The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Chtec Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Does anyone know where to obtain patterns, kits or designs for "Ukrainian" style embroidered/cross stitched icons? Below are some examples of the sort of embroidery I am talking about:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks!

Dave

Wow Dave - You freak me out with your always fantastic icons !!! Ya da man.

I'm not the expert, but you may want to try YEVSHAN.com the Ukrainian gift shop online. It's the largest Ukie online gift shop and the best part is that a friend of mine in Montreal owns it.

The other option is to actually have it done in Ukraine. If you are interested I can put you in touch with some people who can have one made for you.

Hritzko

M
M

C
Chtec Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hritzko,

Thanks for the lead to Yevshan. I never really thought about them (even though I'm on their mailing list - duh, Dave!). They have two charts for icons, which look promising. If I get any patterns for icons, they will be given to someone I know who does cross stitch.

The embroidered icons I showed are from the KP site. Shh, don't tell. wink

Your contacts in Ukraine interest me, and I may contact you privately.

Dave

BTW

Embroidered picture # 3 of Jesus with the book.

The left hand page of the book in Jesus' hand says: I am the Way

The right hand page of the book in Jesus' hand says: Truth and Life

When the Soviets destroyed and looted all the painted and precious metal icons in Ukraine, the people turned to embroidery as an alternate form of iconography. Many Ukrainians now prefer these over the more traditional painted and precious metal forms.

Hritzko

SLAVA ISUSU CHRISTU!

Hi Dave...

Try this link:

http://www.tregubovstudios.com/main/main.html

I've seen some of her work and I thought they were painted. She does INCREDIBLE STUFF!!!

It's not cross stitch, but satin stitch.

Hope this helps...

mark

the ikon writer
C
Chtec Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi Mark,

Slava na viki!

I've seen some embroidery pieces from the Tregubov studio, and they are great! The home parish of one of my friend's has a Plascanica that was a collaboration of three members of their family: the father designed the icon, the mother embroidered it, and the son carved a wooden display case.

Dave

This website was previously posted by someone else on the forum. The patterns which are based on an orthodox icon are identified as such.

http://www.solaria-gallery.com/gobelins/index.html

-Barbara

Don't forget also there are many programs available that will take any picture that you can scan, and digitize it into a cross-stitch chart. The nicer ones also will assign colors by their DMC or Anchor stock numbers.

Cheers,

Sharon
(who cross-stitched for about a quarter century, but can't anymore - an hour of cross stitch takes a week of steroids to remedy now - and with a holy monk's sticharion only half completed..... *sigh*)

C
Chtec Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Since this thread spurred some interest, let me update everyone on my findings:

I was able to purchase a set of patterns for "Ukrainian Religious Embroidery" from the online store "All Things Ukrainian." This collection, published by Svichado in Lviv, consisted of 23 icons. I am quite fond of some of them, while others don't particularly interest me. Included in this collection were patterns for the Boronyavo Icon (which is a replica of the Mariapocs Icon) and the Mukachevo Icon (the one that was at Chernecha Hora and then removed by the MP). All the patterns were arranged by Fr. Dmitro Blazheyovsky, who, according to his biographical information, served for a while in Ukrainian Greek Catholic parishes throughout the US.

All the icons in this collection are subtitled in English; any other information is entirely in Ukrainian. I was able to figure out some of it, though, like the suggested color for the faces and hands. (I guess Hritzko is right: Rusyns, even those who are not fluent in the language as in my case, CAN understand Ukrainian! biggrin )

I showed the patterns to my girlfriend, who said that they did not seem too complicated, especially since they did not have "under stitching" or something like that. So, we shall see how this progresses! smile

Dave

"Ukrainian Religious Embroidery" is certainly one of the best in this category.

If you ever see a spiral-bound book called "Ukrainian Cross Stitch Designs" by something like the "Ukrainian Women's Association of Canada" or similar, grab it. I can't remember if it was printed in Winnepeg or Saskatoon.

It is long out of print, but has some of the best chart designs I have seen as well as instructions on how to make a priest's set of embroidered phelon and epitrakhil. My wife made an epitrakhil for a priest out of this book and at least according to her it is also one of the best. Me, I just end up putting the needle through my thumb every time. mad

B
B
When I was in Library Science School, it was not uncommon to see students and faculty killing time between classes doing cross stitch. I remember the Dean of the college working on a huge Da Vinci Last Supper - where he got that design, I have no idea. It was at least three feet wide. Cross stitch is therapeutic for the stressed-out.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.