The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
T
When I essentially wrote the same thing four years ago I was run off (privately asked to leave).

Glad the temperature has changed such that one can write that here and not have that happen anymore.

N
N
Originally posted by Miller:
Speaking as an Orthodox Christian and layman, I may find the discussion interesting. However, this is an internal Catholic matter and nothing to do with ecumenical relations with the Orthodox.
When official dialogue takes place, the discussion deals with theology not liturgy. Individual Orthodox priests or lay people may comment; however, these comments have nothing to do with the official ecumenical theological dialogue. To put the shoe on the other foot: we Orthodox would not be concerned about Catholic comments regarding our internal liturgal matters.
I am another Orthodox layman who agrees with this. I do 'feel' for my older RC friends who remember the old rite, but after 40 years it may be a moot point...but not one I'm willing to argue as an Orthodox - there are meaningful issues to address as noted above.

A
AMM Offline
A
but not one I'm willing to argue as an Orthodox - there are meaningful issues to address as noted above.
Nestor, I agree that this is not something we should argue as it is not an issue we can influence or that affects us. I would actually say this is as meaningful as any other issue though. Ecumenism, if meant in the context or some sort of reconciliation and restoration of ecclesial relations between East and West, has probably at least two dimensions. One of course is structural and theological, and that of course is being carried out by the hierarchies of both bodies.

There is the dimension of the �ground� or grass roots level though. Both sides have to be willing and interested in participating in the liturgical life of the other body to some extent. Were either side to feel alienated, bewildered or disturbed what is going on in the other � real reconciliation would not happen, even if the hierarchies came to some formal agreement. It would not be a real reconciliation, and would probably come undone as easily as the union brought about by the pseudo council of Florence.

So my opinion is this is extremely meaningful, and something I can relate to in my own experience.

Andrew

Originally posted by Rilian:
I agree that this is not something we should argue as it is not an issue we can influence or that affects us. I would actually say this is as meaningful as any other issue though. Ecumenism, if meant in the context or some sort of reconciliation and restoration of ecclesial relations between East and West, has probably at least two dimensions. One of course is structural and theological, and that of course is being carried out by the hierarchies of both bodies.

There is the dimension of the �ground� or grass roots level though. Both sides have to be willing and interested in participating in the liturgical life of the other body to some extent. Were either side to feel alienated, bewildered or disturbed what is going on in the other � real reconciliation would not happen, even if the hierarchies came to some formal agreement. It would not be a real reconciliation, and would probably come undone as easily as the union brought about by the pseudo council of Florence.

So my opinion is this is extremely meaningful, and something I can relate to in my own experience.

Andrew
Ah-ha! Finally!

Absolute agreement!

Eli

M
M
Were either side to feel alienated, bewildered or disturbed what is going on in the other � real reconciliation would not happen, even if the hierarchies came to some formal agreement. It would not be a real reconciliation, and would probably come undone as easily as the union brought about by the pseudo council of Florence.
Andrew,

Well said. Remember that any attempt at reunion would have to find support at the grass-roots level among Orthodox. To be eventually successful, it would have to be sustained against criticism by not only all the Orthodox hierarchies but also from monastics, parish clergy and pious laity.

L
new
new
L
Originally posted by Jessup B.C. Deacon:
Another thing which I think should be mentioned is that the so-called "Tridentine Mass" actually pre-dates Trent. What was promulgated by Pius V was a freezing of the Western Liturgy as it was in contemporary Roman usage. It was also to replace a lot of other local usages in the West.
That form of the Liturgy has it's authorship attributed to St. Gregory the Great (Dialogos), and, in terms of it's antiquity, is comparable to the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom. It is my understanding that the Sarum usage, for example, is quite close to what was frozen by Pius V. The "reform of the reform" that is being discussed today, should, in my opinion, be one of taking that ancient Gregorian Liturgy, and translating it into venacular languages, in conjunction with restoration of authentic sacred music.

In Christ,
Dn. Robert
Preach On!!!! smile

"Don't pray at mass, but pray the holy mass." Pius X

Very hard to do at the NO.

Easy to do at the TLM.

smile smile

I
I
"Topic: Novus Ordo Liturgy Seen As An Obstacle To Ecumenism With Eastern Orthodoxy"

Duh!

