The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Ray S. Offline OP
OP Offline
The Indian Catholic [theindiancatholic.com] is reporting:
December 30,2006
Muslims in Spain want worship at Cathedral

The Islamic Council of Spain has sent a letter to Pope Benedict XVI demanding that Muslims be allowed formal prayer at a Catholic cathedral in Cordoba, a city in Andaluc�a, southern Spain.

The leaders of the Muslim community of Spain have written a letter to Pope Benedict XVI demanding that their co-religionists be allowed to conduct formal prayer services at a Catholic church in Cordoba.

Bishop Juan Jos� Asencio of Cordoba rejected the demand saying that such a move �would not contribute to peaceful coexistence between the different creeds� and that it would �merely generate confusion among the faithful and give way to indifferentism as to religion.�

The church in question, sometimes called the Cathedral-mosque of Cordoba, was indeed once a mosque for several centuries after the Muslim invasion of the 8th Century AD. After the Catholic Spaniards returned to the area in the 1200s, they found a mosque superimposed on what had once been a Visigoth Spanish church. C�rdoba was a center of Islamic culture and power that rivaled even Damascus and was to color Spanish culture and language indelibly. Apologists for Islam and the Islamo-Moorish occupation of much of Spain during the Middle Ages frequently hark back to a mythical time of tolerance between the Catholic, Jewish, and Islamic faiths and when great cultural achievements were notable.

The cathedral is one of the most splendid works of architecture in Europe: thousands of visitors come each year to see the iconic Moorish arches and columns in its interior. Once the Catholic Spanish returned, a small church was built within the walls of the former mosque and has been used for Catholic worship for more than 700 years.

Bishop Asencio has proclaimed his respect for Muslims living within the midst of modern Spain. While he also �favors� the dialogue between the two faiths that is promoted by the Pope, he averred that joint usage of the church �would not contribute to the said dialogue.� While noting the repeated insistence on the part of �Spanish converts to Islam� for joint Christian/Muslim usage of the cathedral, the prelate noted that the church�s deanery �holds legitimate legal title to the Cathedral for its sole use by the Catholic Church"...

There is more to the story, please follow the link.

My thoughts:
Sure they can worship at the Cathedral as soon as Christians can worship in Saudi Arabia, Hagia Sophia, etc...

Well no!

Once they hold a service in a Church or building, don't they consider it a mosque?

No, they can't worship in our Cathedrals!

I'm sorry, but all I can think of is "people in hell want ice water"

Alexandr

Ray S. Offline OP
OP Offline
lol!

Neither should they for they desecrate holy places by false worship. the altar becomes profaned.
Stephanos I

E
E
Originally Posted by Stephanos I
Neither should they for they desecrate holy places by false worship. the altar becomes profaned.
Stephanos I

You mean like how the Anglicans celebrated, oops, I mean simulated 'Mass' at the High Altar at Santa Sabina in Rome last month

Last edited by Edward Yong; 01/01/07 10:39 AM.
H
Administrator
Administrator
H
Perhaps their request will have more weight, when they offer to give Hagia Sophia back to Orthodox Christian worship, and offer to share the Templum Domini (the Dome of the Rock?) in Jerusalem?

I would think that none of that is likely in the near future.

the unworthy,
Elias

The Islamic Council of Spain has sent a letter to Pope Benedict XVI demanding

All I can say is, "What arrogance!!" It seems another example of militant Islam's claims that once a place is ruled by Moslems or a place is converted for Moslem worship it remains that way forever and if it ceases to be that way then Moslems have the duty to fight to the death to recover it.

I have to agree with those who have posted concerning Saudi Arabia and Hagia Sophia. If and when Christians can openly worship in countries now dominated by Moslems, then Christians can consider REQUESTS. But DEMANDS should always be met with a firm NO.

In Christ,

BOB

I don't know if this is off topic or not but when I vistied Toledo, Spain two years ago they took us to a "church" that at one time in the middle ages was a mosque, a synagogue, and a Church all at once. I can see where some musilms would think that they have a right to worship there because the Mezquita was once a mosque but it isn't anymore. My fellow posters are correct in saying that perhaps they should offer the Hagia Sophia in return and we would take them more seriously.

-Katie g

L
L

Spain is in desperate need of Ferdinand and Isabella again.

Lawrence,

I couldn't agree with you more. It wasn't called the Golden Age for nothing.

B
B
We are all in need of Ferdinand and Isabella again - but maybe this time make them Eastern Christians. smile

I
I
They are welcome to have formal worship now......
as Catholics. smile

Last edited by InCogNeat3's; 01/01/07 09:30 PM.
I stand in oppostion to such practices. I think it was an near abomination in Assisi several years ago. Such practices profane Christian altars.
Stephanos I

Originally Posted by Lawrence
Spain is in desperate need of Ferdinand and Isabella again.

As is almost all of Western Europe.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.