The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MSC2024SN1, Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala
6,005 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 334 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,403
Posts416,808
Members6,005
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
5 Images
F
Fr. Jon Offline OP
St. Mary's (Dormition) Byzantine Catholic Church, Hazleton, PA

Here are some images of the recently restored grin St. Mary's Byzantine Catholic Church in Hazleton, PA.

All the paintings/icons in the church have been restored by Judy Dotzel.

The iconostasis, which is from the original-late 1880s church, has also been restored. Sometime after the present church's construction (1940s), the lower level of the screen was latinized, similar to the nearby St. Mary's Byzantine Catholic Church in Sheppton, PA. All the deacon doors and holy doors are brand new construction.

The dome has also been restored. The lighting of it makes a heavenly feel when standing under it.

The new lighting in the church and built into the screen makes the iconostasis really stand out! Congratulations to the pastor, Fr. Peter Donish (whom I am blessed to call a friend), and the dedicated people of this historic parish.

Forum historians: more of the history of this parish would be appreciated!
9 Comments
O
O
Beautiful - thanks for the pictures

L
L

Outstanding ! I love the style the icons are painted in, as well as the ceiling.

From the 1949 Diocesan Silver Jubilee book:

St. Mary's
Rev. John Koval, Pastor

Founded in July, 1889 by a group of 350 souls with the Rev. Nicholas Stecovich as the first pastor. The first church was erected in 1894 and was dedicated by the Rt. Rev. William O'Hara, bishop of Scranton; the second church was completed in 1901 and was dedicated by the Rt. Rev. Michael J. O'Hara. The present church was completed in 1942 and was dedicated by the late Bishop Basil Takach. St. Mary's is the mother church of St. John's in Hazleton. It gave the church one vocation to the priesthood, viz. the Rev. Andrew Sokol; also one vocation to the Sisters of St. Basil the Great.

Approximate value of property $250,000. Population 1465 souls.

U
U
Wow! That is soooooo different from the open-styled gold leafed upper-tier Post-Bishop Elko Era-gutted former ikonostas. I hope that now that they did these beautiful renovations they stay open for a while.

Ung

C
C
I can't believe it's the same church! Simply beautiful!

Dave

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Deacon Jon,

Absolutely extraordinary!

Keep taking pics like this and you'll definitely be the most-featured photographer in the Directory.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
Deacon Jon,

Absolutely extraordinary!

Keep taking pics like this and you'll definitely be the most-featured photographer in the Directory.

Many years,

Neil

I agree with Neil, Fr. Deacon Jon--take more and post them. Ever think of doing an informal type book of Greek Catholic churches in PA? I buy one!!

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Deacon Jon,

They definitely look good on the directory entry.

You mentioned that you are friends with Father Peter. He might want to put a bug in the ear of his eparchy's webmaster, since St John's in Hazleton is listed twice on the parish list at the eparchial website, but St Mary's isn't there at all!

Originally Posted by John K
Ever think of doing an informal type book of Greek Catholic churches in PA?

John,

Don't encourage him to do a book too soon. Then, I'll have to get clearances from some publisher to use the photos in the directory. I've got a lot more parishes in PA to add to the directory (haven't even started the UGCC yet cry ). Heck, I might even spring for his next roll of film biggrin (oh wait, people hardly ever use that stuff any more - whew, don't have to budget that).

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
J
J
Glorious! As God intended! I was in Hazleton in October and visited the nearby St. John's which--finally--installed a magnificent iconscreen. I did not know that St. Mary's had undertaken its own restoration. This historically Slavic coal town with three Greek Catholic churches--two Rusyn and one Ukrainian--is changing. It now has a growing Hispanic community and a population of first-generation Romanians with their own Romanian Orthodox church. Jack Palance, who was baptized in Hazleton's St. Michael's Ukrainian Church, must be smiling!

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.