The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Cathy Whittington, BinghamtonNYRosic, wamj2008, qmitchell, Adam54
5520 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Fr. Al), 72 guests, and 363 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Portable Icon Screen
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,570
Posts410,851
Members5,520
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New Romanian Orthodox Monastery #28188
08/05/06 09:15 AM
08/05/06 09:15 AM
New York
Father Anthony Offline OP

Administrator
Father Anthony  Offline OP

Administrator
New York
This link was just sent me. It is about the formation of a new Romanian Orthodox Monastery in southern Ontario. It is under the "patriarchal" Romanians.

Holy Cross Monastery

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
Re: New Romanian Orthodox Monastery #28189
08/05/06 11:24 AM
08/05/06 11:24 AM
West Coast
Stephanos I Offline
Stephanos I  Offline
West Coast
Intersting site! Romanian bein a romance language I was surprised to see that with latin, french and spanish I was able to get the gist of what was written.
Stephanos I
PS Too bad life is so short would have been nice to learn Roamnian and more about everything.
But then again we can learn every day no?

Re: New Romanian Orthodox Monastery #28190
08/05/06 01:08 PM
08/05/06 01:08 PM
Lansford, PA
70x7 Offline
70x7  Offline
Lansford, PA
Father Anthony,
Thank you for sharing the link! I like the fact that they are sharing worship space with the Ukrainian Catholics. By the grace of God, we can get along with each other. :-)

Ray
http://www.theologyincolor.com/ray/gallery.html

Re: New Romanian Orthodox Monastery #28191
08/05/06 01:32 PM
08/05/06 01:32 PM
The Most Corrupt State
Dr. Eric Offline
Catholic Gyoza
Dr. Eric  Offline
Catholic Gyoza
The Most Corrupt State
This is great news!

I know that there were some who were looking for Typicons, there is one on the website.

What is a Typicon by the way?

Re: New Romanian Orthodox Monastery #28192
08/07/06 04:03 AM
08/07/06 04:03 AM
Ѳулκαндρα
KO63AP Offline
KO63AP  Offline
Ѳулκαндρα
Originally posted by Dr. Eric:
This is great news!

I know that there were some who were looking for Typicons, there is one on the website.

What is a Typicon by the way?
Look here for a slightly more generic definition of a Typicon. Within a monastery, the Typicon is the community's 'by-laws' and outlines how the community functions.

Re: New Romanian Orthodox Monastery #28193
08/07/06 04:31 PM
08/07/06 04:31 PM
USA
Wondering Offline
Wondering  Offline
USA
From the monastery's typicon:

The Fourth ecumenical Council of Chalcedon established canons for the inter-relationship of the Monastery and the rest of the Church. Therefore, the Heirarch has the right of canonical visitation, to impart the customary blessings when called for, and to ordain monks presented to him for scared orders.

confused :p biggrin

Re: New Romanian Orthodox Monastery #28194
08/20/06 06:24 PM
08/20/06 06:24 PM
Canada
M
Miller Offline
Miller  Offline
M
Canada
Dear Friends,

The web site is misleading. There is not a monastery; they are planning to build or organize a monastery in the future.

Presently, the monk-priest is living in an apartment in St. Demetrius Ukrainian Catholic Seniors Residence, which is an apartment building of 250 apartments for independent seniors. There is also a nursing home, which is a seperate building.

The priest has very generously been given the use of the chapel as seen in the pictures on the web for 2 Sundays a month, the first and third Sundays a month. It is not as stated on the web a convent chapel, it is the chapel on the second floor of the seniors' residence. It presently does not have an iconostasis.

The priest is a former Roman Catholic, who was a Friar. He joined the Orthodox Church in 1987 (no jurisdiction is specified). In 2002, he was received into the Romanian Orthodox Church.

Re: New Romanian Orthodox Monastery #28195
08/21/06 02:02 AM
08/21/06 02:02 AM
Massachusetts
I
Irish Melkite Offline
Global Moderator
Irish Melkite  Offline
Global Moderator
I
Massachusetts
Originally posted by Miller:
The web site is misleading. There is not a monastery; they are planning to build or organize a monastery in the future.

