ACROD is the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese, which consists of formerly Greek Catholic parishes that reverted to Orthodoxy and are under the authority of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. They share a common Rusyn heritage with the Byzantine Catholics.

"Stavropegion" refers to churches under the direct rule of a primate, such as a patriarch. It is comparable to the English phrase "peculiar church."

"Oikonomia" or "Economy" in church matters refers to bishops' prerogative to be flexible in the exercise of certain canons, where a rigorous approach would be deemed unnecessarily difficult.
5 729 Read More
Faith & Theology
10/19/18 01:57 AM
Hi Maria,

If you're looking for books related specifically to Eastern Rite Catholicism, a good starting point I think is the "Light for Life" series sold by God With Us books. There are three books in the series and they are $10 apiece for new copies. Your local priest might be able to provide you with some free copies as I've found there are a lot of these lying around at the parishes.

Also, God With Us sells a 6-volume introductory series of catechetical materials for only $15 (for the whole set).

Here are the links to purchase:

https://store.godwithusbooks.org/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_str=light+for+life

https://store.godwithusbooks.org/sp...of-books-on-the-eastern-catholic-church/

As a beginner myself, I found these materials to be extremely helpful.

God Bless You.
3 349 Read More
Prayer
10/18/18 07:32 PM
I have a few matters known but to God.
0 69 Read More
Prayer
10/18/18 07:09 PM
A prayer for the Pontificate of Pope Francis:

Christ, + have mercy.
Christ, + have mercy.

Christ, hear us.
Christ, graciously hear us.

Lord, look upon us in our Faith; do not despise us for our sins; grant us mercy, we pray, and deliver us from the hands of Your enemy.

Blessed Mother, ever-pure, look with kindness upon your children who suffer in exile, and lead us by Your most beautiful hand, to the fruit of your womb, Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Let us pray. O God, who did'st promise that the gates of Hell should not prevail against your pure spouse, our Holy Mother Church, protect Her from the ravages of impurity, protect Her from the wolves who prowl about Her. We turn to You, humbled by our sins but filled with the everlasting hope of your mercy, and beg your supplication for the pontificate of Pope Francis. and beg that you would send Your Holy Angels to deliver him and us. Look upon Your people, O Lord, and save us now.

Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle...

Hail Mary, full of grace...

Hail, O Heavenly Ladder from which God descended.

Hail, O Trauma of Demons.

Save us, + O Wisdom Superseding the Logic of Man.

Save us, + O King of Kings.

Save us, + O Holy One.

Save us, + O Lord.

May these present supplications from impure lips, O Lord, be pleasing to You, and may You always help us to accept Your Will, to conform to Your Will, and to seek You ever more closely. Through Our Lord, Jesus Christ, who liveth and reigneth, in the unity of the Holy Ghost One God forever and ever.
0 22 Read More
Town Hall
10/11/18 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by theophan

No one must put himself or herself in a toxic situation. I've been there with family and in-laws. I avoid contact as much as possible and keep my peace about me--the peace that I know that Christ is in charge here and hereafter and that I can bear these challenges with His help. But I don't have to go looking for more frequent experiences of toxic situations.

The Enemy can use these to weaken our faith. Don't let him. Recognize what this is--pray for your mother and be kind--but don't think you must constantly subject yourself to this because of the 4th commandment of honoring our parents.

Bob

Yes this is part of my problem. The peace I found with Christ when I started praying has been lost, but not because of my mom, because I eventually brought back to Him situations in which I just don't know where His love was in our life.
I often feel like fighting both God and mom because they both make me feel guilty and not enough even if the one physically near me, mom, said that is the last thing she wants to make me feel bad.
I have to convince myself to stop trying to fix both my relationship with Him and her relationship with Him at the same time.

The Enemy has won for now (he has been visiting me in my dreams since the age of 5, trying to scare me, I am no longer scared of him just disgusted and sometimes feel sorry for him too) in his exercise to push me down. When I was 5 I dreamt him and he promised he'd "get me." I wish I could feel as energetic against The Enemy as most Christians are, and get happy to just overcome his attacks and be more assertive and take pleasure from winning a fight. But I just feel like I passively hate him and wish him to just be gone.
6 357 Read More
Town Hall
10/11/18 11:07 AM
No special insights, but when the offices held by Fr Wes (Economos/Finance Officer) and Fr Francis (Judicial Vicar) became vacant as a result of their respective passings, those offices were timely filled respectively by Bishop Gerald and Bishop John with new appointments.

The public statements issued by Bishop John Pazak and Bishop Thomas Olmsted (which have been discussed on this forum) provided the background for the appointment of Bishop Thomas as Apostolic Administrator.
2 249 Read More
Vespers, Matins & the Divine Liturgy
10/10/18 11:49 PM
Zhyve.tv (can also be found on YouTube) is a broadcaster of the UGCC.
2 886 Read More
Books
10/10/18 10:02 PM
Can anyone point me to complete lists of the Recensione Rutena and Recensione Volgata books? I'd like to see how many gaps I have in my collection.
0 114 Read More
Town Hall
09/27/18 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by theophan
I am trying my best to just fit right on in an adopt the customs. However,

Herein in your own words is the problem. You say you are "trying to fit in . . . However"; so you're not really... don't take an attitude that others should follow your lead when you are the newbie in the family.

I didn't get any sense of such an attitude in Ptaszek's post. It seems to me she just feels personally uncomfortable without something on her head.

There are a few older ladies at my ACROD parish that wear little lace things on their heads. Not quite mantillas... doilies, maybe? And occasionally ladies visiting from Eastern Europe will wear full headscarves. Yes, I think it's safe to say that some kind of head covering is traditional in Ruthenian churches, Catholic or Orthodox, even if the tradition is more or less in abeyance in the US. In the "old country" you will see many more women doing it but not 100% of them.
5 458 Read More
Prayer
09/26/18 02:30 PM
May the Lord God grant to his servant, Presbytera Katina, a blessed repose in a place where there is no pain, no sorrow and no sighing, a place where there is life everlasting. Eternal Memory. Vi─Źnaja pamjat!
11 1,262 Read More
Town Hall
09/25/18 02:47 PM
LadyBlue:

Christ is in our midst!!

Part time sounds like a solution until you get into a large parish. What happens if the priest cannot get out of work to do a funeral during the week? What happens to emergencies that always come up?

I'm a funeral director by training and profession. After half a century of being on call 24/7, I can tell you that part time just does not work in some professions. I believe that clergy is a profession like mine from the many conversations I have had with clergy over the years, comparing notes about the demands of our jobs and lives. Just as i cannot tell a family whose loved one suddenly passes at home to wait until I get out of my other job, a priest cannot tell a family that a sudden call for someone suddenly hospitalized will have to wait.

The problem with Catholics is that they do not have the habit of tithing and sacrificial giving. Part of that may be the fact that there is no transparency about how much comes in where the money goes. If the laity had the ability to have meaningful input into parish budgets, that might eventually change. But, currently, the big payouts give the impression that the money is going to pay for past sins and people are angry about that.

Bob
23 1,887 Read More
Eparchial & Parish Events
09/24/18 12:10 AM
Hello All,

My attendance at this event has just been confirmed. I'd like to know if anyone else from the forum is attending or has an interest in attending.

http://www.bcs.edu/2018/09/10/come-and-see-retreat-of-discovery-2/

Thanks!

- Sam
0 181 Read More
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2018. All rights reserved.