The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
wamj2008, qmitchell, Adam54, Looking East, Dr. J. W. Gibson
5518 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 48 guests, and 306 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Portable Icon Screen
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,560
Posts410,776
Members5,518
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
The Revised Divine Liturgy
8 hours ago

Lampe’s references first give the best critical source followed in parentheses by the Migne reference. I only have access to Migne and the examples that follow are from Migne or other online sources as noted.

Mac. Aeg. hom. is homily 43 of Mark of Egypt ca. AD 390, PG34.777A, on the progress/potential of the Christian man (male) and has the Greek form οἱ τίρωνες, (Latin in the parallel translation, tirones) nom. pl., as one presumably lower-class group that is mentioned along with the poor and unskilled (οἱ ἰδιῶται). In the same volume PG34.832B, cust. cor., his writing Concerning the Care/Keeping of the Heart has τίρων, (Latin, tiro) singular.

Cod. Afr. is the Codex Canonum Ecclesiae Africae in Conciliorum Collecto Regia Maxima, Acta Conciliorum I.914; Canon XC, Concerning the Bishops of Numidea, has the two forms, τοῦ τιρωνάτου gen. sing. (Latin gen. pl., tironum) and τιρώνων (Latin gen. pl., tironum). I presume the genitive form τιρωνάτου is given in Lampe as the nominative τιρωνᾶτος, ὁ.

M. Eust. is martyrum Eustathii, PG.105.376, by Nicetae Paphlagonis, AD 890-900, a later work. In addition to the Greek with Latin translation along side, each page is split horizontally with his Oration XVIII in the top and S.Eustathii et Sociorum Acta Antiqua in the bottom section. Two forms are found on page 404, one in each of the two sections: τήρωνας (Latin, tirones) in the Oratio and τυρωνάτον (Latin, tironum) in the Acta.

The remaining example is Lampe's reference V. Pach. Φ, a vita Pachomii, and is not available online as a file.

These are general references, as Lampe indicates, to recruits or a recruit. And these are, as expected, examples of the Latin word tiro transliterated into the Greek with Greek inflections, and clearly demonstrate that this usage occurs, thus supporting the translation recruit. It was necessary to check these, however, to verify what they do not provide, viz., any direct link to Theodore, that is, they are good examples of general uses of the term but they are not actual examples forming a possible naming or designation of Theodore as "the Recruit." As will be seen Theodore certainly was know to be a recruit, so the designation is correct in general but the question remains, was this the intended meaning for how he was designated as, for example, in the Greek or Slavonic of liturgical texts, iconography, Patristic writings etc...

Some interesting examples directly linked to Theodore are given in the references provided in a previous post #303180 in this thread. In part:
Originally Posted by ajk
Originally Posted by ajk
Originally Posted by ajk

The only internet source I've located so far that at least provides a (scholarly?) reference is this:
St. Theodore of Amasea
Surnamed Tyro (Tiro), not because he was a young recruit, but because for a time he belonged to the Cohors Tyronum (Nilles, Kal. man., I, 105)...
link.

The link to Nilles is provided in the source ...Nikolaus Nilles
But all the facts are not in. More research is needed and checking out "Kalendarium manuale utriusque Ecclesiae orientalis et occidentalis" (2 vols., 2nd ed., Innsbruck, 1896) tonight from my county library isn't going to happen...

Now here's a real hoot: the "Kalendarium manuale utriusque Ecclesiae orientalis et occidentalis" is available online as a pdf! It turns out the often disparaged old Catholic Encyclopedia has provided a very interesting reference...

Anyway, here is the link to the page reference for Theodore of Tyre as given above.

This summarizes the conclusion of the article in the Catholic Encyclopedia that is based on references and commentary in Nilles and these now need to be examined further and critically as was done with Lampe's references.

(to be continued)
32 15,646 Read More
Faith & Theology
07/17/18 11:12 AM

Catechism of the Catholic Church
XI. THE CELEBRATION OF THE SACRAMENT OF PENANCE
1481 The Byzantine Liturgy recognizes several formulas of absolution, in the form of invocation, which admirably express the mystery of forgiveness: "May the same God, who through the Prophet Nathan forgave David when he confessed his sins, who forgave Peter when he wept bitterly, the prostitute when she washed his feet with her tears, the publican, and the prodigal son, through me, a sinner, forgive you both in this life and in the next and enable you to appear before his awe-inspiring tribunal without condemnation, he who is blessed for ever and ever. Amen."
link
2 95 Read More
Town Hall
07/15/18 11:25 PM
Christ is in our midst!!

I think you may be too self-conscious. We have a few Byzantine and Ukrainian Catholic members of our parish who have relocated, joined us, and are far from a parish of their own ritual tradition. No one pays a bit of attention when they cross themselves in a different way. If anything, their witness to a stricter approach to the Eucharist is a prophetic witness to the rest of us.

Bob
3 216 Read More
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2018. All rights reserved.