The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 246 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
Orthodox Catholic Toddler
OP Offline
H
Glory to Jesus Christ!

Can anyone list the Ecumenical church Councils of the first millennium, including the Councils that were overturned (Arian councils?) with a brief synopsis of each?

In addition, I am interested in the Council of Trullo, was that a Council of Constantinople? Was it considered an Ecumenical Council?

Just trying to get my ducks in a row, so to speak! smile

In Christ,
Michael

R
R
Humm... there must be a list on the internet some place.

If you run into a brink wall let me know and we will search it out.

In the mean time - I am sure there are people here who can answer but have not yet seen your question.

-ray

-ray
A
A
Michael:

As a starter, why not the CATHOLIC Encyclopedia, which has a synopsis of each of the 21 Ecumenical Councils?

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04423f.htm

EWTN library has some of the "more" important documents on line at:

http://www.ewtn.com/library/indexes/COUNCILS.htm

The Council of Trullo was held in Constantinople attended only by Eastern bishops, except by one Western bishop who claimed to be the Papal Legate. It is considered ecumenical by the Orthodox but the canons (which were more in the nature of "explanations" of the canons adopted during the 5th and 6th Ecumenical Councils) adopted in this Council were never accepted by the Roman Church.

Then insert all the local councils, East and West, into the 21 ECs. biggrin

Amado

M
M
There were also Councils in the undivided Church that were INTENDED to be ecumenical, but ended up on the cutting room floor. These include the Council of Sardica, the Council of Rimini, and the dreaded "Robber Council" of Ephesus. Sorry I don't have the dates, but they were all in the first five centuries of the Church, if that narrows it down for you.

Blessings,
Marduk

A
A
Dear Marduk:

I guess it's " less" complicated for "non-Chalcedonians" like you in determining the Ecumenical Councils of the Church. wink

Amado

M
M
Dear Brother Amado,

Well... I suppose you can say that the Assyrian Church of the East have the advantage over all of us since they only believe there were TWO ecumenical Councils. :rolleyes: smile

Marduk

H
OP Offline
H
Thanks guys, for the wonderful replies. I also appreciate the humor!

This is a great place to get information. Anyone else that may wish to contribute feel free! I will probably have trouble getting texts from those Councils that wound up "on the cutting room floor" as we say wink but I'll check around!

It is interesting to me that Trullo was an "all Byzantine" Council, I guess that would be a General Council then.

I would like to know as much as I can about the Councils, at least I can get started.

Blessings,
Michael

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.