The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 52 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#236725 05/26/07 11:53 AM
Grateful
OP Offline
Grateful
Fox news is reporting that an 11 year old boy killed a wild pig with a a pistol. The pig was over 9 feet long and over 1000 pounds. shocked From the picture, it looks like a rhino. sick
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,275524,00.html

Of course, his dad has a website now: http://www.monsterpig.com
As the caption reads, "BIGGER than Hogzilla!" crazy

Happy weekend . . . .

-- John

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
They'd better watch out before Subdeacon Borislav tries to turn that hog into a big hunk of salo! biggrin

I watched the episode on Hogizille on National Geographic. They said the pig was most likely a farm breed pig which go released in the wild and cross breed with a feral pig. Anyway, that is one BIG pig!

Last edited by Ray S.; 05/26/07 03:00 PM.
Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
"That's some pig."

Scary, that ain't no piggie...that's a monster hog fit for this weekend's BIG family bar-be-cue...

What kinda sauce we using ?

james

Sarma time.

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
Originally Posted by Jakub.
Scary, that ain't no piggie...that's a monster hog fit for this weekend's BIG family bar-be-cue...

What kinda sauce we using ?

james

The Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue Sauce from Kansas City!

I encourage everyone to eat there once!

http://www.jackstackbbq.com/

http://www.toprestaurants.com/missouri/jackstackbbq.htm

Did someone mention sala???????/

Alexandr

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
This story is probably such a fraud, and that's not a wild boar anyway. People will do anything to get in the news these days.

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
Originally Posted by Slavipodvizhnik
Did someone mention sala???????/

Alexandr

My brother and I were discussing salo yesterday, we were wondering if it was served cold, room temp. or if it is cooked. confused

For those of us who are not Eastern European and don't get alot of the posts about 'salo' here:

( and btw Dr. Eric, the answer to your questions about salo and how it is prepared as a food, is also on the Wikipedia page below)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salo_(food)

Salo in popular culture

In Eastern-European humour, salo is a stereotypical attribute of Ukrainian culture, analogous to vodka in Russian. In jokes salo is often represented as the highest object of desire for the stereotypical Ukrainian.

A Ukrainian tourist is questioned at international customs:

�Are you carrying any weapons or drugs?
�Yes, salo.
�But salo is not a drug.
�When I eat salo, I get high!

Russian writer Vladimir Sorokin wrote a scandalous book, Blue Salo (a pun with the expression "blue blood").

Salo in Chocolate

The expression "chocolate-coated salo" (salo v shokolade), originating in an ethnic joke about Ukrainians, has become clich� among Eastern Slavs, referring to an eclectic mix of tastes or desires. In the early 1990s, the joke became reality at an unorthodox, art-oriented restaurant "Lyal'ka" in Lviv, which made the dish an exclusive, expensive novelty. The BBC reported it among the World's Most Unhealthy Foods [1], failing to report its humorous irony.

In the 2000s, Odessa Confectionery Factory started production of candies Salo v Shokolade [2], [3], [4]. Popular singer Ruslana is a fan of this treat. The chocolate candies were invented as an April Fool's Day joke (Odessa being the de facto humour capital of the former Soviet Union). They are not actually salo; they contain a regular caramel filling with a small amount of rendered fat added as a salty flavouring.

D
D
GOOD GOLLY NED that pig must have been living near a nuclear power plant ^^

L
L
I've been hog hunting a few times with my friends at one of my best friend's cabin in South Georgia. The original Hogzilla was killed on a plantation/farm not but a few miles away from my friend's place!

Also, Lineville/Clay County, where this story is set, is only about 45 minutes from my house, and directly on the way to our lakehouse. I pass through there every week or two for most of the summer. LOL.

Alexis

L
L
Oh, and Orthodox Pyrohy, even though it's my nature to be suspicious, I suspect you're not from the Deep South. It's not inconceivable for a hog to get that big. Even the "average" sized ones are gigantic.

Anyway, we Southerners are a God-fearing people and not prone to telling fibs in order to get attention! (We leave that up to Yankees). wink

Alexis

R
Bill from Pgh
Bill from Pgh
R
I agree Garrett that this hog ain't no "bull"! smile

Here's another one:

http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=1017&cid=84

Or is it the same one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.