The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
2 Images
Etnick Offline OP
Holy Assumption Orthodox Church

Here are a few photos of the Marblehead,Ohio OCA church.
12 Comments
An Orthodox Church named Holy Assumption?

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
The Greek Orthodox Church that I usually visited was named Assumption Greek Orthodox Church.

Go figure...

E
E
Mary looks like she is sleeping or on a burial pyre. what or how does this depict the Catholic dogma of the assumption? I read on the internet that the holy pictures on the Orthodox altar screen tell the real story of the church name. Do Orthodox depict the asssumption with a pyre?
Ed

What a beautiful Iconostasis.

Grateful
Grateful
Whoa ! cool That's my church ! blush

Thanks, Etnick !

-- JOhn

Etnick Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by harmon3110
Whoa ! cool That's my church ! blush

Thanks, Etnick !

-- JOhn

You're welcome! It's such a quaint little church, I had to post a few pictures of it. biggrin I really had a good time at the halupki festival. The rain didn't dampen the fun. Hope to do it again next year.

J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J
The eastern churches say unequivocally that Mary died. And was taken to heaven (much like Jesus' resurrection except Jesus raised himself) Mary was a foreshadowing of the resurrection of the dead that we all await at the second coming...The roman catholic dogma of the Assumption is squishy language in that you would not necessarily have to believe she died...

The Orthodox (Eastern) depiction of the dormition (assumption) is Mary on a burial pyre surrounded by the apostles with Christ in a Mandorla holding Mary as an infant...

Sorry Picture forum not much for discussion...just wanted to answer Ed's question...

Chris

Grateful
Grateful
It's too small to see in the photo, but the icon that is second from the right in the iconostasis shows Christ receiving the soul of the Theotokos as she reposed. The Theotokos' soul looks like an infant wrapped in swaddling clothes.

It is an interesting lesson on how we are --like infants--
when (if) we enter eternal life.

-- John

S
S
Cool -- I just saw that Icon at Mt.Macrina this past weekend and we all wondered what it meant. (Etnick, John answered our question about the icon inside the Chapel near the gift shop.)

Etnick Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks John for the explanation. Having never seen it, I wondered what it meant.

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
Originally Posted by harmon3110
It's too small to see in the photo, but the icon that is second from the right in the iconostasis shows Christ receiving the soul of the Theotokos as she reposed. The Theotokos' soul looks like an infant wrapped in swaddling clothes.

It is an interesting lesson on how we are --like infants--
when (if) we enter eternal life. cool

-- John

That's one of my favorite Icons. It's kind of like the inverse of Our Lord's Nativity. Instead of His birth on earth, it's her birth into Eternal Life.

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.