The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#186154 09/08/06 01:51 PM
The God of Abraham, Isaac and jacob is what Jews, Christians and Moslems share. The moon that appears on their flags is a Roman symbol. How may of us Byzantines own Crosses with the moon on one side of the cross and the moon on the other. These Protestants are going on with nonsense.

"It wasn't until the Ottoman Empire that the crescent moon and star became affiliated with the Muslim world. When the Turks conquered Constantinople (Istanbul) in 1453, they adopted the city's existing flag and symbol. Legend holds that the founder of the Ottoman Empire, Osman, had a dream in which the crescent moon stretched from one end of the earth to the other. Taking this as a good omen, he chose to keep the crescent and make it the symbol of his dynasty. There is speculation that the five points on the star represent the five pillars of Islam, but this is pure conjecture. The five points were not standard on the Ottoman flags, and as you will see on the following page, it is still not standard on flags used in the Muslim world today."

#186155 09/10/06 05:28 AM
M
M
The article linked below makes many good points concerning the West's inabiliy and unwillingness to address the threat posed by Islam.

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/muslimadvance.aspx

#186156 09/10/06 07:31 PM
BANNED
active
BANNED
active
On this Eve of Atrocity, the fall of the Towers, on 0-11-01, let us reflect. First of all, it was an event on the Feast of the Eastern (true)Church Calendar of the Orthodox Christain Faith, the Beheading of St John the Forerunner. The "beheading" of the Towers was in proportional scale with the neck area of a man. Those of the 'new calendarist' bent of Orthodoxy who I have spoken with, were stunned by this 'coincidence' when I brought this to their attention. You could see it in their eyes, as to the Light of this small revelation and enlightenment. Was this whole thing a 'coincidence' as some would proclaim, or as in many things, one more stitch in the tapestry of the Revelation of the Life of the world, and the coming Kingdom to come.
Jesus (Yeshua-Joshua-Savior) is the Light of the world, and Christ (ha'Maschiah-Messiah-Hristos) the Annointed One, He (not she) is True God. IF, Mohammed is on the Other Side, he knows this, and surely must reget the innocent blood his followers have brought to the sacred ground of this Terra Firma. As declared by God the Father, the first innocent blood cried out from the ground as Abel died, when He spoke to Cain the first murderer. Could Mohammed have seen down through the centuries how many would be banished from God's Presence by the shedding of innocent blood..?

#186157 09/15/06 01:33 PM
OP Offline
preach the Word, brother, preach the Word.
Much Love,
Jonn

#186158 09/15/06 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Pavel Ivanovich:
That moon god stuff again. I see that hand of the Evangelical Protestants here, as they are the only ones who go on and on about it. Such ignorance!
My Coptic Christian Doctor who grew up in Alexandria makes the same argument. Perhaps there is more to it than you realize. He has icons all over his office and has not converted to Evangelical Protestantism.

CDL

#186159 09/15/06 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Pavel Ivanovich:
The God of Abraham, Isaac and jacob is what Jews, Christians and Moslems share. The moon that appears on their flags is a Roman symbol. How may of us Byzantines own Crosses with the moon on one side of the cross and the moon on the other. These Protestants are going on with nonsense.

That is not technically true. Certainly all claim Abraham as the Father but Muslims have little to do with Isaac.

CDL

#186160 09/15/06 02:36 PM
J
Jim Offline
J
I wonder why some group has not decided to regularly leaflet local mosques and cultural centers in an effort to inform and convert to christianity. Groups do it lots of other places for a variety of reasons and sects. (I am not speaking of any one group in particular. It just sort of puzzles me as to why it hasn't happened, especially since 9/11.) Maybe potential legal issues and perceived dangers since 9/11 have prevented more zealous groups from trying that. If anyone has heard of such activities, I'd like to know more about them.

#186161 09/15/06 03:06 PM
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally posted by Jim:
I wonder why some group has not decided to regularly leaflet local mosques
Jim,

I suspect it would be as warmly welcomed as your local Baptist Church or Buddhist Temple leafleting your parish church - and, frankly, would be equally as disrespectful (as well as potentially illegal in many places - violating trespass ordinances, leafleting ordinances, littering ordinances, and, very possibly, disruption of worship service statutes in some jurisdictions).

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
#186162 09/15/06 04:43 PM
J
Jim Offline
J
Neil, guess I sort of answered my own question, but you helped by adding details that clarify why it probably isn't happening at their centers. Guess door-to-door teams will continue as they have been doing- the Witnesses, Mormons, etc. all legally, of course.

#186163 09/15/06 07:08 PM
Z
Z
I know the Evangelicals broadcast to Muslim countries. Look! At least they try. biggrin

But forgetting that, the Muslims do not worship the same God as we do. They are in heresy. I know that the Muslims believe that we worship more than one God. In the Koran they totally refute the 'Son' part. What a Muslim convert said, is that we should not state Son, but rather state the 'Word' of God. That way it would be more understandable to them...Creator, Word, and Comforter.I know, so many always complain about the usuage, but look, it does make it more comprehensible. confused

You know when Pope Benedict quoted from the Greek Emporor, he did so with the intent to start dialogue. But of course, those without reason, took it to their advantage and related only that which was beneficial to them...and thereby aroused the Muslim 'street'. :rolleyes:

When the Evangelicals say the Muslims worship the 'moon' god, they are probably right. Not because of the symbol, but because of what the symbol stands for. It is not the source of light as the sun, but rather a reflection of light. Therefore a created being, such as satan. Or so that's my opinion. smile

Zenovia

#186164 09/16/06 04:03 PM
Z
Z
I said:

When the Evangelicals say the Muslims worship the 'moon' god, they are probably right. Not because of the symbol, but because of what the symbol stands for. It is not the source of light as the sun, but rather a reflection of light. Therefore a created being, such as satan. Or so that's my opinion.
I now say:

Well the Church does consider the God the Muslims worship as being the same God, so I guess He is....but He's so incomplete. And then again if he's incomplete, there's a space left where the 'god' of this world can creep in. Isn't there? confused

Thoughts! Thoughts! Thoughts! :rolleyes:

Zenovia

#186165 09/19/06 01:51 PM
I am no expert on Islam, but I've read enough about the atrocities committed by Muslims to wonder why any intelligent person, including so many Catholics, would consider Islam peaceful. Hogwash. Orthodox and I'm sure Eastern Catholics have died by the thousands at their hands, and we want to be ecumenical with them?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think all Muslims are terrorists... they are no better or worse than we are... but I personally think Islam is a horrible religion, and I think it's time orthodox Christians quit patronizing Islam as wonderful, peaceful, etc., and wake up and smell the coffee.

As far as I'm concerned, Muhammad is no better than Joseph Smith... just another charlatan in the grips of prelest claiming to have a vision.

I wish to offend no one. Just stating my opinion without the lovey-dovey sugar coating.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.