The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (seven_mansions), 409 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
John K Offline OP
OP Offline
Please pray for the parishioners of St. Elias Church, (Greenpoint) Brooklyn. This parish was recently closed as well. The church was just over the river from mid-town Manhattan and very near a subway stop. It was originally a Presbyterian church bought from the parish who was relocating. The rectory was apparently a brownstone apartment building.

J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J
I'm very sorry to read this. It seems to be a pattern this week. What jurisdiction did St. Elias fall under? Ruthenian, Ukranian, Maronite???

A
A
St. Elias is Ruthenian and I think its parishioners would be absorb, logically, by neighboring St. Mary Chapel at 197 34th St.
Brooklyn, NY 11232.

There would still be 13 Ruthenian parishes in New York!

Amado

John K Offline OP
OP Offline
St. Mary's Chapel was closed a few years ago.

Prayers!

Why were these parishes closed? Lack of people? No money?

John K Offline OP
OP Offline
St. Mary was attended mostly by recent Rusyn and Slovak immigrants.

J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J
I thought St. Elias was Ruthenian. Wasn't St. Elias and St. Mary's Chapel closed by Bishop Andrew, and Frs. Hospodar and Malitz prior to Fr. Malitz (or should I say Fr. Terminator) being sent to Holy Trinity in Bridgport?

A
A
You mean to say that there remain only 12 Ruthenian parishes in New York?

Or, the list linked here to Byzcath (or the other way around) is not current?

Amado

John
John
It is my understanding that St. Elias Parish in Brooklyn had been averaging only about 15 worshippers for Sunday Divine Liturgy for the past 20 years.

I join my prayers with the others here that those parishioners can quickly find a new home at a neighboring parish.

People in our parishes are good Christians. They can understand the reasons for closing a parish. The problem is how it is articulated to the flock. I don't know the amount of people that attended regularly. However, with Malitz, Hospadar and Pataki in control of the closing I would guarantee they went about it wrong. They are arrogant and unruly. Does anyone have the details on the Parish closed in Florida this past year?

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally posted by Basil:
Does anyone have the details on the Parish closed in Florida this past year?
Basil,

The closure of Holy Apostles was discussed at length in a couple of threads. One is at:

Byzantine Parish Closing in Lake Worth FL

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
"...You mean to say that there remain only 12 Ruthenian parishes in New York?..."

The new parish of St. Nicholas is made up of immigrants from Stara Lubovna and Litmanova and a couple of other towns. They are NOT under Passaic but under either Presov or Kosice. They wanted a Slovak speaking priest and I understand they're doing VERY WELL...

They are even advertising in the Slovak daily newspapers and took out a big ad in progam booklet for the last Slovak Heritage Festival in New Jersey...

M'nohaja Lita!

the ikon writer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally posted by Medved:
They are NOT under Passaic but under either Presov or Kosice. They wanted a Slovak speaking priest and I understand they're doing VERY WELL...
Medved,

This is the second place in which I've read such a claim (the other was by a Slovak Latin on another forum, who claimed that her Slovak parish in Michigan was subject to a Latin bishop back in Slovakia, rather than her local Latin Ordinary). Obviously, Slovak bishops back home are seized with a measure of authority that transcends the provisions of the CIC and CCIO :rolleyes:

The parish cannot be "under Presov or Kosice" ! Even our Patriarchs and Major-Archbishops can't exercise canonical authority outside their historical territories. What makes people delude themselves into thinking that the bishop of an eparchy or an apostolic exarch can extend their jurisdiction from Slovakia to the east coast of the US??????

Presov or Kosice may have lent a presbyter, but if the parish isn't under Passaic, and is intended to specifically represent a Slovak Greek Catholic prescence in the US, that would place it under the Latin Archbishop of NY (not a plus in my opinion) as with any parish of a Church sui iuris which is without hierarchal presence in the US.

Slovak Catholics of the Byzantine Rite in the US are subject to the Ruthenian Metropolitinate or its suffragn Eparchies, unless there has been a major re-thinking on Rome's part - in which case I will happily apologize, while applauding the upcoming extension of my Patriarch's jurisdictional authority!

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
H
Administrator
Administrator
H
Dear, in Christ,

Glory to Jesus Christ!

First, let us join together in offering prayers and petitions to God for the faithful of these parishes that must close. May God protect and watch over his flock.

Second, may I respectfully offer a humble reminder? In this section of the "Byzantine Forum" we confine our posts to prayers, requests for prayer, and sometimes, questions and discussion about prayer.

May I recommend other areas of the forum (such as "Town Hall" or "Parish Life") for discussions of a more general nature?

the unworthy,

Elias

John K Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Medved:
"...You mean to say that there remain only 12 Ruthenian parishes in New York?..."

The new parish of St. Nicholas is made up of immigrants from Stara Lubovna and Litmanova and a couple of other towns. They are NOT under Passaic but under either Presov or Kosice. They wanted a Slovak speaking priest and I understand they're doing VERY WELL...

They are even advertising in the Slovak daily newspapers and took out a big ad in progam booklet for the last Slovak Heritage Festival in New Jersey...

M'nohaja Lita!
Mark--Where is the new parish of St. Nicholas? We don't hear when parishes are closed, and it seems, when new ones are formed either!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.