The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Vigilante, Poliscifi, The Cub, P H, Hardrada
5603 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 61 guests, and 457 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,738
Posts411,940
Members5,603
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Closing Threads #199601 08/10/05 01:41 AM
Alice Offline
Dear Father Anthony,

I hear from my son that Belgian French Fries are awesome.

Was the grandmere you speak of, Belgian perhaps?

Many years ago there used to be a tiny restaurant in NYC called 'Le Steak'. They ONLY served steak with an awesome French sauce, salad, and Pomme Frite (French fries) from scratch, which I remember as being incredibly, incredibly delicious.

Alice

Re: Closing Threads #199602 08/10/05 02:23 AM
Father Anthony Offline
Administrator
Administrator
Alice,

Unfortunately, that grandmother was from the Venetian Italian half. It was one of the only dishes she could make that were edible, and that made up for all other cooking attempts. It is a miracle that my father lived to be an adult, with cooking like that. She definitely broke all elusions about Italians and their cooking skills, save her fried potatoes. God grant her peace and repose, for she surely exposed the torments of hell in her cooking. Penance was done by all who ate her fare, with the one exception.

Now we really need a Byzaninte food forum section to take off. With old family recipes, we may have the ultimate evangelization tool, food.

How about it everyone?

Father Anthony+, liking his lips

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
Re: Closing Threads #199603 08/10/05 02:38 AM
Gaudior Offline
Originally posted by incognitus:
Dear Gaudior - welcome to the Byzantine Inquisition! That may be presumptuous, since you've declared your proud membership before I even thought of so doing, but please accept my admiration!
Meanwhile, to eclairs. The inferior fillings are usually surrounded by inferior pastries. The sensible solution (apart from finding a real pastry chef prepared to sell us real eclairs) is to make our own - which isn't too difficult, fortunately.
The pastry is the same as for cream puffs, just shaped differently. The good filling is creme patissiere, for which there are several recipes on the Internet (any recipe which proposes using liquid vanilla, let alone vanillin, instead of honest-to-goodness vanilla beans should of course be junked at once). The two classic flavors are vanilla and chocolate; they're both good. And it's not hard to invent some more flavors (hmmm).
Then, if we are true purists, we shall drizzle some melted dark chocolate (the best available, of course) on top of the finished eclair, let it all set in the icebox, and enjoy it.
Bon appetit!

Incognitus the Inquisitive Inquisitor
May I return the compliment by admiring your new moniker?

Back to eclairs...don't even get me started on the lamentable state of eclair pastry! I shall endeavour to make the perfect eclair some time after August 28! It is almost as serious a problem as "crossants" have become lately! mad

Gaudior, who certainly feels we should take up Fr. Anthony's suggestion of a food forum for evangelization!
biggrin

Re: Closing Threads #199604 08/10/05 03:02 AM
doulos Offline
Yup, a whole section on food would be great. Those recipes that have "history", personal, ethnic or otherwise could be a wonderful thing to share. But more importantly, recipes for fasting would be a real help. My daughter is trying to learn to cook foods appropriate for fasting that are economical. I would also like a few recipes so I can feed her when she's fasting, since most of the time she has to do it all on her own. It would be nice to give her a break sometimes.
Michele

Re: Closing Threads #199605 08/10/05 06:17 AM
I
incognitus Offline
I
Dear Gaudior - best of luck with your perfect eclairs. We might perhaps adopt the following ditty for a professional anthem:

Oh, me name is Torquemada, I'm the leader of the band,
Although we're few in number, we're feared throughout the land.
We work on Moors and Hebrews, and kick men when they fall,
But when we work on heretics, we work the best of all!

Chorus:

Now the rack goes "squeak" while the thumb-screws creak and the whips, they flail away,
A Jesuit slams the Iron Maiden shut while I sit in the corner and pray.
The auto-da-fe is God's own way to purge sin from the land.
Another soul in heaven, for Torquemada's band!

Now, back to the recipes!

Incognitus the Inquisitive Inquisitor

Re: Closing Threads #199606 08/10/05 07:40 AM
O
Our Lady's slave Offline
O
Originally posted by Gaudior:
[QUOTE]May I return the compliment by admiring your new moniker?

Back to eclairs...don't even get me started on the lamentable state of eclair pastry! I shall endeavour to make the perfect eclair some time after August 28! It is almost as serious a problem as "crossants" have become lately! mad

Gaudior, who certainly feels we should take up Fr. Anthony's suggestion of a food forum for evangelization!
biggrin
YAY - a food forum - brilliant biggrin Come on Fr Anthony - it's down to you now - let's get one set up biggrin

Gaudior - I suspect the real problem with things like french bread and croissants [ the proper ones I might add wink ] is the flour - what we have on our side of the pond is just not the rite [ :p ] stuff.

BTW - the funniest experience I have had is trying to teach someone how to knead bread when they were hundreds of miles away - we did it by AIM - can you imagine the fun ?

OK you two Inquisitors and Fr Anthony - now get to work please on the Admin.

