The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
ByzKat Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Glory to Jesus Christ!

The Divine Liturgies of our holy fathers John Chrysostom and Basil the Great (the people's service book promulgated on January 6, 2007) and the Cantor's Companion that accompanies it are now available in PDF form on the Publications page [metropolitancantorinstitute.org] of the Metropolitan Cantor Institute web site.

The PDF of the complete service book includes bookmarks for each section; expand the bookmarks tab in Adobe Reader to see them. I plan to add links shortly to the PDFs that point to the recorded examples of each piece of notated music. If you have any other recommendations for the PDF formatting, please drop me a note at ByzKat@stny.rr.com.

Yours in Christ,
Jeff Mierzejewski

Dear Jeff,

The book is beautiful, apart from the translation difficulties. Good work.

And, since it is in electronic format, it will be easy to fix!

J
J
"And, since it is in electronic format, it will be easy to fix!"

I am sincerely hoping that you were kidding when you posted this, since the translation of the Divine Liturgies and the music thereof are all under copyright.

Prof. J. Michael Thompson
Byzantine Catholic Seminary
Pittsburgh, PA

B
ByzKat Offline OP
OP Offline
B
*shrug* It's also true that, should the Liturgical Commission rethink any of the translation decisions, the use of electronic publishing should make such changes much easier.

Yours in Christ,
Jeff

O
O
ummm

If the Liturgical Commission rethink any of the translation decisions - surely it will have to be approved by Rome again .

H
Orthodox Catholic Toddler
Orthodox Catholic Toddler
H
* sigh *

Jeff,

Thank you for posting the link for the PDF files, these files are very helpful for study and a real service of the Metropolitan Cantor Institute.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
fr. Jim

Thanks Jeff-

Now we can don't have to rely on rumors, but can actually see the real thing and any problems it may or may not have.

Originally Posted by Professor J. Michael Thompson
"And, since it is in electronic format, it will be easy to fix!"

I am sincerely hoping that you were kidding when you posted this, since the translation of the Divine Liturgies and the music thereof are all under copyright.

Prof. J. Michael Thompson
Byzantine Catholic Seminary
Pittsburgh, PA

---

I think P-A was noting that when the BCC is ready to recover more of our authentic liturgical traditions, the electronic format will enable a less arduous republishing process.

Dear Professor,

I sincerely hope you are kidding.

As you know, I object to many things about this new revised Liturgy (the inclusive language, the abbreviations, the invented and contrived rubrics, etc. etc.)

But more than any of that, I object to the draconian language of the promulgation letter, and to the intimidation that seems to be accompanying it. I object to veiled and not so veiled threats to the law.

It is not the way to encourage people, or win friends for the revisionists's cause.

Frankly, it leaves me with a very bad feeling.

Nick

L
lm Offline
L
On the site listed at the beginning of the thread, I note that in the Bridegroom matins in the very beginning and in the Lesser Doxology we sing: "on earth peace good will among men." However, in the Sunday Matins it is "and to people on earth, peace and goodwill."

What is the reason for the difference in translation? Do the original texts reflect the difference in translation? If there is no difference in the original texts, then what is the reason for the difference in translation?

B
ByzKat Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Dear lm,

After the first edition of the MCI Sunday Matins book, and Bridegroom Matins, were completed, the Intereparchial Liturgical Commission concluded their translation of the Great Doxology. It has been the MCI procedure to use the official translation where one is available, and otherwise to use the best translation which is customary in the Metropolia; if there is none, we use the best available translation from a reliable source. Hence, while I prefer the previous opening text, I would expect that the new text will be used in MCI publications until/unless the Liturgical Commission revises it, or the hierarchs order otherwise.

The second edition of the Sunday Matins book was not revised because of the translation change, however; it came about in order to use the proper (particular) irmos melodies for the katavasia, to correct a number of errors in the first edition, to add some parts of Matins omitted in the Basilian Matins book, and to add additional texts for the Great Fast (the penitential stichera and "By the waters of Babylon."

Yours in Christ,
Jeff Mierzejewski

P.S. For some feasts, the Basilian texts at Matins do not AT ALL fit the corresponding irmos melody; I have sometimes challenged cantors to find out where the translation we used in one case or another actually comes from smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.