The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (San Nicolas), 314 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Sorry for my memory problem here, but I cannot recall which monastery puts out icons which are extremely 'questionable' in nature which you all have discussed. Someone said not to buy them ...
I want to know the name of it, so that I will not buy nor recommend any of these by mistake ... what's the name of this place?
thanks ...
c of s
smile

I think the monastery is called the Light of Christ Monastery in Borrego Springs, CA. Icons from there are referred to as Monastery Icons.

Here's a link so you can take a look for yourself and make your own judgements.

www.monasteryicons.com/ [monasteryicons.com]

God bless,
John

Dear Friends,

I guess I'll have to tell the pastors who stock their items what a terrible mistake they are making . . .

That is no small feat since one or two of these believe they NEVER make mistakes smile

Their icons of western saints are very good and since I don't know of anywhere else to get some of them, why not? Just get a priest to bless them, something that should be done with any icon, if someone entertains any doubts.

What is the difference for an Eastern Catholic between buying an icon from this place or buying one from an Orthodox group, like Holy Transfiguration, that doesn't always have kind things to say about us "uniates?"

Also, their prayer beads are quite beautiful and very "handy" to use.

Oops, I guess I've brought on an excommunication on myself . . .inadvertently of course.

Just give me sixty days to think it over before repenting.

Alex

N
N
Alex,

Te ego absolvo +

wink

Don

N
N
Although, as Alex says, these icons may not be to everyone's taste, I like them. When I had my chapel and was cramped for space, I used several of them in my chapel and everyone commented on how beautiful they were. I also have given them frequently as gifts and there were treasured by the ones who received them. As for the place in which they are made...leave that to God, have them blessed and venerate them with a clear conscience. It is the person depicted that is venerated, not the hands that made the image after all. Keep some perspective folks. Don

I, too, have several icons from Monastery Icons in my home. I love the deep, brilliant colors.

Khrystyna

Hello:

Here's a link so you can take a look for yourself and make your own judgements.
I am completely lost.

What is wrong with these icons? They are SUPERB!

Shalom,
Memo.

Dear Friends,

After hearing about what some Orthodox had to say about these icons and the monastery in which they are produced (they are the same Orthodox who hold all "uniates" in the lowest of regard as well), I called the monastery up and asked them about a few issues.

We should follow Don's advice and just have them blessed.

I know a number of Roman Catholics who like the iconic versions of western devotional themes in some of their icons and use them.

My rule of thumb is if an icon (or statue) is inspiring, what is wrong?

This monastery has adopted culturally to certain Hindu traditions of India, but so have Catholics living in India and Assyrians too.

Their prayer beads are done in the Hindu/Buddhist tradition, but such beads are used by Christian monks and nuns in India as well.

And they are beautiful and inscribed with a Cross.

Alex

Bless me a sinner, Father Don!

Thanks for the absolution!

Alex

biggrin biggrin biggrin
Alex,

I already hear the sounds of hordes of Roman Catholics petitioning for your instant canonization! Thank you!

Khrystyna

John
John
Alex wrote:
There is wisdom in Alex�s statement. The difference here is that icons that are not written as prayer are not icons and show it. I remember years ago the pastor of a local Byzantine Catholic parish sent an icon print of the Nativity of Christ to Korea to be painted as a five foot tall, three panel icon to be displayed in his church. The copy was perfect to the tinest detail but it lacked the grace and life that exists in a real icon. It was a painting, nothing more. There are those prayerful people who can, with just one glance, immediately tell if an icon or statue is a vessel of prayer. I suspect that Alex is one of these people. He can tell just by looking at it.

Admin

Dear Administrator,

Well, I don't know if I can . . . wink

There are icons that are a definite turn-off, even when they are not written by "Gnostic Orthodox" smile .

Personally, I find the Greek style of Icon-writing to be too stern for my passionate Slavic blood (with a good dose of Romanian thrown in).

The Slavic icon style with its "heart-rending" inspiration leads us to prayer with tears as our heart is touched.

The Jesus Prayer spirituality is very much like that too.

There is a Grotto of "Our Lady of Huronia" at the Martyrs' Shrine at Midland, Ontario.

It is a simple white statue, but when you approach it, you want to fall on your knees in prayer before it.

Whatever works!

Alex

Dear Krystyna,

As long as they do an icon, rather than a statue . . . smile smile

May God forgive me a sinner for all the sins of my life, in what I have done and what I have failed to do, and grant me sufficient time for repentance!

You reduce me to tears!

That's good . . .

Alex

I wholeheartedly agree with Don, especially as we have been the recipient of several of his nice icons biggrin

I have seen some icons from some "canonical" sources that are not as efficacious as some of those from this monastery (I always get comments about the Mary Magdelene icon, Don smile )

OP Offline
Perhaps I shouldn't apologize for my poor memory regarding this, for I find all of your comments most enlightening!
I just couldn't recall what I had read, previously, only that it wasn't favorable. I thought it was on this web site, but I wonder if it were another? It was some months ago. (I used to look at a couple of other sites but now I stick to this one! smile )
Anyway, I haven't looked at the link yet as I just got in from work but will do so later.
Thanks again and if you all have more to say, just keep on going ...!

Yours
in the Communion of Saints ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.