The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Augoustinos, Poliscifi, The Cub, P H, Hardrada
5604 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (William, 3 invisible), 103 guests, and 462 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,747
Posts412,017
Members5,604
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Is the Vatican destined to become like the Phanar? #124069 01/16/03 11:49 PM
traveler Offline
I have heard that the flag of Justinian is flown at the Phanar. Now, that--if it is true--must really..really..infuriate the Turkos.

Abdur

Re: Is the Vatican destined to become like the Phanar? #124070 01/17/03 03:43 PM
A
Amadeus Offline
A
Dear Friends:

If re-union (and/or unity) is achieved between the Catholic Church and Orthodox Churches, I am certain that the Vatican will request Turkey to repatriate all Christian Churches and properties, including the majestic Hagia Sophia, to the Eastern Church through the Patriarchate of Constantinople.

(Did you know that Turkey has requested, or in the process of requesting, the Vatican to support the former's admission to the European Union as the only Muslim member-country?)

Diplomacy has its own rewards.

AmdG

Re: Is the Vatican destined to become like the Phanar? #124071 01/23/03 02:37 PM
Anthony Offline
Abdur,

What do you mean when you say Christianity is dull compared to Islam? I ask this in all sincerity. I haven't had much experience with Islamic culture, but am interested in learning more about it.

In Christ,
Anthony

Abdur wrote:

"I suppose my main perplexity is wrapped around the experiential fact that--compared to Islam--orthodox or mainstream Christianity is so bloody dull. The churches are a real disappointment and shrines to mediocrity"

Re: Is the Vatican destined to become like the Phanar? #124072 01/23/03 03:00 PM
traveler Offline
Originally posted by Anthony:
Abdur,

What do you mean when you say Christianity is dull compared to Islam? I ask this in all sincerity. I haven't had much experience with Islamic culture, but am interested in learning more about it.

In Christ,
Anthony

Abdur wrote:

"I suppose my main perplexity is wrapped around the experiential fact that--compared to Islam--orthodox or mainstream Christianity is so bloody dull. The churches are a real disappointment and shrines to mediocrity"
So many Muslims are full of zeal, even if it is misdirected. Even in those majority Muslim states that we usually identify as secular--Turkey, Bosnia, Albania,etc.,--there is a revival of interest in Islam, and even a commitment to it, especially among the young and young college students.

Also, Muslim converts are zealous in their desire to spread the faith of Islam--they preach on the streets where I live--but my experience is that most Christians have no desire to spread their faith, they even seem to be ashamed of it.

Well, that has been my personal experience.

It just seems the majority of Christians, of whatever church, have---as it says in scripture--"lost their first love."

Abdur

Re: Is the Vatican destined to become like the Phanar? #124073 01/23/03 03:16 PM
Anthony Offline
Thank you for the reply Abdur. I haven't had much contact with Muslims. I have worked with a few, and some have strongly kept up in their faith, while others have pretty much become completely secular with no religious beliefs. I have read of the revival of Islam in many of the traditional Islamic countries. There is a mosque not far from me that has been doing a lot to help the surrounding community. I hear they are very ecumenical at this particular mosque.

In Christ,
Anthony

Abdur wrote:

So many Muslims are full of zeal, even if it is misdirected. Even in those majority Muslim states that we usually identify as secular--Turkey, Bosnia, Albania,etc.,--there is a revival of interest in Islam, and even a commitment to it, especially among the young and young college students.

Also, Muslim converts are zealous in their desire to spread the faith of Islam--they preach on the streets where I live--but my experience is that most Christians have no desire to spread their faith, they even seem to be ashamed of it.

Well, that has been my personal experience.

It just seems the majority of Christians, of whatever church, have---as it says in scripture--"lost their first love."

Abdur

Re: Is the Vatican destined to become like the Phanar? #124074 02/11/03 07:51 PM
Christine Offline
It will be interesting to see how firmly the upcoming generations of Muslims, living in the West, adhere to their heritage. There will be no "guardians of the faith" such as exist in Saudi Arabia, to make sure the faithful are not lured away by competing ideas and beliefs.

Khrystyna

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2019 (Forum 1998-2019). All rights reserved.