The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 383 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mateusz Offline OP
OP Offline
will this dream ever be made real in our day? what will it take? I believe this is sorely needed in a time of upheaval of the true faith.

J
J
Mateusz,

The problem is that each side has made an irrevocable committment to certain views that are irreconcilable. I just don't see Rome repudiating the teachings of Vatican I and I don't see the Orthodox ever accepting the teachings of Vatican I. I pray and hope that there can be restored communion. But, realistically speaking, I don't think it will happen before the second coming of Christ.

But we should talk to one another, pray for one another, and work together where we can to re-evangelize the world. We should respect the piety and spirituality of both churches. With all due respect to my Orthodox brethren, I do not agree with the view of some Orthodox that the Church of Rome is entirely graceless. To use an idea from Vatican II, I would say that the true Church of Christ subsists in its fullness in the Orthodox Church, but that elements of the Church are present in the non-Orthodox Christian communions in various degrees. In a sense, what Rome believes to be the case about Orthodoxy, I believe to be the case about Rome, for the most part anyway. In thinking about this, I would have to qualify what I am saying here a little more. But, it is not necessary right now.

I still love the Melkite Church very much and part of my heart will always be with the Melkites. So, I am not interested in polemics or squabbles that have little to do with what is truly essential to the Orthodox Catholic faith. So, I think that if we are honest and charitable, we can accomplish much, even if we will probably never achieve restored communion.

Joe

Last edited by JSMelkiteOrthodoxy; 03/10/07 05:19 AM.
Mateusz Offline OP
OP Offline
It is imperative for Rome and the East to iron out the differences. for the sake of unity in preserving the Apostolic faith against the forces of evil in the world. there are so many evils to speak of. secular, moral, and heretical alike. Catholic and Orthodox churches are both Apostolic Churches. Both worship the Holy Trinity. Both have Mary as our Mother, and the Saints as our companions. The time of good-gesturing and social/moral alliance should have already passed by now to making solid declarations of unity in truth and faith. Pope Benedict XVI's visit to Constantinople produced good fruit, and i am sure more will come between the two sister Churches.

Z
Z
Dear Mateusz,

We here in the USA are so far from the world and it's reality. Europe has ceased to be Christian, and the Muslims know that. They are planning to come in and fill the void, and they are doing it with widespread illegal immigration and a high birth rate. Christianity is in a desperate situation over there. frown

The Pope and Patriarch are well aware of that. Arch. Christodoulos of Greece was highly active with Catholic Cardinals to have Christianity mentioned as the basis of European civilization, but to no avail. The people in Greece are in the forefront of uniting the faiths, thanks to the saintly and martyric Pope John Paul II, and his humility. As one priest said, it seems to be a movement of the Holy Spirit.

So the situation is not as bad as it appears. wink Remember with our Lord, everything is possible.

Zenovia

T
T
It's really imperative for the Orthodox and Catholic communities in the middle east to work together for mere survival becasue of the threat of militant Islam. An arragnement for sharing of the sacraments between the communions would be most wise to gurarantee the apostolic christian presence in the predominatly Islamic middle east. Where Catholicism and Orhtodoxy dominate we may not need to have intercommunion for our tradiions to survive but in some parts of the world mainly the places where the apostlic church roots started but are now threatened for extinction this is not the case. The squabbles of the ivory towers of theologians threaten to destroy the Christian church in the middle east. How do we explain this headstrong stupidty to the Lord when he comes back and sees no Christinity in the middle east because single men and women could not find other Christians to share the sacraments with and had to resort to marrying Muslims.

Last edited by tobit; 03/12/07 06:43 AM.
Z
Z
Dear Tobit,

I believe in Lebanon the Orthodox and Catholics are sharing the Eucharist, to the chagrin of many here. It is not the theologians, but those ignorant of what is going on in that part of the world, that are screaming the most against it.

As for the good news, Bishop Kallistos Ware, the great Orthodox theologian and former Anglican, said that he realizes that his position on the Filioque before might have been faulty, and that the problem seems to be more with samantics. Actually I personally think everything is semantics, because what a word expresses in one language and to one people, might be different to what it expresses in another language when translated. These are the things that have to be worked out...and this time, they are really trying. smile

I can't help but feel that the word 'nous', that was used by Saint Gregory Palamas and roughly translated into one's heart, really means one's heart filled reasoning. In other words, the reasoning one gets through spiritual enlightement. To the Greeks though, it seems that the English word reasoning, was roughly translated into one's rational or philosophical logic...and therefore the Catholics could be perceived as heretic

God Bless,

Zenovia

Last edited by Zenovia; 03/12/07 08:42 PM.
A
AMM Offline
A
Originally Posted by JSMelkiteOrthodoxy
The problem is that each side has made an irrevocable committment to certain views that are irreconcilable. I just don't see Rome repudiating the teachings of Vatican I and I don't see the Orthodox ever accepting the teachings of Vatican I. I pray and hope that there can be restored communion. But, realistically speaking, I don't think it will happen before the second coming of Christ.

Well said.

E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Originally Posted by JSMelkiteOrthodoxy
I just don't see Rome repudiating the teachings of Vatican I and I don't see the Orthodox ever accepting the teachings of Vatican I.

Joe,

I think this is a perfect example of "with God, all things are possible." You're right that Vatican I is a significant obstacle to unity between East and West, but it is a mountain, such as Our Lord instructed us that with faith the size of a mustard seed, we could command it to be cast into the sea and it would be done.

Approximately 80 years ago, Pope Pius XI (in his encyclical, Mortalium Animos) sought to quell the growing pressure for the Roman Church to become involved in the new ecumenical movement by reiterating the old saying, "there is no such thing as schism within the Church, there is only schism from the Church." We all know this was changed with Vatican II, which openly embraced ecumenism and spoke of schism within the Church.

To the minds of many, this was already a repudiation of Vatican I. Rome, of course, has repeatedly insisted that this is not the case, but if it is not, the reconciliation between the two is not entirely clear.

I would contend that the biggest obstacle to unity between East and West is that many on both sides still think such a reunion impossible. Once we accept the idea that this truly is God's will, however, we will be looking at the problem from a different perspective. The late Pope John Paul II once said, "it is no longer a question of whether it is possible for us to re-unite, but whether we have a right to remain separate."

Peace,
Deacon Richard

A practical manner in which VC1 could easily be 'reconciled' is to declare VC2 the completion of VC1 (which wasn't officially concluded out of haste), furthermore it is now understood that many of the innovations that were perpetuated after VC2 were not condoned by that council and were introduced after its conclusion.

A
AMM Offline
A
I think it's more of an issue of what underlies VI, in other words UOJ. That is a principle sticking point. How a reconciled church would co-exist seems to me to be a major unanswered question as well.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.