The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ray S. Offline OP
OP Offline
Make no mistake I will not give any more money!

Archdiocesan agency helps gays adopt children [boston.com]

BOSTON --The social services agency of the Archdiocese of Boston has allowed 13 foster children to be adopted by same-sex couples in the past two decades, despite Vatican teachings against homosexuality.

Leaders of Catholic Charities of Boston said state regulations prohibit the agency from discriminating based on sexual orientation
I knew non-orthodox things were going in Catholic Charities but I had NO idea this kind of stuff was going.

The answer to this problem is easy -> STOP the adoption agency if you are force to introduce children into EVIL families.

Some how I think Catholic Charities in Boston wants gay adoption but that is the little voice in the back of my head.

something to consider before you decide not to give to Catholic Charities:

A donor to Catholic Charities may designate his gift to a particular area of need. Although, most NPO's prefer unrestricted gifts, they would rather have a designated gift than no gift at all.

Ray S. Offline OP
OP Offline
There are other countless worthy Catholic/Orthodox Charities that need money. Better to give to them then waste money on the garbage above.

On a side note:
I truly believe in the West we have lost sight of what it means to be martyrs for the faith. If we truly wanted to take up our cross and follow Christ then this kind of sinful action would not happen. Of course this all starts with me as a member of the Church.

T
T
Okay, I'm going to play devil's advocate here, because I read the article and noticed the following:

The children placed with gay couples are among the most difficult to place, either because they are older or have physical or emotional problems.
If a gay couple is willing to care for a child that no one else will take; if the child is willing to go with them; and if there's no evidence of abuse, then I don't see why this is so "evil". Especially if the alternative is remaining within "the system".

For a lot of these kids, a flawed "family" may be better than no family at all.

Ray S. Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't see why this is so "evil"
Ok Theist Gal I'll take a shot at this.

I read Dr. James Dobson's book Bringing Up Boys [family.org]

Dr. Dobson is a very controversial subject. He is a Protestant and his views do differ from the Church in many respect.

With that said Dr. Dobson points out some very interesting research with regards to S.S.A.D and children. Basically the issue that has been debated in society is whether SSAD cause is either Nature or Nurture. Dr. Dobson points out that there is much research to indicate SSAD is in fact caused from Nurture.

Now to keep this discussion limited I will not point out all the research. Let's assume he is correct for discussion. If you place a troubled child in a more troubling situation the end result might be far worse.

This is where the "evil" comes in. You subjecting the child daily to a sinful (evil) lifestyle and at the same time telling the child that it is not evil. You are hurting the child twice and worst of all you are calling evil good!

Do I need to continue?

T
T
Well, that may or may not be true. I'm not a big fan of Dr. Dobson for the reasons you mentioned.

Also, I hate to do the old "some of my best friends are [fill-in-the-blank]", but it's true, I have known some gay guys who I think would make excellent parents - better than some straight people I've known.

And I don't agree that all gay people automatically lead an intrinsically evil life, on a daily basis.

Guess I am just hopelessly corrupted on this one issue - sorry! wink

I'm afraid I will not be giving to Catholic Charities anymore, either. When my dollars are limited, I must give to the organizations which do the best with them. One that has appealed to me recently is to give to my own parish's fund for ministry in Haiti. We have a couple of parishioners, one a medical doctor, who go to Haiti a few times a year to work, first-hand, setting up medical clinics and schools. 100% of the money goes directly to our sister parish and mission there. Also, a mere $20 can accomplish HUGE things there for the destitute and ill, such as feeding and educating a few children for an entire month. I have decided that when I know the money is going to be spent 100% on very needed and effective ministries and assistance, that is where I will give. Huge U.S. organizations with offices in high rent districts in New York City, or expensive real estate somewhere else may often be accomplishing a lot, but I would rather see my money go through more efficient channels. I prefer to see all of my money in the hands of those who need it. Grass roots organizations are my preference. We all need to KNOW the organizations and people we entrust with our money. Too much corruption is out there these days.

Sorry to be so negative, I just want my limited dollars to do the best they can.

Tammy

Originally posted by Theist Gal:
Okay, I'm going to play devil's advocate here, because I read the article and noticed the following:

The children placed with gay couples are among the most difficult to place, either because they are older or have physical or emotional problems.
If a gay couple is willing to care for a child that no one else will take; if the child is willing to go with them; and if there's no evidence of abuse, then I don't see why this is so "evil". Especially if the alternative is remaining within "the system".

For a lot of these kids, a flawed "family" may be better than no family at all.
The Church actually teaches on the subject of adoption by same sex couples. The Church strongly opposes adoption by same sex couples "above all, to avoid exposing young people to erroneous ideas about sexuality and marriage that would deprive them of their necessary defences and contribute to the spread of the phenomenon." ( CDF, CONSIDERATIONS REGARDING PROPOSALS TO GIVE LEGAL RECOGNITION TO UNIONS BETWEEN HOMOSEXUAL PERSONS , n. 5)

The document further states:

"Allowing children to be adopted by persons living in such unions would actually mean doing violence to these children, in the sense that their condition of dependency would be used to place them in an environment that is not conducive to their full human development." (ibid, n. 7)

Read the full document here. [vatican.va]

And that is utter nonsense. Gay couples raising children are no different than straight couples raising children. What is important is that the child is given love and support and stability. The Vatican just has a bug in it's ear about anything connected with homosexuality (funny too, seeing how there are so many gay priests, bishops and cardinals). If their theory is true, then how can gay clergy nurture their parishioners?

L
L
Anamchristi,

Aside from the fact that basically all of us, as well as the Church, disagree with your equating homosexual "parenthood" with heterosexual parenthood, why are you connecting the effectiveness of gay priests with homosexual adoption? Please clarify. You seem to be spurting out random sentences.

Logos Teen

T
T
Well, there was a story on the news last night, about a lesbian couple in West Hollywood, CA, who had taken in a 3-year-old girl as a foster child. After about nine months, the child was returned to her natural family - where she was abused and killed.

Which was the better situation for her? All I'm saying is, we need to look at each individual situation and find the best place for each individual child - and sometimes that might very well be with a gay person.

The better situation for her would have been to place her, and keep her, in a home with heterosexual parents. It is not an "either she go with lesbians, or be killed" situation. Clearly, having the child alive and happy would be the best situation.

Gaudior, who would like to add to anamchristi that love isn't necessarily about feeling all warm and fuzzy, it is about caring for a child enough to make sacrifices to teach it the Truth.

C
C
I believe, also, that from a purely statistical view homosexual males tend to be far from monogamous and have much shorter relationships then heterosexual couples.

So allowing adoption by gay couples (versus adoption by straight couples) would seriously increase the likelihood of the child ending up being raised by a single parent.

Just seems like a hell of a risk to take with the life of a child.

I'm sorry, Carole but I personally know several gay and lesbian couples who are raising children and they are doing a wonderful job and the children are healthy and happy. That is all that matters to me and I believe in the sight of Our Lord as well. I think on this issue as with others, our personal prejudices become involved. We need to look at the reality of these children's lives and how they are faring instead of an ideologically based belief about what gay people are "like"

Brian, if the Catholic Church opposed something, Catholic Charities has no business supporting that something, now does it?

Gaudior, thinking that the main issue is still the fact that Catholic Charities is funding something that opposes Catholic doctrine

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.