The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 383 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#242590 07/02/07 01:36 AM
Paul B Offline OP
OP Offline
I recently visited Slovakia to visit the village of my paternal grandparents, Slovinky. I stayed a week in the village and spend a considerable amount of time talking to Father Vladimir Varga, the Greek Catholic priest.

I also visited the neighboring village of Helcmanovce and a short pilgrimage to Litmanova, where the Bohorodicen reportedly appeared to two Greek Catholic children.

For anyone who has questions I will do my best to answer them; please forgive me for any delays because I'm back to work now, my garden is full of weeds, and I'm trying to put together a presentation to my sister parish in Sykesville, which was founded by emigrants from the two villages.

I will begin by saying the the Divine Liturgy is celebrated in Slovak in Slovinky and Helcmanovce; in Church Slavonic in Litmanova.

Father Deacon Paul

U
U
It is sad to hear that the Rusyn villages of Slovinky and Helcmanovce are Slovakized. At least Litmanova still has a Church Slavonic DL.

Unhcsertezs

Fr. Deacon Paul, maybe a slide show is in the works???

Inquiring minds want to know biggrin biggrin biggrin

U
U
Doesn't Slovinky have a very traditional Orthodox parish now? I'm sure their liturgy is in Church Slavonic.

Ungcsertezs

Paul B Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Pani Rose
Fr. Deacon Paul, maybe a slide show is in the works???

Inquiring minds want to know biggrin biggrin biggrin

I would need some instructions on how to do it. I have the pictures on CD.

Fr Deacon Paul

R
R
If you have Windows XP, I beleive you should have Windows Movie Maker (try looking at Start/Programs/Accessories), which enables one to make a slideshow from images. You can then upload the slideshow to YouTube.

Last edited by Roman; 07/03/07 12:28 AM.
Paul B Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Ung-Certez
Doesn't Slovinky have a very traditional Orthodox parish now? I'm sure their liturgy is in Church Slavonic.

Ungcsertezs

Even though I visited for a week it wasn't enough time. I didn't get time to visit the Orthodox parish. The Greek Catholic Church was more significant because of family history.

I understood that the Orthodox church was built in the 1990's, probably around the return of St. George Church to the Greek Catholics. The village seems split fairly even between the Greek Catholics and the Orthodox. The GC church was outlawed and its property given to the Orthodox for decades so it lost a lot of people.

There are plans to build a Roman Catholic Church in lower Slovinky, near Krompachy where there is already a RC Church.

I was there four days before I even met any of my relatives; the time just flew by and not having a readily available interpreter held things up a lot.

Paul B Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Roman
If you have Windows XP, I beleive you should have Windows Movie Maker (try looking at Start/Programs/Accessories), which enables one to make a slideshow from images. You can then upload the slideshow to YouTube.

Thanks, Roman. I'll have to organize some pictures and have my grandson do the Utube part.

or just use photobucket or one of them, but YouTube would get a lot of viewings for sure.

Paul B Offline OP
OP Offline
I finally put together some pictures which is posted on the site below:

This is my first attempt at Movie maker so it is very unprofessional, but it does get the pictures on a public forum with some narration.

I still have some video; a friend is putting it on DVD so I hope to have more posted some time in the future.

Father Deacon Paul

Father Deacon Paul

Wow that was wonderful! Thank you for taking the time. Geesss there were so many things I found interesting. I will watch them again with Fr. Deacon Stan tomorrow. Thanks again for taking the time to share. Pani Rose

U
U
Fr. Dn. Paul,

I like the traditional Ikonostas in the Slovinky church except the 'removed Deacon Doors". Why this has been occurring in the Greek Catholic Churches in Eastern Slovakia, I have no idea. It is also sad that they have abandoned Church Slavonic. frown

Ungcsertezs (I pray that I will visit again with my Rusyn relatives in Valkovce/Matovce soon, Daj Bozhe!)

Z
Z
I finally put together some pictures which is posted on the site below:

Dear Father Deacon Paul,

Gosh how BEAUTIFUL! I'm such a romantic! blush

God Bless,

Zenovia

T
T
You the man, Deaon! Give yourself a raise. Heck, double your salary. Tell the Eparch I said it was ok. We're tight! (Right!!!!)

Tim

Paul B Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for your kind comments.

I like the traditional Ikonostas in the Slovinky church except the 'removed Deacon Doors". Why this has been occurring in the Greek Catholic Churches in Eastern Slovakia, I have no idea.
Ung-Certez

That was a very keen observation about the lack of deacon doors.
Even the church in Litmanova, where the DL is in Church Slavonic, does not have deacon doors.

I can only guess that the deacon doors were removed because they only have "transitional" deacons. I don't expect that they will even address the diaconate until the seminary enrollment drops off to a much smaller number.

At some point soon they will have to be building and staffing many, many churches in the cities where there has not been a Greek Catholic presence, otherwise our church will die out as is threatened here in the USA. The Greek Catholic Church is a rural church, but as in the USA, the young educated people are moving to the cities. In Poprad, a large city, the Divine Liturgy is celebrated in a Roman Catholic Church. A church is being built, I believe. But one church for a city that size is not going to bring growth.

https://www.byzcath.org/forums/images/icons/default/grin.gif
grin Tim, double my salary?? I still couldn't buy a cup of coffee. https://www.byzcath.org/forums/images/icons/default/grin.gif
grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.