The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 343 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#141758 04/12/05 04:26 PM
OP Offline
Dear Friends,

Some of you know that I wrote for the site "Ukrainian Orthodoxy."

Well, some zealous Orthodox wrote to accuse me of being dishonest, as presenting myself as a teacher of Orthodoxy (which I never said I was) of being of two minds etc.

One actually contacted my bishop to say I'm offending the Orthodox . . .

Anyway, to make a long story short, I decided to resign from the site for good.

I was told that I couldn't possibly have anything valid to say about Orthodoxy as I wasn't Orthodox.

Anyway, I'm not happy about the whole thing as I've been on that site for several years now.

I guess I'll have to find another hobby!

Pray for me,

Alex in a downer

#141759 04/12/05 04:39 PM
Why are you resigning? Your thoughts were always excellent. I should not allow one person's opinion to influence you, Alex.

Gaudior, who really thinks the opinion of your bishop is what should have counted.

#141760 04/12/05 04:46 PM
Alex,

Their lost is our gain.

Pokoj,
james

#141761 04/12/05 04:55 PM
T
T
Alex, I know how you feel. It is very easy to get emotionally invested in these online groups, and it's very upsetting to be made to feel unwelcome or unliked.

This might help you - my dad, who is very skeptical about computers in general, once asked me, "Where exactly IS this 'Internet' thing located, anyway?"

Meditate on that for a few minutes - the answer(s) may make your life a whole lot easier! wink

#141762 04/12/05 04:58 PM
OP Offline
Dear Gaudior,

Everything would have been fine (I told the priest that I don't appreciate being called "dishonest" a "Catholic plant trying to make the Orthodox look bad" etc had my bishop not been contacted.

I contacted his office immediately to say that the matter is now closed as I have resigned and apologised for any problems I may have caused.

Anyway, them's the breaks.

Alex

#141763 04/12/05 05:19 PM
M
M
Sorry to hear you're in a downer Dr Alex. I always thought you had good things to say and I dont see how anyone could've thought you were a Roman plant, a jesuit in disguise etc.etc. Sad that after a long time of not hearing from you very much, we are graced with your prescence following sad circumstances.

God Bless

"We love, because he first loved us"--1 John 4:19
#141764 04/12/05 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Orthodox Catholic:
Dear Gaudior,

Everything would have been fine (I told the priest that I don't appreciate being called "dishonest" a "Catholic plant trying to make the Orthodox look bad" etc had my bishop not been contacted.

I contacted his office immediately to say that the matter is now closed as I have resigned and apologised for any problems I may have caused.

Anyway, them's the breaks.

Alex
What a shame. I cannot see how anyone could have made those comments based on your writings on the website. It is a pity that your bishop did not bless you to continue your work.

But, as stated, their loss is ByzCath's gain...

Gaudior, who prays that you will not allow this to affect you

#141765 04/12/05 05:35 PM
A
A
"Where exactly IS this 'Internet' thing located, anyway?"

. . . In hell?

If not, it's somewhere in Al Gore's basement! biggrin

Amado

#141766 04/12/05 05:49 PM
T
T
My dad's theory is that the Internet is just a figment of our collective imaginations. biggrin

#141767 04/12/05 05:59 PM
O
O
Dear Friends,
Some of you know that I wrote for the site "Ukrainian Orthodoxy."
Well, some zealous Orthodox wrote to accuse me of being dishonest, as presenting myself as a teacher of Orthodoxy (which I never said I was) of being of two minds etc.
One actually contacted my bishop to say I'm offending the Orthodox . . .
Anyway, to make a long story short, I decided to resign from the site for good.
I was told that I couldn't possibly have anything valid to say about Orthodoxy as I wasn't Orthodox.
Anyway, I'm not happy about the whole thing as I've been on that site for several years now.
I guess I'll have to find another hobby!
Pray for me,
Alex in a downer
This is really sad frown

Some folk have nothing better to do with their time but pick holes in other folk.

