The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 234 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19
#170056 12/04/04 04:16 PM
A
A
Jean-Francois wrote:
Yuschenko may still be killed....
There is a dastardly twist to all this.

The Ukrainian Constitution allows for the Prime Minister to become President if there are no presidential candidates.

Antrodox

"Phyletism is heritical only to those ethnics in the majority."
#170057 12/04/04 06:13 PM
O
OP Offline
O
It was announced a short time ago [about 5pm - but I was cooking at that point smile ] on the evening TV News that Yanukovych has announced he will be standing in the new 2nd round on Dec 26.

Maybe this is correct , maybe it is a smoke screen - my information is that if he pulls out now then the nearest 'loser' in the origional Round one would replace him for this new round 2.

However if Yanukovych pulles out nearer the date [ about 10 days I think - though not 100% sure of this ] then only Yushenko would be on the ballot papers but he would have to have over 50% of the votes cast.

So the question is - does Yanukovych really intend to stand ?

#170058 12/04/04 08:56 PM
Yanukovych's campaign manager has resigned, and more of the deputies are moving over to Yushchenko. December 26th was the day mentioned again on BBC World Service as that set aside by the Supreme Court for the re-election.

#170059 12/04/04 11:15 PM
J
J
Vladimir Putin has announced today "that under no no conditions should a 3rd round of voting take place in Ukraine" as announce for December 26, 2004.

KGB agent Putin has publicly) stated today that people loyal to the Russian empire should do eveything possible to ensure that the elections do not take place.

"Everything possible" may include killing Yuschenko (or even Kuchma or Yanukovich), or finding (or creating if needed) a reason to declare martial law, then postpone the elections indefinitely, or using millions of dollars they have to bribe as many people as possible, or .....

International observers will be needed again. They are seeking people who are able to spend at least two full weeks in Ukraine. They will need more than the 5000 they had last time AND people who are willing to stay for the duration. Due to the Christmas holiday period, it has become more difficult to have Christians volunteer.

The Ukrainian American communittee is seeking candidates to monitor the elections. Please contact your local Ukie church to volunteer.

If you do not follow the 'old calendar' (Julian) please consider doing so this year and volunteer with other members of your church (I'm sure Jesus would approve). Do not worry about the cost of the trip, most if not all of it will be paid for by donations.

THE SITUATION IS DIRE - PLEASE ACT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. IF YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN, PLEASE RE-ENLIST.

I.F.

#170060 12/04/04 11:32 PM
J
J
Originally posted by Our Lady's slave of love:
Maybe this is correct , maybe it is a smoke screen - my information is that if he pulls out now then the nearest 'loser' in the origional Round one would replace him for this new round 2.

However if Yanukovych pulles out nearer the date [ about 10 days I think - though not 100% sure of this ] then only Yushenko would be on the ballot papers [b] but
he would have to have over 50% of the votes cast.

So the question is - does Yanukovych really intend to stand ? [/b]
The strategy is to do everything possible NOT TO HAVE A 3RD ROUND (That's the buzz here in D.C.).

The 'orange revolution' has already spread to Uzbekestan and Moldova which have thrown their support to Yuschenko. Belarus is rubbling (that's more than that country ever does) and Russia is desperate to hold it's (evil) empire together.

Comrade KGB agent turned pseudo-czarevich Putin will do everything possible to keep the 'old empire order' in place. The New York Times did a featue article today on the attempted assassination of Yuschenko using an unknown CHEMICAL AND/OR BIOLOGICAL AGENT. Is Putin willing to use this on a larger scale to stop the 3rd roudn of voting (the 'orange revolution') ?

I will be attending the Polish Roman Catholic Church this Sunday to pray for Ukraine. Please also attend a Ukrainian or Polish church to pray for 48,000,000 people who are seeking nothing more than what the rest of Europe has.

I.F.

#170061 12/05/04 02:13 AM
I read Pat Buchanan's column in the paper today. Usually, I ignore it because I deem Buchanan to be an idiot.

Buchanan criticized the West for supporting Yushchenko. It's as if he is making an excuse for Russia to control Ukraine and saying that it is no business of the West who runs the country.

As I said, Buchanan is an idiot, but an even more stupid one than I judged him to be. I will make it a point to pray for freedom in Ukraine daily. This Pole (I think I have a bit of Ukie blood but I can't prove it) desires freedom for the Ukranian people.

#170062 12/06/04 05:18 AM
Putin has absolutely made a total idiot out of himself these past two weeks and he has definately ruined what respectable image he had in the world.

Maybe all the sins he has committed murdering innocent people is comming back to haunt him.