L
L
Memo,

I think those Traditionalists are not so much concerned about ecumenism as they are about pointing out how hypocritical it is for those who champion the New Mass are also oftentimes the ones who push for ecumenism (ostensibly), all the while ignoring the fact that it pushes us further away from that other Christian Church with which we are most similar. It seems a truly ecumenical move would be to restore traditional liturgy, not a "fabricated liturgy, a "banal on-the-spot product," as our Holy Father puts it.

I do think it sometimes highlights who the real enemies of true ecumenism are.

Logos Teen

L
new
new
L
Originally posted by Teen Of The Incarnate Logos:
Memo,

I think those Traditionalists are not so much concerned about ecumenism as they are about pointing out how hypocritical it is for those who champion the New Mass are also oftentimes the ones who push for ecumenism (ostensibly), all the while ignoring the fact that it pushes us further away from that other Christian Church with which we are most similar. It seems a truly ecumenical move would be to restore traditional liturgy, not a "fabricated liturgy, a "banal on-the-spot product," as our Holy Father puts it.

I do think it sometimes highlights who the real enemies of true ecumenism are.

Logos Teen
You are absolutely correct. The problem is that the "champions of the new mass" are more concerned with the feelings of protestants than they are with bringing our eastern orthodox brethren home to the Church. Its seems quite silly to me.

A
AMM Offline
A
Originally posted by LatinCat:
The problem is that the "champions of the new mass" are more concerned with the feelings of protestants than they are with bringing our eastern orthodox brethren home to the Church. Its seems quite silly to me.
How would you say the champions of the Novus Ordo are more interested in catering to the feelings of Protestants as compared to bringing the Orthodox "home to the church"?

Andrew

What champions of the 'new mass'? How many of those who were making decisions at Vat II are still alive, not to many is my guess. Who are these promoters who are busy with Protestants. Hopefully you will provide names known outside the USA.

What is silly is that you continue to be offensive in your language to the Orthodox and patronising to the Oriental Catholics with your insistance on lecturing us on how ignorant you are.

H
learner
learner
H
Originally posted by Jessup B.C. Deacon:
Another thing which I think should be mentioned is that the so-called "Tridentine Mass" actually pre-dates Trent. What was promulgated by Pius V was a freezing of the Western Liturgy as it was in contemporary Roman usage. It was also to replace a lot of other local usages in the West.
That form of the Liturgy has it's authorship attributed to St. Gregory the Great (Dialogos), and, in terms of it's antiquity, is comparable to the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom.
By that criterion the present Roman Missal also goes back to St Gregory the Great, since it includes the Roman Canon.
ISTM that there must be serious problems in the US with the way the Mass is delivered. In the last 40 years I have attended Mass in Scotland, England, Ireland, Australia, France, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Cyprus, Greece, Portugal and Tunisia. There have been times when the Liturgy has been inadequately delivered, it is true, but there have been times when the presence of God was palpable, times for applauding, and times for weeping.
IMO (no H) those self-styled "Traditionalists" who reject Vatican II and Papal authority are committing the same mistake as those who simply ignore the church's teachings and directives: they are failing to observe Holy Obedience. They may think they are diametrically opposed, but they have the same motto: "I will not serve".

M
M
IMO (no H) those self-styled "Traditionalists" who reject Vatican II and Papal authority are committing the same mistake as those who simply ignore the church's teachings and directives: they are failing to observe Holy Obedience. They may think they are diametrically opposed, but they have the same motto: "I will not serve
Highlander,

Is "Holy Obedience" in Roman Catholicism therefore accorded more weight than Holy Tradition? If the answer is yes, than there are indeed Ecumenical considerations in the way that Roman authority effectively overturned a 1500 year old liturgical tradition and the Orthodox East should indeed approach any re-union with caution.

H
learner
learner
H
Originally posted by Mark of Ephesus:
Is "Holy Obedience" in Roman Catholicism therefore accorded more weight than Holy Tradition? If the answer is yes, than there are indeed Ecumenical considerations in the way that Roman authority effectively overturned a 1500 year old liturgical tradition and the Orthodox East should indeed approach any re-union with caution. [/QB]
I don't agree that a 1500 year old liturgical tradition has been overturned

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.