You have put some really good stuff on there , Alex , and I hope it does not get removed.

Cheer up - it's not really the end of the world - but it is the end of an era frown

Prayers that you find a new hobby soon - and prayers that you will be lifted out of this gloomy state

Anhelyna - taking a wee break from her packing

#141768 04/12/05 10:47 PM
Shlomo Alex,

I hope that you will reconsider. I do not think that you have been fair to your Eparch, nor to those board members who may support your continued posting.

What this priest did was bullying.

I hope and pray that you reconsider.

Poosh BaShlomo,
Yuhannon

#141769 04/12/05 11:25 PM
T
used to be
used to be
T
And one wonders why their can be no reunification.
It's the "don't confuse me with the facts" mentality, very prevelant in Orthodox thinking these days, that will forever prevent them from seeing the error of their ways, or at least so called Orthodox thinking. Sad really, when Muslims are nipping at their heals in Europe.
You, unfortunately, are expendable.
You're loved here, however for your "rational" (read orthodox) thinking!
Hey, when you stand up and speak, you make a bigger target for those in the cheap seats!

#141770 04/13/05 12:00 AM
Beloved Alex,

Please hear me: I have learned more from YOU and from Anthony Dragani about ORTHODOX beliefs in a well thought out, loving, non polemic, charitable, learned, intelligent, spiritual and religious manner, than I EVER did from most of my own brethren!

Infact, because of the two of YOU, and the spiritual gifts God gave you to teach on the internet, I learned to start appreciating my own faith tradition. THIS is the truth, and I am not embarrassed to say it. THIS Orthodox learned to love Orthodoxy and explore it further BECAUSE of the love for Eastern Orthodoxy of a Ukrainian Catholic and a Byzantine Catholic! smile

You are a *brilliant* writer on the Ukrainian site!

Don't you DARE allow this one disturbed bully, that doesn't get what Christianity is about AT ALL, do this to you, and to the SOULS of so many that depend on you! You will not have to answer to the bully one day, but to Christ that has given you the talents and abilities to teach religion.

Teachers of the Christian faith, whether they be lay, clergy or monastic, have more to answer for at the judgment seat than just plain lay persons!

Please think about this and pray upon it. PLEASE!

With much love in Christ, our unity,
Alice

#141771 04/13/05 12:20 AM
John
John
thirdpew wrote:
And one wonders why their can be no reunification.
It's the "don't confuse me with the facts" mentality, very prevelant in Orthodox thinking these days, that will forever prevent them from seeing the error of their ways, or at least so called Orthodox thinking. Sad really, when Muslims are nipping at their heals in Europe.
I must reject such a condemnation of Orthodoxy. There are certainly uncharitable individuals within Orthodoxy, who do not live fully the Orthodox Life and become uncharitable in their defense of Orthodoxy. But we also know that such people exist in every church and organization, including the Byzantine Catholic Church and the Roman Catholic Church. Simply put, it is wrong to issue a blanket condemnation based upon the poor witness of (in this case) a single individual.

I ask thirdpew to withdraw his comment. If he posts a more charitable comment I (or one of the moderators) will delete original post and my comments.

#141772 04/13/05 12:30 AM
J
J
I told the priest that I don't appreciate being called "dishonest" a "Catholic plant trying to make the Orthodox look bad" etc had my bishop not been contacted.
Alex,

Quite an unfortunate event. I have family that are Orthodox and aren't as uncharitable with Eastern Catholics. We are all so related, ya know.

The same folks might also accuse you of being a Roman Catholic dressed up like Orthodox. Same line of thinking. It all boils down to an attempt by zealous extremists who can't imagine that any Church in communion with Rome may have the same family lineage (via Constantinople) as the Orthodox. Some people have to study history some day.

Good luck in your endeavors. I believe many Orthodox and non-Orthodox Christians benefited from your erudite knowledge. We do. Always. And you know me, I just like to tangle with you now and then. It keeps the blood flowing. Nothing you write is lame.

Joe Thur

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.