On a lighter note, who wants to egg Yanukovych? It's a fun game! http://www.politikan.com.ua/web/ya3/index.htm

????? ??? ?????? - ??? ?? ????????!

Prayers for Ukraine.....

#170063 12/06/04 08:00 AM
O
OP Offline
O
UC
Now that is indeed a bit of innocent fun biggrin

On a more serious note though :_

Yesterday I passed on thanks to our Parish Priest/Pastor for the Prayers that were offered last week during Mass for Ukraine and its peoples.

His reply ,when I said that I hoped that they would continue till settlement of the Presidency was over, was

" Well it's over now - they have their new Election !"

My Jaw dropped - and I commented that prayers were needed more than ever that this new 2nd round would be a fair election - with people being able to vote without hassle , people voting once [ and not, as has happened many times, using absentee ballots ], that there were no pens filled with vanishing ink , and ballot boxes did not vanish on the way to the count and the papers inside these boxes did not mysteriously disintegrate.

Dunno if this went in though frown

AND - I was wearing my orange ribbon.

Anhelyna - who does her very best to raise the profile of Ukraine.

#170064 12/06/04 09:44 AM
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally posted by Our Lady's slave of love:
Anhelyna - who does her very best to raise the profile of Ukraine.
Anhelyna,

I think you've done an incredible job of posting news from the BBC and other European outlets on the situation in Ukraine (it's especially appreciated by we non-Slavs, who aren't able to translate the non-English sites). You are owed thanks from all of us.

As soon as my Uke brethren allow me to register to vote cool , I'm casting my ballot for you as Honorary Ukrainian #1 here at the Forum smile .

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
#170065 12/06/04 11:13 AM
O
OP Offline
O
Hehe - sorry Neil - too late with that one - I was adopted as a Ukie long ago - indeed when no lesser person than Alex decided it was time I had a Ukie name biggrin

But thanks so much for the complement - I do appreciate it.

Man - I can't translate the non- English Sites either biggrin - but I do have a wee list of those which offer an English version - though it's often several days behind hand frown

Anhelyna - the non Ukie Ukie biggrin

#170066 12/06/04 01:55 PM
Dear Friends,

As one placard read at a demonstration here - "Put In Garbage!"

I asked my kids in religion class who attended the demonstrations so far - almost all raised their hands.

I asked one boy why he went - he said because all his friends were going.

Then he said, (and he doesn't speak Ukrainian), but " I really went because . . . I love Ukraine."

Alex

#170067 12/06/04 02:03 PM
Dear Friends,

It cannot be doubted that a major showdown is now underway involving Putin.

By fighting for the "Russian empire" (excuse me while I "glasnost. . ."), Putin is also fighting for his own political life and his efforts aimed at maintaining a centralized grip on Russia and its subtle satellites.

But the end cannot but be near for him and his reign, thanks be to God our Liberator.

As for Buchanan, that fellow is the one who once penned an article in which he described the break-up of Canada and how the U.S. should "pick up the pieces" of the remaining provinces.

The U.S. should then just take the Baja peninsula as payment for all the help it has given to Mexico - and then buy Greenland from Denmark.

That is why he defends Putin - imperial dreamers share much in common.

"Put-In Garbage!"

Alex

#170068 12/06/04 02:10 PM
Dear Neil,

Yes, Anhelyna was ordained an honorary Ukrainian by me some time ago. A name change was involved, very much as what happens when one receives monastic tonsure.

One only need to click on one's computer mouse three times, then kiss it, then jump up and pretend one is doing the "Hopak" Ukrainian dance as one pronounces one's new Ukrainian name with as much of a Slavic accent as one's Anglo-Celtic background will allow . . .

Alex

#170069 12/06/04 02:11 PM
I
I
Alex,
Last Friday night, after attending my ritual indoor soccer game, I decided to take Bloor Street home, in the hopes to see the Christmas lights on the trees and retail stores.
To my surprise outside the Russian embassy, I encountered hundreds of protesters. I immediately grabbed my gym bag, pulled out my orange soccer jersey, and waved it outside my window, and honked my horn. I was greeted with loud cheers and a few "hopefully" kind Ukrainian words from the assembly.

Just my two cents in support of your people and their quest.

Brad

#170070 12/06/04 02:30 PM
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally posted by Orthodox Catholic:
The U.S. should then just take the Baja peninsula as payment for all the help it has given to Mexico - and then buy Greenland from Denmark.
Alex,

"Buy"? We've let Greenland have the honor of hosting our airbase at Thule all these years - now you want us to pay money? You Canadian Ukes, no sense of values wink .

Next thing, you'll be expecting each province to be made a state (Pat says you can have 2 senators and be grateful for that :p ).

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.