The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
KARIM LEY, Arizona Byzantine, Irenaeus23, Al Masihi, Seavila777
5565 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (theophan, 3 invisible), 86 guests, and 363 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Portable Icon Screen
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,611
Posts411,066
Members5,565
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Church News
1 hour ago
Christ is in our midst!!

What happens to the former heads of the two bodies that met to form this new autocephalous Church? (Patriarch Filaret and the Metropolitan of the Autocephalous Church) Do they retire?

Bob
2 114 Read More
Prayer
1 hour ago
Please pray for the repose of the soul of the Ven. Fr. Basil Cymbalisty OSBM who died after being in a coma for about five weeks in Brazil.

Fr Basil established the Shrine to Our Lady of Gratitude on 3100 Weston Road in Toronto at the former Basilian Monastery of St Gregory. While working trmming branches outside, Fr Basil's eye was accidentally punctured and doctors told him he would lose the eye. After praying to the Most Holy Mother of God n the back of the monastery, he experienced a miracle of healing in his eye and it was saved. People began visiting the site to pray and soon other "incidents of purported healing" became experienced by them. Soon the shrine began to take shape, people of all cultural backgrounds would come to pray and leave votives behind. An outdoor, winterized chapel is there now where Fr Basil would greet visitors, including a busload of American students from Tennessee which I saw when I was there at one time. I regularly brought - and continue to bring - my religion classes to the shrine and witness a wonderful change over the students each and every time. Fr Basil once showed me three medical certificates from doctors attesting to their inability to explain the sudden medical recoveries of their patients. My own pharmacist once told me her husband was suffering from excruciating back pain which no medication could help with. I told her about the shrine and when I returned to the pharmacy a month later she came running up to me to say that she and her husband visited the shrine and that her husband experienced for himself a miracle of healing. After praying on his knees for half an hour before the image of the Most Holy Virgin Mary, the pain in his back was gone. I personally saw Fr Basil bless many who came to him, including young mothers with their children and after blessing them he always directed them to go to the holy image and pray the Hail Mary. He was truly a very holy priest who I and many others believe was appointed by heaven to promote devotion to the Mother of God at that shrine. I just want to add that our Filipino community attend there and held special devotions where they would say 2,000 Hail Mary's continuously..

With the Sants give rest, O Lord, to Thy servant, Ven. Fr. Basil!

Alex
0 5 Read More
Prayer
1 hour ago
Eternal Memory!

Alex
7 851 Read More
Food - Recipes
Yesterday at 09:36 PM
This can be ready in less than three minutes; two generous portions for less than $5.00:

° 1 envelope of Barilla (or other brand) Ready Pasta
° 1 can chopped clams, drained
° 1 tbsp chopped Bruchetta
° 1 tbsp house Italian dressing.

Heat pasta in microwave according to directions.
Meanwhile, open and drain clams
Put all ingredients in bowl, stir and enjoy!
0 26 Read More
Vespers, Matins & the Divine Liturgy
12/15/18 07:18 PM
I don't recall Fr. Serge giving a detailed critique of Liturgiam Authenticam. He did write a book critiquing the RDL, most recently discussed on this forum in Just read Fr. Serge Kelleher's book on the RDL.

Fr. Taft was critical of Liturgiam Authenticam ih his McManus lecture; see Fr. Taft 2007 on liturgical reform, Liturgiam Authenticam, etc..

Originally Posted by Economos Roman V. Russo
In my view the most comprehensive and professional refutation of Liturgiam Authenticam is Professor Peter Jeffery's Translating Tradition: A Chant Historian Reads Liturgiam Authenticam. A Pueblo Book. Liturgical Press, Collegeville, MN. 2005

History repeats itself, see Re: Was RDL, now Q on Father Rober Taft, and repeating my evaluation here again:

Originally Posted by ajk
Originally Posted by Ot'ets Nastoiatel'
For a devastating critique of the delusional Liturgiam Authenticam read Peter Jeffrey's Translating Tradition published by Pueblo. Excerpts are available on line.
I did read Jeffrey's book / Worship articles back in 2008 when the previous forum thread was active. The word delusional applies all right, but to Jeffrey. His book is rather eclectic. He has a gripe that Vatican documents don't present history the way he, a historian of chant, would write history. No fooling, Peter, official documents are a different genre. The remainder of his book is a collection of disjointed (though at times informative and engaging) anecdotes and vignettes that he has collected over time and now assembled and, it seems, desperately wants to share. If there is a designation for the latter it would best be named the hodge-podge school of writing.

I think Jeffrey was at the right place at the right time to become the darling of Worship, America Magazine, the liturgical establishment etc., as a convenient source and reference to blast Liturgiam Authenticam as the epitome of all they dislike and reject about accurate translations, the most important of which is that an accurate translation is for them too much of the text and not enough of themselves as the translators. I thought Jeffrey's approach and critique so wanting in focus that I had to wonder if Taft and company had actually bothered to read it, so eager were they to jump on the bandwagon and play the same old tune. Because oddly enough, Jeffrey is rather conservative in many ways and, as I recall, I got the impression that he was actually quite disturbed by the original post-VCII liturgical and chant debacle, and that he finds rather that the overall correctives mandated by Liturgiam Authenticam don't go far enough.
2 145 Read More
Photo Gallery
12/13/18 08:04 PM
This is extraordinary. How long have you been meeting in this parish?
6 10,262 Read More
Town Hall
12/12/18 04:44 PM
Yes, The Finnish orthodox Church EP uses the Gregorian calendar. There are some small so called private orthodox parishes MP in the country and they ofcourse use the Julian one.😀
8 1,051 Read More
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2018. All rights reserved.