Miller,

"Misleading" has a tone about it that suggests a deliberate intent to deceive. In fairness to Archimandrite Nicolas, the website makes very clear that the monastery itself is in the planning stages. For example,

A charitable registration is being pursued, and in the near future we will start looking for a site where the monastery and the other adjacent buildings will be built (the cells for the monks, a senior residence
for retired persons, a conference centre, etc).
Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Re: New Romanian Orthodox Monastery #28196
08/21/06 02:38 AM
08/21/06 02:38 AM
Canada
M
Miller Offline
Miller  Offline
M
Canada
"Misleading" has a tone about it that suggests a deliberate intent to deceive. In fairness to Archimandrite Nicolas, the website makes very clear that the monastery itself is in the planning stages.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Yes, you have a valid point. I should have said could be open to misinterpretation.

The process of getting a Registered Charity Number from Canada Customs Revenue Canada is a lengthy one.

The following quote is from the web site:

The Holy Cross chapel (at St. Demetrius Residence) exists solely as the corner-stone foundation for the future Monastery. We need your financial support in order to continue having our bi-monthly services in Etobicoke until the Monastery becomes a reality.

Moments of joy in Christ spent in a monastic atmosphere, with our beloved Father Nicolas:

- - - - - -
You see, I find it odd that this chapel without an iconostasis was chosen as a place of worship. Also that there is only one monk. I don't see how one monk celebrating in a chapel without an iconostasis could present a "monastic atmosphere".

I know the Romanian Orthodox Church in Canada; the bishop could have requested another monk from Romania. Usually, a group of 2 or 3 monks would be sent to establish a monastery and would use one small room as a house chapel. In the inter-war period in Canada, during Lent a group of 2 to 3 monks would travel from spot to spot and celebrate services, especially on the isolated prairies.

There is a Serbian Orthodox Monastery in the Toronto area: Holy Transfiguration
Serbian O r t h o d o x M o n a s t e r y and a number of Greek Orthodox monasteries.

In any event I wish Fr. Nicholas only the best.

Re: New Romanian Orthodox Monastery [Re: Miller] #220969
01/23/07 12:05 PM
01/23/07 12:05 PM
Canada
M
Miller Offline
Miller  Offline
M
Canada
I have just been reading the web site of Holy Cross and found this:
Orthodox single men under the age of 40 who love the Lord and His Church are encouraged to prayerfully consider a vocation to monastic life with us and to communicate with
Archimandrite Nicolas at any time
to explore this possibility.

http://www.holycrossorthodoxmonastery.com/

I find this strange that there would be an age restriction. In the Slavic tradition, there are many cases of widowers entering the monastery to become monks.
In the monasteries I have visited I have noticed in the cemetaries there are monks who lived past 100 years old. Surely older men would be able to participate in the life of prayer of a monastery.
Also the proposed monastery is located in canada which provides free health care in case that would be a consideration.

Does anyone on this forum have any further information or thaoughts about restricting monastic entry to those under 40 years old?

Re: New Romanian Orthodox Monastery [Re: Miller] #220982
01/23/07 02:10 PM
01/23/07 02:10 PM
Ѳулκαндρα
KO63AP Offline
KO63AP  Offline
Ѳулκαндρα
This is just speculation...

It's a fact that we become more frail as we age. As this monastery is 'new', perhaps they have decided to accept only 'younger' novices for the time being, thereby reducing the short-term risk of having to care for seriously ill brothers.

I would assume that, over time, the age restriction would be lifted.

Re: New Romanian Orthodox Monastery [Re: KO63AP] #221024
01/23/07 05:43 PM
01/23/07 05:43 PM
Pennsylvania
H
Hieromonk Elias Offline
Administrator
Hieromonk Elias  Offline
Administrator
H
Pennsylvania
I am delighted to hear of the foundation of a new monastery. May the Lord God bless this monastery and its work, and bless the Church through their prayers.

I don't know what their reasoning might be... But, founding a new monastery is a very, very, difficult challenge. Perhaps they feel that while they are building a new foundation, and until they have established the regular life of the brotherhood, the trials might be too difficult for someone who is older?

