The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#184452 01/28/03 09:52 PM
OP Offline
I was wondering if anyone out there new of a place where I could find the Grail Psalter, the one approved and used in the Roman Rite liturgy of the hours. I'd like to just get a book with the psalms in a good, modern translation but am not even sure if anyone publishes just the psalter (and not as a part of the liturgy of the hours books).

God bless.
John

#184453 01/29/03 12:07 AM
John
John
The Psalms: A New Translation - Singing Version
Paulist Press - $14.95 paperback
ISBN-0-8091-1669-3
About 5" x 7", 256 pages

This edition is a reprint of the 1963 original edition without change.

I highly recommend this edition for personal prayer.

#184454 01/29/03 01:29 AM
OP Offline
Thank you Administrator!

I knew there would be someone on this forum that would be able to help....even if my question was not really pertaining to anything specifically eastern.... wink

I'll check with the store the Daughters of St Paul run near here....

By the way, is this the psalter that Ruthenians or Byzantines use too? Is there a standard translation that the Ruthenian church uses?

John

#184455 01/29/03 01:39 AM
John
John
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
By the way, is this the psalter that Ruthenians or Byzantines use too? Is there a standard translation that the Ruthenian church uses?
There is no official standard English translation of the Psalter in the Byzantine-Ruthenian Church. Our Psalter should be a translation of the Septuagint Psalter (LXX) (the Greek Psalms) but so far no one has produced a good, modern English version. Archbishop Raya and Baron Jose De Vinck produce a partial translation in 1969 and it seems to have been used in most of our liturgical books. It is, IMHO, a bit too literal and lacks the poetry and majesty of the Grail. Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Massachusetts has a very good Elizabethan English version of the LXX but since we use American English it is not very useful to us for liturgical worship. New Skete has also produced a fine translation but it does not appear to have been embraced by any of the Byzantine Churches. There are a few other versions of the LXX but the ones I know of utilize inclusive language and are therefore unacceptable for liturgical worship.

I believe that the original Grail Psalter is the one our liturgical commission has chosen for use in new liturgical publications until such time when a suitable LXX is produced.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.