The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
OP Offline
I
Dear Brethren in Christ,

I would appreciate everyones' (Yes everyone, even you Latinizers with no sense of humor)help and prayers regarding an incident/great opportunity that occured today.

Here is the story. As I was walking across campus between classes today, there were 2 men holding large 7 foot signs with the aid of "flag holding harnesses." These signs basically said stuff like "You make me sick:" with a bunch of stuff below like "Jews from the Synagogue of Satan, Homosexual Child Molesters, Skinny Necked weak kneed men, Arminian Theologians, Fornicators, witches (even had a picture of a witch on a broom), unruly women, Muslims, Romanists eek , and lots of other super sin sinners (Although what they consider to be Romanists are certainly sinners but not because they are "Romanists." The other side of the sign might say something like Believe in Jesus the word Bible a dozen times and then John 3:18. These men were not affiliated with any particular Protestant Church Church.

I listened/observed this style of confrontational Evangelism for probably about an hour. There was lots of cussing at the Evangelists that dared to condemn sin. eek smile Then I began talking to one of the men. Meanwhile a girl "with an agenda" began asking him questions alluding that there was and is a great conspiracy of men to hold women in subserviant positions. Part of this elaborate plot is the "fact that men wrote the Bible and deleted St. Mary Magdalene to downplay her role(s)."

I began attempting to explain to her that the Bible was not written by men, but rather the Holy Spirit using Men to Pen his words. Likewise, Mary Magdelene was not deleted/left out of the Bible but rather not all of Church Tradition is recorded in the Bible. Also the Catholic and Orthodox Churches recall her life and struggles in Sacred Tradition. Even that she was put on a boat set about to drift and landed in France, etc. She is celebrated on our Ecclesial Calendar and our Churches have Icons and Stained Glass Windows of her. As she said she was late to be somewhere, I managed to get her e-mail address (please pray that it is valid), promising to send her more information on St. Mary Magdalene. She and her friend, were also supposedly unaware that the Apostles were Bishops. They thought they were Missionaries. confused

Please help provide me with information on St. Mary Magdalene and Proof of Divine Authorship of the Bible.

Please Pray for these souls.

St. Mary Magdalene Pray for Us!

Wow - talk about your "power evengelism", eh? It reminds me of that scene from "Mississippi Burning" when the KKK was being interviewed by the press - "We don't like Jews, Papists, blah blah blah..." I actuallly had a debate one time with a "Christian" group who argued (and had literature to "support" their views - hey, if it's in print, it must be true, right?!?) that blacks were inferior to whites. They were not interested in spreading Christianity, just supporting their bigotry (which was their true religion) under the guise of theological language. Granted some of the things the group you mentioned opposes we (Orthodox and Catholic) would oppose as well, but thankfully not in the same way! Those methods only tend to attract like-minded people, not those who may be trapped by some of the sins they mentioned (especially all those "unruly women"!!! wink ) Can you see the apostles evangelizing that way? "Down with Romanists" would take on a whole new meaning in that context wouldn't it?!?

Here are some things I came across in an initial Google search. Hope that helps...

God bless!

Gordo

H
Orthodox Catholic Toddler
H
It seems like these girls may have been influenced by the 'DaVinci Code', otherwise I wouldn't know how they keyed in on Holy Mary of Magdala.

At present they may be thinking the Protestant fundamentalists represent traditional Christianity. Should they begin to identify Catholicism/Orthodoxy as traditional Christianity it could be equally difficult a task to penetrate the barriers they may have set up in their thinking. To some of these types of individuals traditional Christianity is dominated by a conspiracy of men.

One must be very sensitive to their understanding/misunderstandings.

+T+
Michael

L
L
Arminian theologians?! LOL. The Methodist tradition is one of the larger Protestant churches that is Arminian instead of Calvinist or otherwise in it's ecclesiology.

I wonder if they know that.

Anyway, I'd choose Arminian theology over Calvinism any day of the week since it's much closer to what the Catholic Church teaches.

InCog,

Good story and I hope your evangelization efforts will work better than those poor men.

Logos Teen

H
H
Originally posted by Teen Of The Incarnate Logos:
Arminian theologians?! LOL. The Methodist tradition is one of the larger Protestant churches that is Arminian instead of Calvinist or otherwise in it's ecclesiology.

I wonder if they know that.

Anyway, I'd choose Arminian theology over Calvinism any day of the week since it's much closer to what the Catholic Church teaches.

InCog,

Good story and I hope your evangelization efforts will work better than those poor men.

Logos Teen
Many Calvinist types equate Arminian theology with the backdoor to Rome biggrin A traditional poison in the protestant camp.

I agree with you, and I think those people are really on the fringe. Too bad they aren't paying attention to the "Publican and the Pharisee", they are very judgmental. There has been a group going around to campuses (this may be them) that even had pictures of JP II of blessed memory and the caption stating that he is now in hell. SICK-O

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.