The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#17204 04/24/02 02:59 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Dear Friends,

The following is an excerpt from a longer article in EWTN news. Does anyone have more details about these martyrs?

23-Apr-2002 -- Vatican Information Service

DECREES OF THE CONGREGATION FOR THE CAUSES OF SAINTS

VATICAN CITY, APR 23, 2002 (VIS) - This morning in the Clementine Hall, in the presence of the Holy Father, the members of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints and the postulators of the respective causes, 19 decrees were promulgated relative to 22 Blesseds and Servants of Gods. Cardinal Jose Saraiva Martins, prefect of the Congregation, read a discourse on the lives of the future blesseds and saints.

MARTYRS

- Martyrdom of the servants of God Pietro Vitchev, Paolo Djidjo and Giosafat Chichkov, professed priests of the Congregation of Augustinians of the Assumption, killed in hatred for the faith on November 11, 1952 in Bulgaria.

- Martyrdom of the servants of God, Davide Okelo and Gildo Irwa, lay catechists, killed in hatred for the faith on October 18 and 19, 1918 in Uganda.

Have a Blessed Day!

John
Pilgrim and Odd Duck

#17205 04/24/02 06:52 PM
Dear John Two-Lungs,

Were these Eastern Catholics?

Rome has beatified a Bulgarian Latin Catholic martyr before.

Just wondering.

Alex

#17206 04/24/02 06:55 PM
R
R
Why/how on earth would a Bulgarian be a Latin Catholic?? Makes about as much (well, even less) sense as a Palestinian Latin Catholic.

#17207 04/25/02 04:41 PM
M
M
How about a Japanese being a Russian Orthodox, or an Inuit being Russian Orthodox? Or an African American Byzantine Rite Catholic?????What's the difference?

The Bulgarian Martyrs, being members of a Latin Rite Order were Byzantine Rite priests.

#17208 04/25/02 04:47 PM
B
B
Rich --

Of course there are tens of thousands of Palestinian Latin Rite Christians, thanks to the Crusades (as I'm sure you are aware, in any case).

Brendan

#17209 04/25/02 05:04 PM
Dear Friends,

There would be no difference in terms of their Rite before God, to be sure!

I'm only asking because I like it when Byzantine Rite martyrs are beatified.

And I am happy to know that these were of the Byzantine Rite.

But there was one Bulgarian martyr of the Latin Rite.

And there is today a Ukrainian Latin Catholic Church in Ukraine.

These were the descendants of those who refused to become Russian Orthodox when their Ukrainian Catholic church was formally "disunified" in 1946 and went, instead, to the Latin Catholic church.

I have seen the NO Mass and the entire Latin Catholic prayerbook in Ukrainian for these Ukrainian Latin Catholics.

Brendan is right about the Latin Catholics in the Middle East.

It is nice to know the Crusaders had a usefulness that went beyond simple soldiering! smile

Alex

#17210 04/25/02 05:59 PM
R
R
I did say "less sense" than Palestinians being RC precisely to acknowledge the Crusades and other cultural "meddling" from the West. However, in Eastern Europe, where nations/peoples were largely defined by their religion, it's not clear to me how an ethnic Bulgarian would/could historically belong to the Latin Church. Bulgaria is surrounded by Byzantine Christian peoples and is a thoroughly Orthodox and Slav nation.

Surely in today's enlightened world, freedom of conscience would permit any person to be a member of any particular Catholic Church of his or her choosing, such as we see most particularly in the United States.

But not being as versed in Bulgarian history as I might like to be, perhaps I'm unaware of factors other than "meddling" that would have planted a Latin presence among the Bulgarian people.

#17211 04/25/02 06:08 PM
A
A
Originally posted by RichC:
Why/how on earth would a Bulgarian be a Latin Catholic?? Makes about as much (well, even less) sense as a Palestinian Latin Catholic.

Ethnic Bulgarian Latin-rite Catholics are the descendents of Bogomils--who are the ancestors of many Slavic Muslims-- converted to orthodox Christianity by Franciscan missionaries.

Evidently, the Bulgarian Orthodox held the Bogomils in such contempt, they refused to evangelize them.

Abdur

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: Abdur Islamovic ]

#17212 04/25/02 11:13 PM
Do you know if Josif Sokolsky, the first Exarch of the Bulgarian Grek Catholic Church will be beatified someday?

This Bulgarian Patriot was made bishop in Rome supported by Orthodox Bulgarians who wanted to found an autocephalous church. After that he was captured by Turkish soldiers and died under strange circunstances (he was killed).

#17213 04/26/02 02:00 AM
R
R
Personally, I dont see the major catastrophe in the fact that Bulgarians or any other Eastern people for that matter are members of the Latin rite. True it was not the indiginus rite of their peoples but they were converted to it, and they obviously did not put up much of a fuss over the issue. If it was true that the crusaders forcably converted these people then why wouldnt all of their brethren who are now Orthodox/Eastern Catholic be Latins? If these people truly wanted to be Byzantine then Im sure that Rome would have obliged them on it somewhere down the last 1000 years.

Many Eastern Christians seem almost amazed at how someone from their culture could practice the Latin rite. Believe me, most Latins feel the same regarding their own who turn Byzantine.

Robert K.

#17214 04/26/02 02:03 AM
R
R
Originally posted by Remie:
Do you know if Josif Sokolsky, the first Exarch of the Bulgarian Grek Catholic Church will be beatified someday?

This Bulgarian Patriot was made bishop in Rome supported by Orthodox Bulgarians who wanted to found an autocephalous church. After that he was captured by Turkish soldiers and died under strange circunstances (he was killed).

Wasnt he the fellow who was kidnapped by the Tsar and locked away n the Kyiv caves monastery for the rest of his life? If he is then I doubt that the canonization will take place least it offened the delicate sensibilities of our seperated brethren in Moscow.

Robert K.

#17215 04/26/02 02:48 PM
A
A
Alex:

Somehow such "activities" pursued by the Crusaders, beyond soldiering, titillate my senses!

AmdG

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.