The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Augoustinos, Poliscifi, The Cub, P H, Hardrada
5604 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Elizanna, 1 invisible), 76 guests, and 443 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,747
Posts412,016
Members5,604
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ultimate Things #133252 03/09/03 03:16 PM
Gideon Offline OP
OP Offline
An Orthodox Christian Perspective on the End Times. Has anyone ever read this book?

In Roman Catholicism there is a lot of extra biblical prophecy concerning the end times, how does this factor into the Byzantine Catholic view?

I recommend this book, it has quotations from the early Church Fathers (as well as quotes from Fr. Seraphim Rose) and also compares modern protestant views with Orthodox thought The exception of a couple of chapters where there is a huge emphasis on Russia being the last strong hold of True Christianity.

Abba Isidore the Priest:
When I was younger and remained in my cell I set no limit to prayer; the night was for me as much the time of prayer as the day.
(p. 97, Isidore 4)
Re: Ultimate Things #133253 03/10/03 03:52 AM
Theosis Offline
Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him Forever!

Dear Odo,

I read "Ultimate Things" right after Christmas. I really enjoyed this book. I was really struck about how similar Orthodox thought on the end-times is to the Protestant position. Now, don't get me wrong, there are some differences. (e.g. rapture, millennium, anti-Christ being killed and resurrected.) These differences are very important, but not so much so to make us think they are not any similarities. But overall I find many similarities. For example, the author mentions a seven-year tribulation, personal anti-Christ, literal mark of the beast, two witnesses who are killed at end of the first 3 1/2 years of the tribulation, etc. It was really neat to read about in the book about "the 70 weeks of Daniel." I had first heard of the 70 weeks on a Jack Van Impe series on the book of Daniel, when I was a Protestant. To hear it from an Orthodox Christian was at the least very interesting.

This book seems to have passed the test of world Orthodoxy, for I've not heard anybody saying that it is too protestant or full of errors. Fr. Thomas Hopka (Dean of St. Vladimir Orthodox Seminary) mentioned his views of it in the beginning of the book. He said he only disagreed with the concept of the last Tsar of Russia being the "restrainer" of 2 Thess. (Actually, I understood the author to mean that Holy Orthodox Monarchy was the restrainer, not Holy Royal Martyr, Tsar Nicholas II in particular.)

About Roman Catholic end-times prophesies . . . I believe in a lot of it. smile Prophecies like this are pretty similar to Orthodox prophecies as far as I know. I've never study this out, though. A theme very prominent in Roman Catholic end-time prophecies is, "The Three Days of Chastisement." These, three days are supposed to be days when the evil spirits can be visibly seen on earth and the world will be a strange color, anyone outside during this time will die instantly, you will even die if you look out your windows during this time. I wonder if Holy Orthodoxy teaches a similar thing? Come on, Orthodox people enlighten me wink .

A sinner,

Adam

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!
Re: Ultimate Things #133254 03/10/03 04:09 AM
Gideon Offline OP
OP Offline
"The Three Days of Chastisement." These, three days are supposed to be days when the evil spirits can be visibly seen on earth and the world will be a strange color, anyone outside during this time will die instantly, you will even die if you look out your windows during this time."

Fascinating and freighting. Can anyone elaborate?

Abba Isidore the Priest:
When I was younger and remained in my cell I set no limit to prayer; the night was for me as much the time of prayer as the day.
(p. 97, Isidore 4)
Re: Ultimate Things #133255 03/10/03 06:53 AM
BradM Offline
I never heard of the "Three Days of Chastisement." Does anyone know of any URLs for this?

Has anyone besides me listened to Scott Hahn's 11 tape set on The Book of Revelation? Something new I learned is his number one choice for the "harlot" city and the "Whore of Babylon" is not 1st century pagan Rome but Jerusalem! He makes a convincing case, I have changed my mind. Both the NAB notes and the Navarre Bible Commentary reference Rome so I was reluctant at first to go along with it but by the time I finished all 11 tapes I am convinced that Jerusalem is the best #1 choice.

Check out this free Bible Study by Scott Hahn on the Book of Revelation. It goes well with his tape set.

http://www.salvationhistory.com/student/guides/revelation.cfm

Yours in Christ,

BradM

Re: Ultimate Things #133256 03/10/03 02:20 PM
Mor Ephrem Offline
Originally posted by Theosis:
A theme very prominent in Roman Catholic end-time prophecies is, "The Three Days of Chastisement." These, three days are supposed to be days when the evil spirits can be visibly seen on earth and the world will be a strange color, anyone outside during this time will die instantly, you will even die if you look out your windows during this time.
How will we know if we can't look outside? :p

Re: Ultimate Things #133257 03/10/03 06:06 PM
Theosis Offline
Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him Forever!

Dear Friends,

Here is a URL explaining the "Three days of Chastisement."

http://www.tex-is.net/users/csbrocato/3days.htm

Btw, the world will know that this time is coming because a giant crucifix will be seen glowing in the sky for about 8 days. Afer that it will get cold and dark. You know to no to go out then. Lord, have mercy. smile

A sinner,

Adam

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!

Moderated by  Father Deacon Ed, theophan 

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2019 (Forum 1998-2019). All rights reserved.