The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 333 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
OP Offline
L
For me it has to be. 1. The beauty of some Eastern houses of worship. Not coming from an Eastern background, I view icons in a somewhat different light, so I tend to see them as religious ornamentation,with the more of them there are the better I like it. In fact I find the atmosphere in a church like Saints Volodymyr and Olha in Chicago, as breathtakingly Holy as some of our most impressive Latin Rite churches, mainly due to the almost sea of icons effect. 2. The liturgy. I prefer the Eastern Liturgies to what the Latin Rite has, with the exception of the Tridentine. 3. The stability of tradition. Unfortunately, I've heard of or seen in the Latin Rite, congas in the church, handclapping, cheering, priests acting like the Mass is a pep rally, leopard skins on the altar, images of people who were not even Christians, in the church, charismatic groups, extreme left wing ideology being preached from the pulpit, joining of hands during the consecration (personally I have a strong aversion to holding hands with anyone except my girlfriend)and countless other abuses. I'll probably think of more reasons soon, but those are the main ones.

Those mass abuses sound terrible! I truly hope that they will ALL be gone soon for my RC friends.

What I like about the West is:

The short mass (without abuses, like at St. Patrick's Cathedral)...not that I don't like the looooong liturgy, but sometimes I just don't feel up to it, and the half hour mass substitutes beautifully.

The holiness of this present Pope. He is truly, truly, a great saint living among us.

EWTN!

The rosary.

Cardinal O'Connor's (of blessed memory) integrity and sermons, Father Groeschel of the Franciscans of the Renewal here in NY, and on EWTN, and who I have been priveledged to hear speak, and to meet...

Gothic cathedrals! smile

Gregorian chant. (why don't you use it more???)

In Christ,
Alice

O
O
Crumbs - where do I start and just as important where do I stop smile

The timeless Liturgy in the East - it so lifts me

The beautiful prayers

The realisation that Icons are truly a window to heaven.

my prayer rope - much easier to have in my hands at times than a Rosary [ much as I love that ]

Can I stop now instead of going on for hours ?

Anhelyna

Bravo Brother Lawrence smile Amen & Alleuia !

james, a Latiniak?

Icons, Iconostasis, Domes, Trisagion, Cherubic Hymn, Prayer said by priest to communicant, Jesus Prayer. Mystery of Crowning.

Paul (Roman Catholic)

H
H
What do I like about the West? Interesting question. Here 'goes (in no particular order).

1. The fact that the Latin Rite is in possession of its "Mother Church." Most probably cannot imagine the sadness my Eastern heart feels that I will never be able to attend a Liturgy in St. Sophia just like the emmicaries from the court of St. Volodymyr did.

2. Gregorian Chant. I agree with the above - it should be used more (and in its original form - no organ doubling the voices or whatever).

3. Having media such as Vatican Radio and EWTN. It's a numbers thing, I know.

4. The accoustics in name of the great Western Cathederals. There can be great accoustics in Eastern Churches as well, but I will never forget giving a concert in York Minster an hearing that ten-fifteen second reverb after we were done.

I could probably think of more, but work becons. smile

Yours,

kl

T
T
I love the beauty, over and above everything else. The colors, the sounds, the icons, the music, the chanting ... the fact that so far I have NEVER heard an Eastern priest utter the words "Good morning, everyone!" at the beginning of the Liturgy!

I love the fact that the Byzantine Liturgy is celebrated in the vernacular and yet the translators did not seem to feel the need to be "politically correct" - which gives me hope that the translation of the Latin Rite will someday be just as beautiful.

I love the fact that I really feel the presence of my grandparents, especially my grandmother, and my great-aunt Mae, next to me during the Divine Liturgy. Not because they were Eastern; they weren't, they were staunch Roman Catholics. But they suffered a lot due to the abuses which unfortunately took over the R.C. Mass for such a long time (and are still around).

I just always think that they would love the Byzantine Liturgy so much, because all the things they loved so much that were taken away from them, are here. All the beauty, all the reverence, all the devotion ... and no guitars!!!

-Pierogies with mushroom gravy
-stuffed cabbage
-Borscht
-Holushky
-kiffles...

oops....sorry..

-Strong sense of Tradition
-Timeless Liturgy
-Prayer rope
-The emphasis on Theosis
-icons

There are more, of course...

Columcille

I
I
What do I like about the East?

There is so much! Here are just a few things off the top of my head in no particular order:

For starters, the different emphasis in Eastern theology, for example theosis, in its own right. I also like it because it helps to enlighten me about the truth taught by the theology of the West.

The different approach taken to the Liturgical life of the Church. It has enriched me when I participate in an Eastern Liturgy and helped me to understand the power of our own Liturgy.

The connection that the Eastern Churches provide with the lives and ways of some of my ancestors who came from Galacia and Ukraine.

The fact that it offers The Byzantine Forum which makes it possible to learn so much without attending an Eastern School of Theology.

That the East has produced fellow believers who are icons of God's love, the Eastern Christian posters here, who have patience with a Latin like me as I try to learn of the East.

That through this medium provided unofficially by the Byzantine Catholic Church in America I have come to know all of you. You contribute to my life in ways that you cannot possibly know

And so many many more things! So little time.... smile

Steve

O
O
Ah I have to come back in here - having read some of the other comments

Paul -- Prayer said by priest to communicant, yes that too - though I have problems with comprehension [in Ukrainian wink ]

Columkille -Pierogies with mushroom gravy -stuffed cabbage -Borscht -Holushky -kiffles... still to experience - but can't think when that might be frown

Steve all of what he has said particularly That through this medium provided unofficially by the Byzantine Catholic Church in America I have come to know all of you. You contribute to my life in ways that you cannot possible know Oh yes +++ and the friendships that have come as a result and the support that is there whenever we have need of it.

Oh dear I'm in danger of becoming maudlin :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anhelyna

Anhelyna-

Well my wife's babba(from Ukraine)just spent the week with us and she always shows up with a trunk load of goodies. If left to my own devices, I would not be able to make the food I mentioned smile

Oh..I forgot to mention the sweet cabbage and noodle dish she made, mmmm.

Columcille

O
O
Originally posted by Columcille:
Anhelyna-

Well my wife's babba(from Ukraine)just spent the week with us and she always shows up with a trunk load of goodies. If left to my own devices, I would not be able to make the food I mentioned smile
Oh..I forgot to mention the sweet cabbage and noodle dish she made, mmmm.
Columcille
Hush you - I'm drooling again :p

Columcille,

biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

I like your sense of humor cool

Paul

Dear Columcille,

I think you can teach our "Ukrainian ROCOR crowd" a thing or two about a well-integrated Ukrainian tradition . . . smile

Alex

Originally posted by Orthodox Catholic:
Dear Columcille,

I think you can teach our "Ukrainian ROCOR crowd" a thing or two about a well-integrated Ukrainian tradition . . . smile

Alex
Alex-

My wife tells me that her babba wanted her to find a good Ukranian boy to marry...instead she got me eek

However, with my love of the cuisine and my ability to talk with her about the Ukranian Catholic Church, she says I am Ukranian by adoption biggrin

Columcille

Sorry for taking the thread off topic. Let us resume with the original intent of the thread. I hate being a thread hijacker frown

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.