The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Vigilante, Poliscifi, The Cub, P H, Hardrada
5603 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (P H), 81 guests, and 458 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,737
Posts411,934
Members5,603
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Photo: "Unique" Vestment Fabric in Ukraine #197100 01/29/06 11:35 PM
C
Chtec Offline OP
OP Offline
C
This is for all those liturgical geeks out there (you know who you are!). I came across this pic on the Kyivan Patriarchate site. Check out the vestments of the bishop on the left: talk about busy and, ehem, unique! It looks like the maker of the fabric Googled some icons and printed them on the fabric (including the Pantocrator from Monastery icons).

http://www.my-foto.org.ua/albums/userpics/10001/13~4.JPG

Anyway, I thought it was worth sharing. biggrin

Dave

Re: Photo: "Unique" Vestment Fabric in Ukraine #197101 01/29/06 11:45 PM
ukrainiancatholic Offline
*shudder*

Re: Photo: "Unique" Vestment Fabric in Ukraine #197102 01/29/06 11:51 PM
Father Anthony Offline
Administrator
Administrator
Dave,

I have actually seem this type of vestments in Greece. They are lightweight and screen printed and easily transportable.

Personally, they are not my taste, but I do have two sets of chalice covers in this style that I use during Holy Week and Pascha. One set has the icon of the Pantacrator with the four evangelists in the corners on Red/Maroon silk. The other is a set with the icon of the Resurrection on each of the veils on white silk.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
Re: Photo: "Unique" Vestment Fabric in Ukraine #197103 01/30/06 12:53 AM
Logos - Alexis Offline
I like it! It's not as busy as the other bishops' vestments it seems to me, and you can clearly see Christ and the Saints, whereas on the other vestments all you see is a lot of embroidered busywork!

Sometimes simple things are refreshing.

Anyway, how come I never see Catholic bishops all lined up and vested for liturgical celebrations like I do Eastern Orthodox ones?

Is it because EO priests and bishops can wear all their vestments for any liturgical celebration, whereas RC priests' and bishops' full use of vestments is normally restricted to the Sacrifice of the Mass?

Or is it just my imagination?

Logos Teen

Re: Photo: "Unique" Vestment Fabric in Ukraine #197104 01/30/06 12:58 AM
Father Anthony Offline
Administrator
Administrator
Dear LT,

Orthodox hierarchs don't always wear "all" of their liturgical vestments for all services. Their is a protocol for when they are fully vested. When they are serving for Vespers, Matins, and the Divine Liturgy they are normally fully vested. For most other services it depends on the service, i.e. baptisms, weddings, and funerals.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
Re: Photo: "Unique" Vestment Fabric in Ukraine #197105 01/30/06 01:10 AM
R
rcguest Offline
Bill from Pgh
Bill from Pgh
R
It looks like the maker of the fabric Googled some icons and printed them
LOL! smile

Bill, Who has done this in the past from Dave's website.

Re: Photo: "Unique" Vestment Fabric in Ukraine #197106 01/30/06 07:29 AM
I
incognitus Offline
I
Father Anthony is correct - and my first thought on seeing the photograph was of a specific ecclesiastical tailor in Athens (we might call him Mr. Cucumber), who rather specializes in such inappropriate cloths.

It is one thing to have icons on the Mitre - since the Mitre is worn on the crown of the head, the icons are therefore in a position of honour. The same applies to the pectoral Cross and Engolpia, which have their own history and tradition. But this sort of cloth is in deplorable taste. The traditional pattern of embroidery and/or galoon may seem "busy" to those who don't know its history but it is inoffensive (and does not involve pseudo-icons from "Christian" Hindus).

Funnily enough, the Kyiv Patriarchate includes an operation in Greece, so I'm inclined to wonder if the wearer of these vestments is not perhaps Greek.

Incognitus

Re: Photo: "Unique" Vestment Fabric in Ukraine #197107 01/30/06 08:15 AM
O
Our Lady's slave Offline
O
Dave ,

Thanks for the photo -- it's ....err.....umm..

breathtaking biggrin

Re: Photo: "Unique" Vestment Fabric in Ukraine #197108 01/30/06 11:10 AM
Pavel Ivanovich Offline
The requirements to be properly vested is the same for Bishops of the Catholic Byantine tradition, as it is for the Orthodox Bishops. Those vestments would cost a bit as one would expect from vestments made with that quality of fabric.

A very interesting photo.

Re: Photo: "Unique" Vestment Fabric in Ukraine #197109 01/30/06 01:18 PM
Diak Offline
Is it because EO priests and bishops can wear all their vestments for any liturgical celebration, whereas RC priests' and bishops' full use of vestments is normally restricted to the Sacrifice of the Mass?
A bishop can preside or be present without being fully vested if he is not to go into the Altar. The Mantiya can be worn, or the Mantiya with the Small Omophorion if he is to give a blessing of some sort (such as an outdoor event).

I have seen this style of vestments in use by the Romanians as well as the Greeks.

It seems Mr. Cucumber's work gets around...
DD

Re: Photo: "Unique" Vestment Fabric in Ukraine #197110 01/30/06 06:17 PM
I
incognitus Offline
I
Mr. Cucumber's work does indeed get around - he's quite popular. Sometimes he does very nice things. And sometimes . . .

Incognitus

Re: Photo: "Unique" Vestment Fabric in Ukraine #197111 01/30/06 07:34 PM
KO63AP Offline
For some incredible embroidered vestments, including some with icons, I suggest visiting the site of the Novo-Tikhvin women\'s monastery . The link will take you directly to the Russian version of the page displaying their work - just click on the pictures. There is an English version of the site, but it has considerably fewer pictures.

Oυτις ημιν φιλει ου φροντιδα | Nemo Nos Diliget Non Curamus

Re: Photo: "Unique" Vestment Fabric in Ukraine #197112 01/30/06 11:25 PM
Nonna Offline
Incognitus:

what is the history behind the embroidery on the vestments?

Thank you!

Re: Photo: "Unique" Vestment Fabric in Ukraine #197113 01/31/06 06:24 PM
ukrainiancatholic Offline
Here is a picture of Bishop Michael Kovtun of the UGCC wearing an all embroidered sakkos and small omophorion. It's pretty interesting.

The majority of the embroidery seems to be of famous churches in Kyiv, mainly that of the Percheska Lavra and St. Sofia's.

http://vi06n140.members.eunet.at/ugcc/Inns/pages/DSCN6215.htm

Re: Photo: "Unique" Vestment Fabric in Ukraine #197114 01/31/06 09:20 PM
Diak Offline
An English version of the Novo-Tikhvin convent's work can be found at

http://www.sestry.ru/eng/content/bip/04/057

They have made some beautiful vestments, some in use by patriarchal clergy as well as Archbishop Vikenty of Yekaterinburg.

Of course, for those in the US, it is hard to beat Nikita Borisov's work: http://nikitatailor.com/index.htm
I have been very satisfied with everything that Nikita has made for me.
DD

Page 1 of 2 1 2

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2019 (Forum 1998-2019). All rights reserved.