The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
OP Offline
W
If there was one book you wish all Eastern Catholics would read, what book would that be? Why?

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
The Bible!

A Voice from the Byzantine East. Elias Zoghby.

W
OP Offline
W
OK... Bible excluded. smile Thanks so far!

P
PrJ Offline
P
This is too hard a question -- it depends on the reader wink

But if I had to choose one, it would be:

Crisis and Reform: The Kyivan Metropolitanate, the Patriarchate of Constantinople, and the Genesis of the Union of Brest (Harvard Series in Ukrainian Studies) (Paperback)
by Borys Gudziak

Well, since PrJ took one of my choices...and there are soooo many more...I would say The Face of God by Archbishop Joseph Raya. Why? First of all it is the best introduction of writings of a saint of our time, Archbishop Joseph; more importantly the entire book is an excellent introduction to Byzantine spirituality. It is a marvellous treatise about the love of God from an incredible and holy Greek Catholic archbishop who lived what he talks about. And I will never forget the immense warmth and wonder I experienced reading that book which was the very first I read on Byzantine spirituality.

Originally Posted by Diak
Well, since PrJ took one of my choices...and there are soooo many more...I would say The Face of God by Archbishop Joseph Raya. Why? First of all it is the best introduction of writings of a saint of our time, Archbishop Joseph; more importantly the entire book is an excellent introduction to Byzantine spirituality. It is a marvellous treatise about the love of God from an incredible and holy Greek Catholic archbishop who lived what he talks about. And I will never forget the immense warmth and wonder I experienced reading that book which was the very first I read on Byzantine spirituality.

DITTO!

Gordo

B
B
All of the books recommended are good.

I recommend Father Serge Keleher's recent book:

Title: Studies on the Byzantine Liturgy � 1 The Draft Translation: A Response to the Proposed Recasting of the Byzantine-Ruthenian Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom

Stauropegion Press
P.O. Box 11096
Pittsburgh, PA 15237-9998

Cost: $20 + $4 per book shipping & handling.

This book is a commentary on the proposed Revised Divine Liturgy according to the 12 October 2004 �final version�.

Since this book is relevant to the current discussion on the proposed revision of the Divine Liturgy I am creating this thread as a placeholder for specific discussions of the book.
The book is worth it just for the quotes from Pope Benedict XVI. It gives a good understanding of the Holy Father's insight on authentic vs inauthentic liturgical renewal. Father Keleher's review of the Recasted Ruthenian Divine Liturgy is presented with great sobriety and scholarship. It's even worth it just for the quantity of information given in the footnotes!

I know some will say that other Eastern Catholics won't be interested. I think they should read it. When I finished the book I felt proud of our Byzantine Liturgy. I also felt embarrassed at what we have done to it.

K
K
Kallistos Ware: The Orthodox Way.
About The Way - but certainly not the Opus Dei one...

N
N
"...but certainly not the Opus Dei one.." ???? I don't understand that remark. Saint Josemaria Escriva's books - The Way, The Furrow and The Forge, not to mention "Christ is Passing By" are remarkable and wonderful books.

W
OP Offline
W
Please keep up the discussion! I haven't wanted to post for fear that the discussion would stop when I did. I've been taking note of each of the responses and am sure others will find them useful as well.

Yes, I feel I must jump in on this one! Forgive me for digressing from the original topic of recommended Eastern Catholic books, but I, too, will defend Saint Josemaria's books and ALL his writings ... Never have I felt the personal touch of a teacher of the faith such as he... I invite all those who have never read his writings to pick one of them up (or visit the website www.josemariaescriva.info [josemariaescriva.info] )to experience his down-to-earth, practical wisdom for each of us to live our calling from God - be we Eastern or Latin Rite Catholics! ... (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!)

Last edited by Michael B; 07/30/07 11:54 PM. Reason: removed parenthesis at end of link.
Dear Charitina,

I think that something is wrong with the link. I think that it is the parantheses at the end of the highighted web address. I tried typing it in without the end parentheses and it worked.

Alice

+Archbishop Joseph Raya: The Eyes of the Gospel

An excellent book on what we believe and why in plain simple language biggrin IT was his first book.

I was just checking to find the book on amazon and found they had exerted from it on melkite.org
http://www.melkite.org/Passage.html#Introduction

Thanks for this discussion.

I am looking for books that are very basic -- something that explains what Byzantine Catholic and/or Orthodox Chritians believe. I have Timothy Ware's book, "The Orthodox Church," which is in this vein -- sort of like a primer. I was hoping to get some recommendations for books that are more focused on the theology and belief systems of the Eastern Rite churches.

Thanks

Blessings,

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.