The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
When my son was looking for a college that offered an undergrad degree in Eastern Christian Theology (or something close to that) we couldn't find one stateside. He recently got some literature in the mail from Hellenic College at Holy Cross. Does anyone know anything about this school? (Luckily, Ottawa isn't too far away!) It might be nice to maybe have this kind of info on another of byzcath.org's informational pages for future reference.

I in note there are a few places in the USA and Canada offering such a course. I just did quick search in Google on the internet. Sounds an interesting course.

Perhaps you can pm Father Anthony for some more information.

Hellenic College is the adjunct school to the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America's theological seminary and is on the same campus, which is a very pretty one in Brookline, Mass., (just a short drive from Boston).

Alice

OP Offline
Pavel, he ended up going to Canada - about a 12 hour drive from here. He likes it. But when he made his decision we didn't know there were any other options. Luckily, he loves it where he is!

That is good to hear. I noted a few places offering that degree in eastern Canada. Take care!

A
A
Hellenic College is not a strict Christian school in the sense that it does not enforce Christian ethics in the personal or even academic lives of the students. For example, from what I have heard, cheating on tests, while certainly not encouraged, is not punished. Likewise with social relationships among the students.

Having said that, present on campus are many very holy people, both staff and students, from whom a true seeker of the faith would find great strength. These role models are often held up by the school for emulation.

I interpret the school's mind to be very truly Eastern in this regard: that in the end, at the deepest level, the road that we take is always our own choice.

In Christ,
Andrew

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.