The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 325 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
John
OP Offline
John
Resilient monks build idyllic spread in Michigan

BY THOMAS BEVIER
Knight Ridder Newspapers
Fri, Oct. 10, 2003

EAGLE HARBOR, Mich. - (KRT) - When the two monks showed up in Eagle Harbor, Mich., in the summer of 1983, local residents were respectful of their faith, but they doubted it was strong enough to survive a Keweenaw Peninsula winter.

"A woman who'd lived here all her life stopped by when we first arrived," said one of the monks, Father Basil. "She saw the five cords of wood we had to heat our 600-square-foot, un-insulated cabin. `You'll die,' " she said.

Click here to read entire article. [centredaily.com]

Admin.,

Thank you for posting this encouraging story. After the somewhat disappointing news (for me) about our former monastery in Florida, it is good to remember that there are still Eastern Catholic monasteries going strong in this country.

Anthony

Lovely article. Thanks!

S
S
My wife and I had the privledge of attending a Vespers there many years ago. It was my wife's first experience with a Byzantine Liturgy.

They are wonderful men.

I also was unaware that Msgr. Kern had a role in the founding of the monastery, yet more lives touched by that saintly man.

( I also have very fond memories of their thimbleberry jam, on toast with butter mmmmmm smile )

Dear Friends,

Remember, when no one else wants you, the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church wants you!

Married candidates for the priesthood? Come on down!

Monastics without stability? Come on down!

Laity in need of a parish home? Come on down!

When you're in a box, or from the school of hard knocks, don't go Orthodox - come to the UGCC - it really rocks!

Alex
UGCC public relations advisor-wannabe

J
J
"After about 10 years of failed efforts to be designated as a monastery by the Roman Catholic Church, the monks turned to the Eastern (Byzantine) Catholic tradition, specifically to the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, which welcomed them."

A Latin priest friend of mine remembers their early days when they were still Latin. Didn't they run a retreat house back then?

The Thimbleberry jam sounds good. They will hear from me soon. smile

http://www.societystjohn.com/index.html

Joe

L
L
I'm proud of this thread--a buddy of mine is in that monastery!!

When you're in a box, or from the school of hard knocks, don't go Orthodox - come to the UGCC - it really rocks!

Alex
UGCC public relations advisor-wannabe
Perhaps you have found your new career, Alex? Don't expect great pay (at least materially). smile

Can we put that to rap and make a hip-hop video with guys in riassas? The Studites in Univ or Kolodyvka maybe? smile I think it was Chtec Dave who tried putting Kumbaya to Carpathian chant... perhaps he should write the score. wink

LatinTrad, you should be proud. They were all at the consecration of Bishop Richard back in June in their monastic habits. A great and holy group of men.

Dear Friends,

And it is good for the Ukie Church to be exposed to Benedictinism.

The delicious jams don't hurt 'neither. wink

And we Ukies know how to lay it on thick, when need arises, especially with our bishops . . .

Alex

J
J
Originally posted by LatinTrad:
I'm proud of this thread--a buddy of mine is in that monastery!!
LT,

One of our parishioners is a monk there too.

Joe

THANK YOU.
THANK YOU.
AND THANK YOU AGAIN for the above invitations to join the Ukrainian Byzantine Catholic Church. (I am Ruthenian.)

Two questions:
1. Are there any UGCC monasteries west of the Mississippi River???
2. And more specifically,are there any women's monasteries west of the Mississippi River????

On the internet, I found several addresses in Canada, but in the U.S.A.????

Maybe there are others who are interested, so may I please be so BOLD as to ask for websites and/or mailing addresses? I have no problem with snail-mail, in fact, I tend to rely on it quite a bit.

Thank you in advance to all who can answer these questions for me and for others who may want to know and do not know who to ask.

May Our Lord bless all of you!!

C
C
Originally posted by Diak:
Can we put that to rap and make a hip-hop video with guys in riassas? The Studites in Univ or Kolodyvka maybe? smile I think it was Chtec Dave who tried putting Kumbaya to Carpathian chant... perhaps he should write the score. wink
Yo yo, Ree-der D is in da' skete, ready to cut yo Ukie gangstah' rap, dawg!

This wouldn't be the first time monks would have music videos... remember the rockin' Greek monks?

biggrin

C
C
The rap video will begin with the Christian greeting "Christ is in da hood!" (Christos posredi nas).

Don't be hatin', aight?

Dave

A
A
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I feel ya, dawg.

We be hard ova' heeh' on da eastside! Ya know was' up!

Givin a shout out to all da Rusins in da house! Keep it real and don't let the Latins on da westside keep ya down!

Eastsiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!

We out, we out we out!

Arturo
da Ruthenian Mexican gangsta (chale homes!)

Dear Friends,

Yo, dawg! wink

I'm all for cultural adaptation. Perhaps if we were cool on rap we could bring in an Ethiopian Rite . . .

During Lent, a Native Canadian who attends our Church (the Church that was in the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding") took two branches and made them into a Cross. He raised them into the air and began praying - no one seemed to mind.

Can anyone help our friend out with respect to the monasteries above? I left my Basilian Almanac at home . . .

Remember, also, that Patriarch Josef Slipyj always included the words "Greco-Ruthenian" after "Particular Ukrainian Catholic Church" - so Ruthenians are always welcome!

We are all Ruthenians - it is just that not all of us are from the mountains . . .

Later!

Alex

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.