Re: New Romanian Orthodox Monastery [Re: Hieromonk Elias] #221057
01/23/07 10:57 PM
01/23/07 10:57 PM
Canada
T
TonyM Offline
TonyM  Offline
T
Canada
Sounds like they are looking for space. Are the Ukrainian monks still working at the monastery in Orangeville (1 hour north of Toronto)? That is the perfect location for a monastery but it will cost a few million dollars.

Re: New Romanian Orthodox Monastery [Re: TonyM] #221061
01/23/07 11:11 PM
01/23/07 11:11 PM
Canada
T
TonyM Offline
TonyM  Offline
T
Canada
Does anyone know Fr. Nicholas' last name? If he was born and raised Roman Catholic, he is unlikely to be Romanian.

Re: New Romanian Orthodox Monastery [Re: TonyM] #221094
01/24/07 02:15 AM
01/24/07 02:15 AM
Chicago
Michael_Thoma Offline
Michael_Thoma  Offline
Chicago
Very Rev. Archmandrite Nicolas Giroux
http://www.arcweb.ca/ro/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=327

THE ORTHODOX MONASTERY 'HOLY CROSS'
MANASTIREA ORTODOXA 'SF. CRUCE'

Cu mare bucurie crestineasca va anuntam
ca in urma cu cateva luni a fost demarata
fondarea unei
noi manastiri ortodoxe
in Ontario,
care va fi situata
in preajma orasului Toronto
si va functiona sub omoforul
Inalt Preasfintitului Arhiepiscop
Nicolae
al Americii si Canadei.

In inima proiectului
(atat la propriu cat si la figurat) se afla
Parintele Arhimandrit
Nicolas (Giroux),
care a primit aceasta sfanta misiune
de la Inalt Preasfintitul Arhiepiscop Nicolae.
Manastirea va fi construita si va functiona
dupa canoanele arhitectonice, ecleziastice
si liturgice ale Bisericii Ortodoxe.
Ea va fi deschisa tuturor crestinilor ortodocsi,
indiferent de originea lor etnica.

Actele pentru infiintarea juridica a manastirii au fost deja intocmite, iar in viitorul apropiat se va incepe cautarea unui loc suficient de mare si nu prea indepartat de Toronto unde sa fie ridicata manastirea si celelalte cladiri aferente ei
( chiliile monahilor, o resedinta pentru persoanele in varsta care doresc sa se retraga acolo la pensie, o sala de conferinte, etc ).

Pentru ca proiectul acestei manastiri
sa prinda viata este nevoie de sprijinul
tuturor credinciosilor doritori a participa
la crearea unui loc crestin
de rugaciune si reculegere.

P e n t r u i n f o r m a t i i s u p l i m e n t a r e :

Parintele Nicolas
Telefon: (416)249-3878
e-mail : nicolas_76@sympatico.ca

Nicolae si Mariana Gavriliu
Telefon (905)602-9430
e-mail : 2imago@rogers.com

It is our greatest joy to announce you
that a few months ago the project
of a new
Orthodox monastery
in Ontario
was initiated. The monastery will be situated in the Greater Toronto Area and will function under the omophorion of
His Eminence Archbishop
Nicolae
of America and Canada.

At the heart of the project of the future monastery is
Schema-Archmandrite
Nicolas ( Giroux ),
who received this holy mission from His Eminence Archbishop Nicolae.
The monastery will be built and will function according to the architectural, ecclesiastical and liturgical rules of the Orthodox Church. It will be open to all Orthodox Christians, regardless of their ethnic origin.

A charitable registration is being pursued,
and in the near future we will start looking
for a site where the monastery and the other adjacent buildings will be built
( the cells for the monks, a senior residence
for retired persons, a conference centre, etc ).

In order to help this cherished project
come to life, all Orthodox Christians
are asked to unite and help,
as the monastery will be a place to serve and worship God for us all.

F o r i n f o r m a t i o n p l e a s e c o n t a c t :

Father Nicolas
Telephone (416)249-3878
e-mail : nicolas_76@sympatico.ca

Nicolae & Mariana Gavriliu
Telefon (905)602-9430
e-mail : 2imago@rogers.com

Last edited by Michael_Thoma; 01/24/07 02:17 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Father Anthony 

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2018. All rights reserved.