The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll, Bradford Roman, Pd1989
5,991 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 382 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,392
Posts416,746
Members5,991
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#126813 11/09/03 03:45 AM
Mateusz Offline OP
OP Offline
i have been trying to join the ukrainian catholic church for about 8 months now. i sent my letter to the archeparchy asking for a change of rite and jurisdiction and i havent gotten a response yet. is this normal ? i am willing to keep waiting for a little more, but i dont think its neccessary. can anyone fill me in on what to expect ? or any advise ? thanks.

#126814 11/09/03 03:50 AM
What does your Ukranian priest say about the delay? Is he helping you with the transfer?

Dan Lauffer

#126815 11/09/03 03:50 AM
Dear Mateusz,

There is very little about the UGCC, including myself, that most others would consider "normal." wink

Hang in there - or else give them a call.

If you like, contact me in private so we can see if there is anything I might do to help you with.

Alex

#126816 11/09/03 03:52 AM
Mateusz Offline OP
OP Offline
he just says, "patience, it takes time." and i understand this...i just feel out of place, and want it settled.

#126817 11/09/03 05:04 PM
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Mateuz,

You don't say, but I presume you are presently a Roman Catholic. Did you initiate the process with both your own (Latin) diocese, as well as the Ukrainian eparchy?

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
#126818 11/10/03 02:56 PM
Mateusz Offline OP
OP Offline
yes i am Roman Catholic, the priest at the byzantine church i am attending has been helping me so far, and said i dont need to tell the latin diocese i am currently in anything as of yet. so far ive been a member of a byzantine parish for several months and sent in my letter asking for a change of rite along with my baptismal and confirmation certificates. now i suppose i am waiting for a response.

#126819 11/11/03 10:25 PM
Did Jesus see the paperwork? wink

#126820 11/12/03 06:09 AM
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally posted by Mateusz:
yes i am Roman Catholic, the priest at the byzantine church i am attending has been helping me so far, and said i dont need to tell the latin diocese i am currently in anything as of yet. so far ive been a member of a byzantine parish for several months and sent in my letter asking for a change of rite along with my baptismal and confirmation certificates. now i suppose i am waiting for a response.
Mateusz,

I'm copying here excerpts from a post that I made on another forum here recently, when someone raised a similar issue to the one you've posted/

"A Change of Rite or Canonical Enrollment (the term in the new Code) is intended to be a 'once in a lifetime' event - not necessarily a bad thing.

Changing rites or canonical enrollment is a decision that should not be lightly made. For many, it is not only a change of parish and rite, but also a whole process of inculturation, particularly given the ethnicity of our parishes. We tend to be a 'family', I firmly believe that is much more so than our Latin brothers and sisters. But 'family' is more than liking the pirohi, the fataya, or the lahmajun at the annual food fair weekend. Anyone intending to make a change should feel certain that they feel comfortable not only with the spirituality, but with the community with whom they will share and explore and develop that spirituality. You are often entering into a community whose ties to one another stretch back generations - sometimes back to a single village in the Levant, the Ukraine, or elsewhere. Our parishes are either very welcoming to outsiders who come among us or incredibly closed - there is no in-between. (And we need, so very badly, to be welcoming - 30+ years ago I heard my new Exarch, Archbishop Joseph Tawil, of blessed memory, warn that the seemingly conflicting dangers to our continued existence were assimilation and a ghetto mentality. The truth of that statement has not changed.)"

That said, let me talk about your personal situation. The process of a Change of Canonical Enrollment involves a request to the Ordinary of the candidate's current Church and to that of the Church into which he or she seeks to be received.

There is an unwritten (as far as I know) rule that one should spend a minimum of a year involved with the Church into which one seeks to be received, prior to applying for a Change of Canonical Enrollment. There is nothing magical about a year, it just provides an opportunity for one to be certain about his/her choice and for the pastor of the parish to come to know him/her and feel a level of confidence in the reason(s) for the decision - e.g., that there is more involved than just church-shopping or thinking that the crowning ceremony is 'cool', etc.

If you have only been involved for a matter of months, you likely need to spend a bit more time.
I have a suspicion that your pastor's comment that there is nothing to notify the Latin bishop of, is his way of saying that the time to request a change has not yet come - is not yet right. If so, he should explain that more clearly or be more forthright.

Believe me, it is important to be sure before you make the change. Use the time well, to learn more about the Eastern Churches, particularly the one into which you seek reception.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
#126821 11/12/03 04:56 PM
Mateusz Offline OP
OP Offline
yes i am aware that it does take time, and the church wants to be careful on issues such as this, but personally i am ready and know for sure this is something i want to do, there is no doubt in my mind about that, plus i consdier priesthood or becomming a deacon as something i may want to do with my life so i want to be somewhat prepared and prepared for one church if thats the decision i want to make. even before i contacted the priest i researched and looked into the byzantine rite b4 i made my decision to transfer. i guess i have no choice but to remain patient, i feel its worth being patient, however i only worry about being rejected or turned down because i have had a friend in my situation who devoted his time and heart into this only to be turned down, thus he felt he couldnt go back to the latin church and converted to eastern orthodoxy. i just dont want to waste me time thats all, because i am catholic first, but i dont want to feel in between churches for much longer, and i wish to feel comfortable. thanks for your help.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.