The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1935 07/13/05 10:32 AM
S
OP Offline
S
The All-Church Sobor of the UAOC-C took place at Kyiv, Ukraine, June 17, 2005.

During the Sobor, the Hierarchs voted unanimously to elevate and enthrone Metropolitan Moisey as Patriarch of the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church - Canonical.

June 18, 2005, at Kyiv, the local Sobor of the UAOC-C took place at the ancient and sacred shrine of the Ukrainian people, the church of Holy Sophia, and it was there that the enthronement of Patriarch Moisey took place.

The entrusted people, priests and bishops unanimously, with united hearts and voices, supported the election of their canonical Patriarch Moisey.

17 червня 2005 року в м. Києві відбувся Всесвітній Архієрейський Собор УАПЦк.

На Соборі Архієреї відкритим голосуванням одноголосно прийняли рішення про інтронізацію в Патріарха Київського і Всієї Руси-України Першоієрарха УАПЦ Канонічної Митрополита Мойсея.

18-го червня 2005 р.Б. в м. Києві, в старовинній святині українського народу - храмі Святої Софії, відбувся Помісний Собор УАПЦ Канонічної на якому відбулась інтронізація в Патріарха Київського і Всієї Руси-України Першоієрарха УАПЦ Канонічної Митрополита Мойсея.

Вірні, священники та архієреї одноголосно, єдиним серцем і єдиними вустами підтримали вибрання свого канонічного Патріарха Мойсея.

www.soborna.org [soborna.org]

#1936 07/13/05 11:47 AM
Ugh. This "church" is definitley one to be wary of. From what I've seen on the Internet it appears that their clergy to faithful ratio is about 1:5. Their "metropolitan" of the USA looks barely old enough to drink legally in the US, much less have made it to the rank of bishop. They are also a bit difficult to keep track of as they keep chaning their name.

Overall, this 'election' is not a reason to rejoice. You can add this character to the list of alternative "Roman Pontiffs" around the globe.

ANATHEMA!!! mad

Σώσον, Κύριε, καί διαφύλαξον η�άς από τών Βασιλιάνικων τάξεων!

#1937 07/13/05 01:22 PM
Dear Kobzar,

Judging from their site, has this group canonized Taras Shevchenko?

Alex

#1938 07/13/05 01:35 PM
Alex, I thought the canonization of Shevchenko was done years ago... smile

#1939 07/13/05 01:36 PM
A
AMM Offline
A
Have they instituted Bandura veneration? That's the real question to me.

#1940 07/13/05 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Rilian:
Have they instituted Bandura veneration? That's the real question to me.
I've been doing that for years! cool

Σώσον, Κύριε, καί διαφύλαξον η�άς από τών Βασιλιάνικων τάξεων!

#1941 07/13/05 02:11 PM
The faction headed by Patriarch Moisey is in schism from the mainline UAOC headed by Metropolitan Mefodi. Nor is he in communion with the US UAOC Eparchy headed by Metropolitan Michael

Metropolitans Michael and Stephan attend the Uniontown Otpust every year and seem very sincere and god-loving bishops.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
#1942 07/13/05 02:29 PM
Dear Rilian,

No banduras, but when the Ukrainian Orthodox Church split from Moscow in 1921, they instituted the practice of serving panakhydas in honour of Shevchenko and before his portrait which was carried in procession.

Any Orthodox priest who wished to join the autocephalous movement at that time simply joined in one of those panakhydas to show his solidarity etc.

The issue of canonizing Shevchenko as an Orthodox saint came up numerous times in Ukrainian church history, as did the canonization of the Orthodox Hetmans Bohdan Khmelnitsky and Bayda Vyshnevetsky (for their defence of Orthodoxy).

The later Princes Constantine and Alexander Ostrozhky were great supporters of Orthodoxy against the Union, and when the issue of their possible canonization by the Orthodox Church came up, RC enemies came to the Kyiv Caves Lavra, had their bodies exhumed and burned them - believing the Orthodox Church would not canonize anyone without their extant relics.

The Georgian Orthodox Church canonized their "Shevchenko" in the person of St Ilia Gavgavadze who was shot by the Russian tsarist secret police in 1907.

I see nothing wrong with the canonization of Shevchenko as an Orthodox saint, I honour his memory at home as I would any saint.

And the bandura, far from being simply a cultural musical item, was used by wandering "kobzars" (like our Andrij here!) to play their songs to their oppressed people, to keep their hopes alive and their faith in God and in a better future alive.

Consider this an addendum to your Orthodox studies! smile

Alex

#1943 07/13/05 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Deacon Lance:

Metropolitans Michael and Stephan attend the Uniontown Otpust every year and seem very sincere and god-loving bishops.

Fr. Deacon Lance
Fr Deacon,

would not the correct description be, "bishops whom God loves"? wink

#1944 07/13/05 03:37 PM
Dear Fr Deacon John,

Doesn't that remain to be seen? wink

Alex

#1945 07/13/05 03:47 PM
Fr. Deacon John wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Originally posted by Deacon Lance:

Fr. Deacon Lance
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fr Deacon,

would not the correct description be, "bishops whom God loves"? "

Dear Father John--

No. If these two bishops are Orthodox, they're "God-loving bishops!" wink Hard to get it straight, huh?

John K

#1946 07/13/05 03:56 PM
A
A
HABEMUS anotherus SCHISMATICAS ! ! ! biggrin

Amadeus

#1947 07/13/05 04:01 PM
B
B
Originally posted by Deacon John Montalvo:
Fr Deacon,

would not the correct description be, "bishops whom God loves"? wink
I guess I consider that phrase a bit presumptious. For all we know, God may not be able to stand some of the bishops. biggrin

#1948 07/13/05 04:14 PM
A
AMM Offline
A
Originally posted by KO63AP:
Their "metropolitan" of the USA looks barely old enough to drink legally in the US, much less have made it to the rank of bishop.
I really think you need to have a little more empathy for Metropolitan Michael. Are you aware of the fact that his eminence has had to significantly curtail his time spent at the mall in order to fulfill his pastoral duties? Being a ruling hierarch is not a cakewalk my friend.

Originally posted by Orthodox Catholic:
Consider this an addendum to your Orthodox studies!
It definitely is! Now I feel better about my private veneration of St. Nikolai Gogol.

#1949 07/13/05 04:27 PM
Dear AMM,

You can invoke anyone you wish - including Mykola Hohol, a great Ukrainian spiritual writer in his own rite and author of the explanatory "On the Divine Liturgy."

He overcame grave inner struggles to come to the point of presenting that spiritual gem!

Shevchenko was not only personally pious.

He defended his own people against the power structures of his day and in history.

And these included Rome and the Russian Orthodox Church.

Alex

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.