The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Alexander T., Raphael1999, Adrián Badida, fr nick, Andres Belizario
5640 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 183 guests, and 66 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Byzantine Nebraska
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,827
Posts412,419
Members5,640
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Parish Life & Evangelization Jump to new posts
Re: Covid-19 and parish life Thomas the Seeker 07/12/20 10:30 PM
Today was the fourth Sunday of Metropolis of Pittsburgh "Green Phase" worship. The Metropolis is allowing 50% capacity even though the Governor of the Commonwealth has specifically excluded religious gatherings from any restriction on "large gatherings."

Attendance today was nearly 100.....about the same as the first Sunday of "Green". The previous two weeks had a decline; last week, being a holiday weekend, was rather poor. But today made up for it.

We ran out of antidoron.

With age restrictions removed, one of the senior chanters (upper 70's) was able to return. We have had a small core choir relocated from the balcony to front pews near the chanter's stand which has provided excellent communication. Week by week I am noticing an increase in congregational singing.

We have had coffee hour following the Liturgy each of these "Green" Sundays. About 1/3 of the congregation attends but the percentage is slowly increasing.

Holy Unction could not be served during Holy Week so it has been scheduled for the evening of July 27, the Feast of St. Panteleimon. It will be quite interesting to observe the level of participation.
2 99 Read More
Church News Jump to new posts
Re: Turkey turning Hagia Sophia into mosque Padraig 07/12/20 01:57 PM
NYT article

The deed is done. 😡
4 391 Read More
Town Hall Jump to new posts
Greek Catholics in Serbia LaudeturIesus 07/02/20 04:21 PM
Is anyone aware of a list of Eastern Catholic churches in Serbia, whether of the Greek Catholic Church of Croatia and Serbia or of another church sui iuris? All I've been able to find online is the cathedral in Ruski Krstur but there are 20 or so other parishes in northern Serbia as well.
0 97 Read More
Prayer Jump to new posts
Re: Rev Fr. Daniel George falls asleep in the Lord Administrator 07/01/20 12:48 AM
May the Lord God grant to His servant, the priest Daniel, a blessed repose in a place of joy and light.

Eternal Memory!
1 142 Read More
Scripture and Patristic Writings Jump to new posts
Re: Primacy of St. Peter theophan 06/30/20 12:32 PM
Christ is in our midst!!

Andy:

You miss the nuance here. Both Pope St John Paul II and Pope Emeritus Benedict expressed their OPINION that the death penalty ought to be used sparingly and only when the community had no other option. But this expression is NOT opposition to it per se. This is NOT a change in official Church teaching--a teaching that spans the whole 2000 years of Church history and that has been taught in an unchanged fashion during the whole of that time.

Conversely, what Pope Francis did was instruct that the Catechism of the Catholic Church, the compendium of official Catholic teaching, be changed to reflect a NEW take on this subject. It's akin to changing some portion of the New Testament to suit a current opinion.

The CCC was commissioned by Pope St John Paul II in the wake of the confusion after Vatican II as to what was officially Catholic teaching. There were those who, after Vatican II, taught that EVERYTHING was negotiable and up for grabs, while others maintained that official teaching could not change but that the Council had only asked for a fresh explanation of it and how it was to be put into practice. Big stuff here. The problem is that there are still certain elements in the Church who still think that the former position is still an option. Think about it. If everything is up for grabs, how does one know what is necessary for a right relationship with Christ? If that is the case, how does one know what the Truth is? If that is the case, what are we doing, what is necessary on our pilgrimage, and are we now back to being as lost as people were before Christ came?

Do you see the difference? Do you see the implications?

Bob
31 2,003 Read More
Vespers, Matins & the Divine Liturgy Jump to new posts
Re: What happened to the Chaldean liturgy? Michael_Thoma 06/28/20 09:28 PM
This is my concern with remaining in the Catholic Eastern Churches, rather than transferring to its Orthodox sister church. It seems no matter what the Pope says, what history shows, what the current Synod states; a new Patriarch/Head and two or three supporters can undo it completely. One would think all the rhetoric about a strong Papacy would prevent this, but praxis shows the exact opposite.
3 281 Read More
Vespers, Matins & the Divine Liturgy Jump to new posts
Re: Preferred PSALTER Translations Pater Cyprianus 06/15/20 05:51 PM
At my little mission, we primarily use the psalter in the translation of Archimandrite Lazarus (Moore). It is dignified, contemporary English and avoids Ye Olde Worlde Englyshe of many translations. The text can be viewed, (with translation notes) here and can be purchased here.

As we produce our own liturgical booklets for our use, we don't encounter the problem of mismatched translations.

The only problem is that Fr Lazarus did not include the Old Testament canticles in his psalter. So I'm having to look to an alternative source for these. I have recently ordered and am awaiting the arrival of this psalter, as I'm told that the translation of the canticles is actually fairly decent. I look forward to its arrival so that I can complete the booklets for the psalms and canticles at Vespers & Lauds throughout the week.
9 1,123 Read More
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2020 (Forum 1998-2020). All rights reserved.