The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Augoustinos, Poliscifi, The Cub, P H, Hardrada
5604 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 405 guests, and 545 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,744
Posts411,999
Members5,604
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Church News Jump to new posts
Re: Memory Eternal - +Archimandrite Joseph Francavilla Irish_Ruthenian 11/13/19 02:58 PM
Eternal Memory! A wonderful priest and great homilist. He will be greatly missed!
2 46 Read More
Prayer Jump to new posts
Re: For the mother of our Moderator Bob Administrator 11/13/19 02:40 PM
Prayers continue for Bob's mother. May the Lord God send His angels of healing upon her.
18 2,233 Read More
Faith & Theology Jump to new posts
Re: St. Nektarios the Wonderworker P H 11/12/19 12:28 AM
this all started when i put saint ephraim of nea makris oil my aunt gave me when my mom went to hospital to get her chemo port scaned it started in the taxi then its allways in hospital n house
21 6,769 Read More
Town Hall Jump to new posts
Re: Regarding Icons as Profile Pictures Ecaterina 11/11/19 02:33 PM
Vigilante, you are right, in principle. I stand guilty here, too.
Maybe I can explain my case?
The icon is because I respect and thank St. Catherine Great Martyr in particular for the help she gave me in getting back to the church. So the icon also represents a constant prayer from me to her, to watch over me and over what I say here (so it may not be scandalous or illogical, false or insincere, and so I may not smitten someone away from faith because of what I say, so that she tempers me because I am very emotional by nature).
Also the usage of icons on the internet, even as avatars, is for me a quiet way of expressing disenchantment to the secularization that is usually done on the internet, religious symbols being seen as uncool, or bigotry. So it's also a way of expressing my faith.
I personally would not use Christ's icon except as a Crucifix but those who use icons of Christ are most likely doing it as a sign of quiet prayer to Him as well.
Those of Theotokos I did use, and they expressed the same thing - expressing my religious identity and a special devotion to the said saint.
In certain exceptional situations I would use that of Archangels as well.
The internet is sometimes a strange place some times and asking for help and guidance from the saints is something that keeps me more comfortable.
5 361 Read More
Re: Not enough priests; not enough people Administrator 11/11/19 12:51 PM
He is and shall be!

It seems to me that the first question to be asked is: "What is the source of the decline?"

People move. In some places the people have left to move to greener pastures. Here, the Church must follow them. And make decisions about whether the old location is still suitable for a parish, perhaps to reach out the unchurched who still live there. But I think for some parishes in PA and elsewhere this is not the reason.

Very often the issue is with either a poor quality of liturgical worship, lack of community in the parish, or both (the two are mutually dependent).

As to vocations, there is a direct relationship between the quality of liturgical worship, the community in the parish, and the number of vocations the parish grows.
1 67 Read More
Prayer Jump to new posts
need advice n help P H 11/11/19 02:05 AM
hi so i have been asking theotkos saint nectarios saint ephraim of nea makri n saint savvas of kaymnos to heal my mom of stage 4 advanced stomach cancer . shes in the hospital of some set back happend over the weekend so just about 5 minutes ago i was in my kitchen n i smell charcoal as if some one was lighting livani in the kitchen could some one tell me what that means or is . and where can i buy a prayerbook to saints and regular prayers translated from greek to english thanks very much god bless
0 41 Read More
Re: Please help us update the "Links to Parish Home Pages" Augoustinos 11/11/19 01:45 AM
St. Josaphat Ukrainian Catholic Church - Bethlehem, PA

https://www.stjosaphatbethlehem.org/
37 54,427 Read More
Prayer Jump to new posts
Re: Prayers for Fr. Joseph Francavilla Thomas the Seeker 11/10/19 06:45 PM
Beautiful hymn, but an even more beautiful prayer.
3 304 Read More
Parish Life & Evangelization Jump to new posts
Re: Confusion about dissenters. AllCatholic 11/09/19 05:02 PM
Maybe, but I never heard him express such a view.

Update: I did write to the bishop. He confirmed he received my letter. I have not heard more, but this person has not attended Divine Liturgy for the past three weeks.
6 657 Read More
Photo Gallery Jump to new posts
Re: Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil Ecaterina 11/08/19 12:17 PM
Both are very beautiful! Thank you for posting this.
3 1,989 Read More
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2019 (Forum 1998-2019). All rights reserved.