The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ascending the Heights is a wonderful guide to John Climacus.

So Van Nuys gains a new married priest? Or did he go elsewhere?
I wonder what Liturgy he will use? (Red book)? Saturday vespers?

Veddy interesting...

Etnick #218915 01/07/07 02:11 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Without anything official to go by, except for the witness of one person, I would suggest that when something official is posted regarding Father John Mack, then this matter continue to be discussed. I have done an extensive search over the evening, and nothing official from either Catholic or Orthodox sources can collaborate this. I have already some messages of concern that this thread could be promoting something that could be harmful for Fr Mack and his ministry if unfounded or premature. Until it is collaborated by something official, I think that this topic should be closed until such time.

When and if something official is published by a Church source, I will gladly reopen this thread by having that poster contact me via PM with this thread's URL for reference.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+
Administrator

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
D
Jessup B.C. Deacon
Jessup B.C. Deacon
D
The Jan. 21, 2007 hard copy version of Horizons , the official newspaper of the Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Parma confirms that Fr. John Mack of Lawrence, Kansas, has been accepted as a priest of that Eparchy by Bishop John. I have no other info as to details. I know that Fr. John had been a convert to the Antiochian Orthodox Church from Evangelical Christianity. A friend tells me that he had recently been serving in a Bulgarian jurisdiction. I am also told that he will not be pastoring a parish, but will serve as a "supply priest", allowing him to continue in academia. I know that he had written a very good book on marriage. This book is used by a lot of our clergy in marriage preparation settings. If anyone has more detailed info, please post it.

In Christ,
Dn. Robert

D
Jessup B.C. Deacon
Jessup B.C. Deacon
D
Are there any Parma Eparchy people with more info on this item? A lot of my local contacts (N.E. Pa. & N.J.)do not have a lot of info to share.

Dn. Robert

Last edited by Jessup B.C. Deacon; 01/30/07 04:14 PM.
Fr. Deacon Robert,

It has come to my attention that Fr. John wishes to keep his transfer low key. We know he has been accepted as a priest by Bishop John and I don't think anything more need be said or asked other than prayers for Fr. John as he begins his ministry in our Metropolia.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
D
Jessup B.C. Deacon
Jessup B.C. Deacon
D
Dn. Lance,

We definitely must honor his wishes, and not make a "big splash", and we must offer prayerful support. But, given that his acceptance is a matter of public knowledge, having been announced in the Eparchial newspaper, I do not think that I am "out of line" in stating that this is a positive development for the Parma Eparchy. This priest has a lot to "bring to the table". Let's hope and pray for the best.

In Christ,
Dn. Robert

Father Deacon, he was received last September into the Church (I was a witness so I can say this factually).

As one may appreciate this is not an easy thing for priest or family, and anything on this list relating to this subject should come from Fr. John and no one else.

I do know Fr. John and his family definitely want to avoid any controversy or triumphantalism. This has already come up once on this Forum as well as Catholic Answers - as I stated on both of those occasions we should respect any desire of Fr. John and his family to "lay low" for a while.

I request the administrators allow Fr. John a chance to respond himself today, if he desires, but to close the thread afterwards in respect for Fr. John and his family.

P
PrJ Offline
P
Since my name has been mentioned, let me explain.

My family and I struggled for many years trying to understand the full implications of our commitment to the Gospel. Our decision to enter into communion with the Pope of Rome was not made in haste but only after a long and intense internal (and familial) debate. We had to struggle with our own deeply sectarian (us versus them) perspective that we brought with us into Orthodoxy from our Protestant roots. (Let me repeat with emphasis: this sectarian attitude was brought by us into Orthodoxy; I do not believe that it is "natural" to Orthodoxy.) We finally realized that the only way we could put our own sectarianism to death was to enter into communion with the Apostolic Church of the West while continuing our spiritual journey within the Eastern/Orthodox spiritual and sacramental traditions.

This being said, it would cause intense and deep sorrow should our journey out of sectarianism be used by any one in a sectarian way.

Sincerely,

Fr John Mack

D
Jessup B.C. Deacon
Jessup B.C. Deacon
D
Dear Fr. John,

My thread was not intended to be, in any way, triumphalistic. I, myself, and my family members, have maintained close ties with local Orthodox Christians (clergy and laity) in N.E. Penna. I posted the above (1.) for informational purposes, and (2.) to comment upon my view that your addition to the presbyteral ranks of the Eparchy of Parma is a positive for that Eparchy. No doubt you have already noted that this board contains a good mixture of Orthodox, Eastern Catholic, Roman Catholic, and other posters all of whom, for the most part, maintain friendly, or at least, civil, relationships. I would like to welcome you to our Metropolia. I am sure that you have much which you can teach us. As I mentioned above, a lot of our clergy have been using your book on marriage for sacramental preparation purposes. You and your family are in my prayers.

In Christ,
Deacon Robert Behrens
Holy Ghost Byzantine Catholic Church
Jessup, Pa.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.