The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#132788 08/24/04 02:59 PM
DTBrown Offline OP
OP Offline
Most of the text of the New Jerusalem Bible is online at this site:

http://www.kofc.duq.edu/scripture/index.html

It appears that the Deuterocanonicals are not yet online and that some of the books say "Revised Standard Version" but the text is from the NJT (the Old Testament uses "Yahweh," for example and that's not a feature of the RSV).

Anyway, I didn't know if this site was well known or not but thought it might be of interest.

Thank you so much. I wonder is it the new or did they use the '60s version. I hope it is the '60s that way we won't battle the incluive language. My husband Deacon Stan was searing for this on line a few weeks ago, until now all we had ever found was in French. So thanks!

Pani Rose

DTBrown Offline OP
OP Offline
It is the New Jerusalem Bible from the eighties. Unfortunately, the French version is no longer online.

For a listing of other online Bible versions, see:

http://www.catholic-forum.com/members/popestleo/links.html

I am totally excited. I sent the address out to most of my email addresses. wink Can you tell it is my favorite Bible. In fact, I have bougt many new Bibles through the years and they always end up on the shelf. By old Jerusalem Bible fits me fine enough I guess. I just dont know how many times and ways I can denote a verse for some reason, it is really marked up. But that is good too!

Personally I don't like the incluisve language. However, this is from a list I am on, and since it relates to how they changed the Jerusalem Bible, I thought someone might be interested.

1)In the U.S. as I understand it, all approval for translations (other than the one that the US bishops themselves commissioned --the revised NAB)
has been withdrawn for liturgical use. This doesn't mean that these translations are not 'approved'. It only means that they can't be read at masses. It is widely assumed that the CDF made this ruling for reasons of inclusive language.

2) With respect to the New Jerusalem Bible, in which I have a small vested interest because my company did the audio recording of the New Testament, I think that the decision was a mistake. When I talked with the man who was overseeing the revision to the Jerusalem Bible, he said that the translating principle they used was "Where the original was gender specific in relationship to horizontal (human being to human being) relationships, they translated it as gender specific. Where the language was gender neutral,
they used language that was gender neutral. In relationship to vertical relationship (human being to God), they retained masculine language." This
makes a lot of sense to me in trying to apply the Bible to modern life. Some passages are confusing if you don't know if they are talking about
males or humans.(Some women might argue that those two terms are mutually exclusive! (grin)) Many of the readings at mass begin "Brothers". Is Paul writing to just the men, just the male leaders, or the whole assembly? Many lectors automatically add "and sisters" into the reading to make it
more inclusive. But then we are getting their interpretation. The reality is that we don't often know who Paul was addressing. I have heard
teachers argue that he really was writing just to the male leaders and we have errer by interpreting the passages as applying to all Christians. I
don't this this is accurate. I think that looking at the text and making determinations of the meaning is an important function of Biblical
translators.

DTBrown Offline OP
OP Offline
Just came across the French Jerusalem Bible (edition of 1998) online at:

http://www.editionsducerf.fr/html/BJ98/pages/BJ98/bj_index.htm

DTBrown,

Cheers. Can't read the French translation but do appreciate the on-line English one and will book mark it. There is so little room on my desk that it is easier for me to go on-line to check things than to get out my big New Jerusalem Bible and set it up on my desk where it can fall off and is hard to keep open when typing. Now I can get it on-line when I need it for emails and posting on forums, etc. Nice.... smile

In Christ,

Mary Jo aka Porter.

I just wanted to say thanks for that link to the Bibles. I have really enjoyed the Douay-Rheims Bible with Concordance links. Very helpful in deed!

Dear Pani Rose,

I'm glad you explained what you did. I've been reading the NJB (N.T. only) and I have found them to not really have the feminist gender inclusive garbage at all. From what I've read and seen the NJB NT is a great improvement over the JB. But I don't like any OT based on the Masoretic. That just isn't our text.

Anyway, I like the NJB NT and have been looking all over the world for an audio version of it to no avail. Here you are saying your company has made one. How can I get order information?

Thank you.

p.s. I also like the Orthodox New Testament for its accuracy and fidelity to the Eastern understanding of the Scriptures, but I know I can't get that on tape. Nor do I think I'd want to. Its more of a reference work for its technical and literal accuracy. Whereas the NJB is more for listening and reading as it flows better to our modern ears.

Hey,

It is not my company!

I apologize if I gave anyone that impression.

I was just posting something from a list I am on. The person, as I noted, owns a company that records seminars, conferences, and such. I have sent an email to the list to get this info and will post it for you.

Pani Rose

Here is the information you were searching for:

The NJB New Testament on tape retails for $29.95.
It is produced by me (Resurrection Tapes).

Colin LaVergne, owner

Resurrection Tapes
2719 E. 42nd Street
Minneapolis, MN 55406-3061

Local phone: (612) 721-7933
National Toll Free (888) 809-0267
Email: resurrection@usfamily.net
Web page: www.resurrectiontapes.com [resurrectiontapes.com]

Anyone knows from where I can purchase (i) " The New Jerusalem Bible" on cd and (ii)Dictionary of Biblical Theology by Lean Dufur also on cd.

Some years ago I had managed to buy the Jerusalem Bible on cd while I have the Dictionary as a hard copy.

Hispanic Byzantine
Hispanic Byzantine
I have a PDF copy in Spanish of the 1976 Jerusalem Bible, if anyone wants it, feel free to ask. I shall look for the site where I downloaded it from to see if there's an English version of 1976 as well.

God Bless

Bernardo

DTBrown Offline OP
OP Offline
Could you post the link where the Spanish Jerusalem Bible could be found? Thanks!

Hispanic Byzantine
Hispanic Byzantine
You can find TJB of 1976 in this site Biblia en l�nea [geocities.com] it offers not only TJB but also the New International Version and the protestant version of the Bible (Reina Valera)

God Bless

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.