The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick, EasternChristian
5,999 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 252 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,398
Posts416,768
Members5,999
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
T
Originally posted by Johan S.:
... unfortunately there are countless examples of bishop/priest going against Vatican orders by selling off Church holy things.
Is THAT where they get all that stuff on eBay ("You are bidding only on the reliquary; the relic is a free gift." Yeah, right, and the bidding would go to hundreds of dollars if the seal were tampered with and the relic missing? wink ) I even saw an Eastern Rite antemesium there once.

I figured they came from estate sales, but I wondered how they fell into individual people's hands in the first place.

Glory be to Jesus Christ!! Glory be to Him forever and ever!!!

I remember being told that at one time it was the custom in the Latin Church to give a bishop of each newly created diocese a relic of the True Cross. This relic was to be transferred to each newly appointed bishop as he took control of the see. If this is correct, it may be that this is the way that this reliquary happened to be in the Cathedral. Beyond that, let's give the Cathedral staff and the bishop the benefit of the doubt.

As to how it found its way to where it was found, only God knows. Relics have come to be an embarrassment to many in the Latin Church today, but not to everyone. I look at the whole in the same way we should have reverence for every human being who dies--since Christ took on human flesh, every human being is shown to have value beyond any station in life, any wealth, or any other measure. Once the Incarnation happened, there can never again be human beings without value beyond price.

I have a relic in a crucifix attached to a rosary. I was given it by my pastor in the late 1960s. He received it as a gift from the Pope when he was invested as a Domestic Prelate. It is authentic and it is a treasure of mine.

I think that part of the problem with the thinking of those who have problems with relics is their aversion to the fact that we are made of flesh and spirit. Some seem to have problems with the idea of flesh being something that can become holy as well as the spirit.

In Christ,

BOB

OP Offline
My thoughts on the subject are that God put it in a protected place until such time as it could come out and truly receive the adoration that it should be given.

I imagine a priest put it there for safe keeping, for whatever reason, maybe he died or was transfered and in the rush of things forgot about it.

Why look to the negative when in all things God draws good from it. The people that have it now are truly thankful for this gift of the splinter of the Life Giving Cross. Praise God!

Rose

Dear Rose,

Thankyou for having a more optimistic outlook than me. Forgive me if I have offended any of my beloved RC brethren.

However, I guess my comment was clouded by overhearing a Greek Orthodox priest from Denver tell my husband that he was being offered holy relics from the local Roman Catholic churches that no longer wanted them. frown

In Christ,
Alice

OP Offline
Alice,

I know what you mean, it is all so confusing right now. But, God is still on His throne! The important thing is too pray for those who would throw aside any of God's treasures that are given to the Church for the building of faith.

There is so much craziness going on in the world, all we can do is look to heaven and know that the Triune God is not going to allow anything to happen that will take us away from Him. And He draws good from everything, no matter how crazy it seems to be in our minds.

Rose

Rose,

The craziness is with some liberal and evil Bishops! Do you know how many Bishops have had to resign in SHAME in the last ten years? Well, it is a lot. There is hope though the new priest coming up are good priest and are conservative priest. God is doing house cleaning right now. I wish HE would hurry up! smile

L
L
Being a hardcore crime buff, I guess I know alot of horror stories. So I'll relate a few. On the North Side of Chicago their is an occult book store that sells chalices, monstrances and other paraphernalia connected to Roman Catholic worship. How exactly these religious articles are obtained, I'am not aware, but I do understand how they can be treated so carelessly, and ultimately end up as the property of those that depise Our Saviour Jesus Christ.

The example of how we should treat that which is Holy, often comes to us from those who hold religious office. Shortly after Cardinal Cody arrived in Chicago in 1965, he personally supervised what can only be termed the desecration of our once magnificent Holy Name Cathedral. Beautiful stained glass windows were broken up, and beloved statues ended up God knows where. A few years later an ultra liberal priest on the South Side, organized a group of men from the parish of St Anthony of Padua, who then took sledge hammers to the side altars of Our Blessed Mother and St Joseph. The statues in his opinion, were the object of superstitious worship !

Is it any wonder that Holy relics of the faith are no longer treated with reverence, when Cardinals and priests openly discourage their veneration.

Respect for Holy Things?

Dear Friends:

The lack of respect and devotion for holy relics is one of the saddest outcomes of the post Vatican II Church.

I personally have a very large collection (which I managed to save from many a questionable fate).

I have a Priest friend who was once walking past a church in the US and saw something strange in the garbage.

Someone had thrown out various religious articles including a group of relics.

The story of the misplaced relic does not surprise me in the least.

The only difference between then and now, is that today the relics would not be thrown out but just offered for sale on ebay.

May God forgive them.

defreitas

Interestingly enough, also in Columbus is a lovely priest who uses the defunct school at his parish to house a "museum" of church articles, holy things and rescued organs.(He's a gifted musician.) When a church around here renovates, oftentimes Fr. Lutz rescues the stuff. The cool thing is though, that when a church is in need of something, it's outta the "museum" in a heartbeat, going to where it's needed.

Cheers,

Sahron

T
T
The eBay situation is especially irritating. When they first started out, they were very respectful of the Catholic position that selling relics is wrong, and would remove relics from auction when they were reported.

Now they actually have a special auction section just for relics!!

L
L
Originally posted by Sharon Mech:
Interestingly enough, also in Columbus is a lovely priest who uses the defunct school at his parish to house a "museum" of church articles, holy things and rescued organs.(He's a gifted musician.) When a church around here renovates, oftentimes Fr. Lutz rescues the stuff. The cool thing is though, that when a church is in need of something, it's outta the "museum" in a heartbeat, going to where it's needed.

FATHER LUTZ IS DA MAN!! smile

He is my fiance�'s pastor, and will be saying our wedding Mass in the immemorial Traditional Rite.

That's cool that Sharon Mech knows him too. The world gets smaller and smaller. biggrin

I can't even read about what the liberal freaks do with relics, because of how much rage it provokes within me.

God Bless!

LatinTrad

S
S
My pastor is fortunate enough to have a Relic of the True Cross ( two slivers crossed). It's attached to one of the original seals ( 13th century vellum)

While normally kept in his office (due to it's value), it was displayed for veneration on the Feast of the Holy Cross ( a week ago last Sunday in the Roman Calendar)

I knew it! I knew it! I just couldn't find it! Here is a website dedicated to selling Catholic Holy Things!

http://www.kingrichards.com/

Make sure you see the altars:
http://www.kingrichards.com/catalog...;category_uid=1&sub_category_uid=201

I ask the question: Respect for Holy Things?

Deacon John make sure you answer my question!

Make sure you see the hundreds of Gold Chalices for sale!

http://www.kingrichards.com/store/index.html?section=store

No doubt replaced with a Glass Chalice!

Disgusting!!! mad

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.