The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#191527 02/28/05 04:27 PM
A
A
Dear Alex:

For example, when he beatified the married couple, he did so for the City of Rome - something he could do as Pope, but also as Bishop of Rome and Metropolitan of the Roman Province and Primate of Italy.
You seem bent on limiting the "powers" of the Pope! wink

(I know, I know, you want the UGCC to glorify her "own" saints, but you are in communion with us, right? So the Pope has the honors and the authority!) :p

Yes, I agree that the veneration of the recently beatified married couple may be limited to a particular spere, in this instance to Italy or whatever, but you just stopped there and conveniently forgot to clarify that the "Blesseds" are one miracle away from canonization as "Saints."

No, I disagree that the beatification of the married couple is merely a function of the Pope as Bishop of Rome or as Metropolitan of the Roman Province or as "Primate" of Italy. As the last step to the eventual canonization of the couple, the beatification process is a function proper to the Pope's role as Supreme Pontiff of the universal Catholic Church.

There's nothing to prevent us, Catholics outside of Italy, from venerating the Blessed couple.

The future canonization of the Blessed couple as "Saints" is to be understood as the concession of public worship in the Universal Church, and that involves Papal Infallibility! biggrin

Amado

#191528 02/28/05 04:32 PM
Dear Memo,

Actually, what you raise is an important point.

We EC's don't believe we are "under" the Pope in a jurisdictional sense, save and except in a moment of ecclesial crisis and/or if our Church authorities themselves invite the pope to step in and settle a matter of dispute.

Jurisdictionally, Rome has, ideally, allowed us to govern ourselves and be responsible for our own internal matters.

We are in communion with the Pope in his universal Petrine role for the purpose of the unity of the Church as we all believe Christ wills it and for the above purpose.

We certainly recognize the Pope as Bishop of Rome etc., but this has no impact whatever on us as EC's.

So, yes, we are in communion with the Pope as Bishop of Rome (one of our priests in Toronto ONLY refers to the Pope in the Liturgy as "John Paul, Bishop of Rome" !) and the other titles.

But only one of them affects us directly and at all.

Alex

#191529 02/28/05 11:45 PM
R
Bill from Pgh
Bill from Pgh
R
"We Eastern Catholics don't believe we are 'under' the Pope in a jurisdictional sense, save and except in a moment of ecclesial crisis/and or if our Church authorities themselves invite the Pope to step in and settle a matter of dispute."
"We are in communion with the Pope in his universal Petrine role for purpose of the unity of the Church as we all believe Christ wills it and for the above purpose."

There it is in a nutshell, two sentences. Kudos, Alex!

#191530 03/01/05 03:29 PM
Dear Amado,

First of all, please take note of Bill's post above! smile

Secondly, in fact, there was an article I came across that argued the Pope had beatified that couple as Bishop of Rome for Rome - if the author was wrong, that's fine, I don't know. I've always assumed beatification is the right of the Pope.

However, even when Pope Urban VIII came out with his Bull reserving even beatifications to the papal office, many Italian and other bishops continued to beatify locally - and these Blesseds later made it into the Roman calendar (most of them, anyway).

Personally, I've never understood why Rome insists on reserving beatifications to it alone. That really is overkill on the authoritarian control score.

Local bishops in the Latin Catholic Church have the right to declare images as being miraculous (a form of canonization, to be Frank . . .) and this right developed with that of declaring local saints.

This resulted in the unfortunate situation in the Roman Church, corrected by the current Pontiff, where about 90% of the canonized saints of the Latin Church came from the three main Latin countries alone.

It is a good thing Pope John Paul II came to Rome, is all I can say.

When God calls His servant to another throne, should the next Pope be Italian, he'll have a lot of canonizations to do before he catches up with the Polish-Slavic polyglot that is on your calendar now!!

(Are there potential candidates in the Philippines that could help the Italians out, just in case? wink ).

Alex

#191531 03/01/05 04:20 PM
A
A
Dear Alex:

Surprisingly, I agree with Bill wholeheartedly! smile

(Thus far, we just got only one Filipino Saint: San Lorenzo Ruiz de Manila.)

And to think that we now have the 3rd largest Catholic population in the world at around 73 million and rapidly rising, after Brazil and Mexico. The USA, Italy, France, Spain, Colombia, Poland, and Argentina complete the top 10!

If the Pope's election was ever democratized, we could sway the votes in favor of a hispanic Cardinal or an Asian Cardinal easily, or in favor of a Byzantine Slav for that matter! biggrin

I don't know if there's something wrong with us?

Amado

#191532 03/01/05 05:06 PM
Dear Amado,

I've always esteemed the Catholicism of the Filipino people very highly - as it is worthy of all esteem!

By the way, is there a particular Good Friday devotion practiced by the Filipinos?

A kind of devotional reading on the Passion?

Alex

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.