By the time I get back from France I expect to see it up and running and fast [ :p ] becoming the biggest Forum on the whole place, and I nominate I the II , Gaudior and Fr Anthony for the Mods biggrin

Re: Closing Threads #199607 08/10/05 11:41 AM
Alice Offline
Originally posted by Father Anthony:
Alice,

Unfortunately, that grandmother was from the Venetian Italian half. It was one of the only dishes she could make that were edible, and that made up for all other cooking attempts. It is a miracle that my father lived to be an adult, with cooking like that. She definitely broke all elusions about Italians and their cooking skills, save her fried potatoes. God grant her peace and repose, for she surely exposed the torments of hell in her cooking. Penance was done by all who ate her fare, with the one exception..

Father Anthony+, licking his lips
Now, now, Father Anthony....
SHAME on you! wink
LOL! biggrin

Alice

Re: Closing Threads #199608 08/10/05 02:30 PM
iconophile Offline
Speaking of closing threads, will someone please close this one?

Re: Closing Threads #199609 08/10/05 03:02 PM
O
Our Lady's slave Offline
O
Originally posted by iconophile:
Speaking of closing threads, will someone please close this one?
Why ?

Agreed is went off topic - but it is friendly - we are not at each other's throats - and it's light hearted .

Frankly I think something like this is badly needed after the incredbly heated threads we have had recently.

If you leave it alone Daniel - it will die a natural death - much the best way.

Anhelyna

Re: Closing Threads #199610 08/10/05 08:51 PM
A
Andrew J. Rubis Offline
A
The Portuguese baker that I frequented had a flat, twisted, and lightly sweetened bread (sprinkled with a coarse, granulated, unprocessed sugar) as if it were a stiffer form of a strudel, but without a filling.

The twistiness was critical and it ended up in the shape of a toungue. Mr. Lena, the baker, called it "Lengue di Sorgada" being translated: "The Toungue of the Mother in Law."

I used to buy it for my wife's mother biggrin because....uh...she's such a sweet old lady wink .

In Christ,
Andrew

Re: Closing Threads #199611 08/11/05 02:45 AM
Administrator Offline
John
John
Originally posted by Father Anthony:
Alice,

Unfortunately, that grandmother was from the Venetian Italian half. It was one of the only dishes she could make that were edible, and that made up for all other cooking attempts. It is a miracle that my father lived to be an adult, with cooking like that. She definitely broke all elusions about Italians and their cooking skills, save her fried potatoes. God grant her peace and repose, for she surely exposed the torments of hell in her cooking. Penance was done by all who ate her fare, with the one exception.

Now we really need a Byzaninte food forum section to take off. With old family recipes, we may have the ultimate evangelization tool, food.

How about it everyone?

No reasonable bribe towards the establishment of a food forum will be refused. Bribes will need to be shipped on dry ice (where appropriate) for next day delivery to my home address. If the bribes are sufficient a food forum will be established.

All recipes intended to be posted will need a full evaluation for quality of ingredients, skill of the baker or chef, and taste of the final result. Taste samples will need to be sent to each of the moderators (Father Anthony, Alice and myself). If we agree in a 3-0 that the submitted food is delicious the recipe may stay in the food forum. If the decision is only 2-1 we may require additional samples.

Please contact me via pm for the mailing address for bribes and samples.

Admin biggrin

Re: Closing Threads #199612 08/11/05 03:09 AM
A
Amadeus Offline
A
I suspected all along of the eventual casting away of our democratic principles in this Forum.

And starting with a triumvirate at that! eek How autocratic this is! wink

Let the majority partake of the tasting and decide on the sweetest outcome!

Our dear Admin and Mods: have you forgotten "vox populi . . .?" :p

Amadeus Augustus Caesar

Re: Closing Threads #199613 08/11/05 06:13 AM
Berean Offline
Originally posted by Administrator:

No reasonable bribe towards the establishment of a food forum will be refused. Bribes will need to be shipped on dry ice (where appropriate) for next day delivery to my home address. If the bribes are sufficient a food forum will be established.

All recipes intended to be posted will need a full evaluation for quality of ingredients, skill of the baker or chef, and taste of the final result. Taste samples will need to be sent to each of the moderators (Father Anthony, Alice and myself). If we agree in a 3-0 that the submitted food is delicious the recipe may stay in the food forum. If the decision is only 2-1 we may require additional samples.

Please contact me via pm for the mailing address for bribes and samples.

Admin biggrin
I suggest that an outsider, perhaps someone like a Baptist, be appointed as European taster and bribe accepter for this proposal. smile I can assure admin that he can trust my tastes in this one area at least.

"...that through patience, and comfort of the scriptures, you might have hope"Romans 15v4
Re: Closing Threads #199614 08/11/05 06:38 AM
Pani Rose Offline
Humm,

Roger you have us at a disadvantage here. You can run to the mother countries and compare biggrin Now that could be good and bad :rolleyes: Our cooking could either be really really good or humm, well lets just say it would be really really good :p Then you could tell everyone what good cooks we are over there eek biggrin So i guess that could work our really really good cool

Pani Rose

Re: Closing Threads #199615 08/11/05 06:41 AM
Berean Offline
No matter what it would be good for me, except for putting the weight back on that I have lost over the last few months.

But sacrifice is part of our faith, and I suppose I could be willing to sacrifce for my new friends here wink .

"...that through patience, and comfort of the scriptures, you might have hope"Romans 15v4
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2019 (Forum 1998-2019). All rights reserved.