The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Isaac14, MagdalenaRuth, gepaul, Thomas Taylor, samson
5,668 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Byzantine Nebraska
Byzantine Nebraska
by orthodoxsinner2, December 11
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
by Santiago Tarsicio, March 17
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
by JLF, November 10
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Upgraded Russian icon corner
by The young fogey, October 20
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
by likethethief, June 12
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,894
Posts412,966
Members5,668
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#191566 02/26/03 08:18 PM
AntonI Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't know if anyone is going to contribute to this thread but I though I would provide the information.

On Thursday, the Church of England and the worldwide Anglican Communion will see the enthronement of His Grace, Rowan Williams as the new Archbishop of Canterbury, Primate of all England (as opposed to the simple Primate of England title borne by the York archbishop!) and primus inter pares of the Anglican Communion.

The link below shows the order of service:

www.times-archive.co.uk/onlinespecials/britain/enthronement.pdf

They are showing on the BBC, not sure if worldwide; they could be showing it on C-Span. It is going to be on the internet as well - check the BBC and the C of E website.

What do you think his tenure will be like for inter-Christian dialogue?

Anton

#191567 02/26/03 08:25 PM
Dear Anton,

For dialogue with all Christian denominations that accept female priests and bishops - excellent!

Alex

#191568 02/26/03 08:31 PM
AntonI Offline OP
OP Offline
For my two cents, I would have preferred His Grace Bishop Richard of London. Now there is an catholic and orthodox prelate. He even has his own room full of icons and is a great fan and has studied Russian Orthodoxy. Unfortunately, he was too conservative on the women issue as well as the homosexual clergy one as well. I gather he has quite a few enemies. Its pity because I've met him and he is an extremely intelligent man - he does not mince his words and ACTS like a bishop. Plus he's got the whole patriarchal beard thing going as well (so does Rowan Williams I grant you) and has a great working relationship with HE Archbishop Gregorius, HE Metropolitan Antony, the other Orthodox leaders (including the non-Chalcedonians). Ah well....

Anton

#191569 02/26/03 08:38 PM
Dear Anton,

Being a long-standing member of the Society of King Charles the Martyr, I enjoy a solid relationship with conservative Anglicans!

As you know, the Anglicans who studied Orthodoxy had a group go into Russia where, as I understand it, they received consecration according to "economia" there.

They have had an "Orthodox-inclining" group ever since.

A number of these have even found their way into the Western Rite of the Antiochian Orthodox Church, including a good friend of mine, Fr. Stephen Walinski who had a Byzantine icon of St Charles written in England and now has it on the wall of his Orthodox parish.

Personally, I just don't see a future for "Orthodox Anglicans" within the Anglican Communion.

Ultimately, they can remain within Anglicanism as "Eastern peculiarities" or else enter into communion with Orthodoxy.

Pressures dictate the probability of the latter.

Alex

#191570 02/26/03 08:41 PM
Is the old Fellowship of St Alban and St Sergius still in existance???

#191571 02/26/03 08:43 PM
Dear Brian,

Yes, and I'm a member!

Alex

#191572 02/26/03 08:45 PM
I should have guesses\d smile You beat me to everything, Aleksandr smile

I must say I do hold a place in my heart for the words of the Book of Common Prayer

<Shock, horror, drama!> smile

#191573 02/26/03 08:48 PM
Dear Brian,

Why the shock?

As you know, Patriarch St Tikhon made that beautiful heritage available to Orthodox Christians and the Antiochian Church has it in its "Rite of St Tikhon."

I've met upset Anglicans to whom I've mentioned this, and lo and behold, some of them joined the Antiochian Church later on . . .

The language and style is so dignified and has nothing of the banalities of some modern liturgical translations.

Alex

#191574 02/27/03 02:42 AM
I too belong to the fellowship. Maybe we can have a little sub-chapter here? Will the blessed Administrator give us our own topic catagory?

Delightful enthronement program. The Catholic Cardinal of Westminster did a reading; the Orthodox Archbiship offered a prayer and the Nicene Creed said w/o filioque.

Very ecumencial. Blessings to His Grace, the Most Rev. & Rt. Honorable Lord Archbishop!

Axios

#191575 02/27/03 09:23 AM
AntonI Offline OP
OP Offline
Its today actually...sadly I will have to do my sub-student work to earn petty cash. I did want to watch it on BBC2 but I will try and see it on the internet. Still, it is frightfully ecumenically inclined with the guests.

Anton

#191576 02/28/03 03:41 PM
How does one go about joining the Society of St. Alban and St. Sergius?

Hilde

#191577 02/28/03 04:38 PM
The Anglican Communion is no longer viable, I think that many Bishops and priests from that Church (no matter if their orders are invalid or not) who are so close to Orthodoxy or Catholicism are wasting their time staying the Anglican Communion and its women priests, gay marriages and all those innovations it accepts.

It is good that many priests are now leaving the C of A (at least in the USA) to become Roman priests or Orthodox priests.

#191578 02/28/03 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Remie:
The Anglican Communion is no longer viable, I think that many Bishops and priests from that Church (no matter if their orders are invalid or not) who are so close to Orthodoxy or Catholicism are wasting their time staying the Anglican Communion and its women priests, gay marriages and all those innovations it accepts.

It is good that many priests are now leaving the C of A (at least in the USA) to become Roman priests or Orthodox priests.
What do you mean by "viable"? The Anglicans in Africa seem to being growing and believing. The Anglican Communion is not just the US and England.

Why are the Anglican clergy "wasting their time" and on what do you base this? Why is it "good" that priests leave? Good for whom?

Hilde

#191579 02/28/03 07:40 PM
I was under the impression that the Anglican Communion wasn't viable in the first place...

ChristTeen287

#191580 02/28/03 08:00 PM
Dear Hilde,

You make an excellent point.

In fact, the Anglican Churches outside North America and Britain are growing by leaps and bounds and are VERY conservative in terms of traditional Christian morality.

In fact, the conservative Anglicans outnumber the two million Anglican communicants noted in England.

For these African and Asian Anglicans, having a "gay affair" means celebrating a Church feast with exuberant liturgical services, lots of ethnic food and brightly coloured cultural costumes! wink

For them as well, "female priests" are what are studied in courses on pre-Christian pagan religions.

They consider "immoral sex doggy style" when a married man gets up on his hind legs before his bride and begs, while the wife rolls over and plays dead.

And, for them, "grass" is what you walk on and mow in the summer time . . .

They are great Christian people, all around. We can learn a few things from them. Especially with respect to sexuality . . . wink

Alex

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2020 (Forum 1998-2020). All rights reserved.