The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296505,00.html

DEVELOPING STORY: Russian news agencies cite the Kremlin as saying that President Vladimir Putin dissolved the government Wednesday.

Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Fradkov asked the Kremlin to dissolve his government, Russian news agencies reported, with less than three months remaining before parliamentary elections.

Fradkov made the decision based on "the approaching major political events in the country and a desire to give the president full freedom in making decisions, including personnel," Fradkov was quoted by ITAR-Tass as saying. A Kremlin spokesman could not immediately comment on the report.

Ok...any experts on Russia want to explain what this means?

Gordo

Where's the Young Fogey?

L
L

I saw that when I got up this morning, and from everything I've read, their doesn't appear to be anything sinister about it. NATO have been flexing there muscles closer and closer to Russia, and Putin recently started doing it back to them. I'd be alot more concerned about a couple of bills that President Bush signed into law last October and May, that give him increased power.

OP Offline
Yes - nothing sinister going on in Russia or with ex-KGB Mr. Putin. We clearly need to be concerened with President Bush. He is the greater threat to democracy and freedom in the world.

Why next thing you know, he will be dissolving the government!

Oh...wait...

Gordo

That rotten old President Bush. He'll probably attack Northern Illinois next. He might even have the audacity to suggest that ...gasp...late term abortions are wrong. He might even suggest that a handful of surveilances on known international terrorists is alright.

We must watch out for any Republican President. He might actually intimidate the Communinist wannabees that inhabit our campuses, though I doubt our meager efforts at protecting our nation will frighten the Al Qaeda terrorists.

CDL

If I remember right, a few years ago, this "fight against money laundering", which I would not down occurred, led Putin to shift veto power over the appropriation of monies from the regional governors to a committee in his control which would select the people who have veto power and the successor to retired governors. I'd have to look it up again, I may be a little fuzzy on the facts.

Since the Duma has been dissolved, what is the status of the Federation Council?

Terry

L
L

The Bush administration's National Security And Homeland Security Directive, released on May 9th of this year, gives the president dictatorial powers in the event of any catastrophic emergency, defined in the directive as "any incident, regardless of location, that results in extraordinary levels of mass casualties, damage, or disruption severely affecting the U.S. population, infrastructure, environment, economy, or government functions;"

The language written in the directive is disturbing because it doesn�t say that the President will work with the other branches of government equally to ensure a constitutional government is protected. It says clearly that there will be a cooperative effort among the three branches that will be coordinated by the President. If the President is coordinating these efforts it effectively puts him in charge of every branch.

Mr Putin is ex-KGB, and George Herbert Bush was ex-CIA. Both organizations have a long history of alleged links to assassinations, shady arms deals, and the overthrow of foreign governments. In Mr Putin's defense, he says he has been a practicing Orthodox Christian since 1993. Time will tell whether he is an honorable man or not, but to date he has openly sided with the Christian population of Kosovo, while Mr Bush has sided with the Moslems, and he has quietly provided aid to the Armenian Christian population of Nagorno-Karabakh, while the Bush administration has gotten cosy with Moslem Azerbaijan, who's brutal attacks on Armenian Christians led to the conflict.

Lawrence,

A bit conspiratorial of you but I am interested in studying some of your points. Do you have links to PM Putin's efforts in support of Kosovo and Armenian Christians and President Bush's siding with Aberbaijan over Armenia.

CDL

Well you want to know my views on President Bush?
President for life!!!
Long may he reign.
Stephanos I wink
I feel real bad that our constitution doesnt allow us to premanently elect him.

Last edited by Stephanos I; 09/12/07 04:50 PM.
Grateful
Grateful
Originally Posted by ebed melech
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296505,00.html

DEVELOPING STORY: Russian news agencies cite the Kremlin as saying that President Vladimir Putin dissolved the government Wednesday.

Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Fradkov asked the Kremlin to dissolve his government, Russian news agencies reported, with less than three months remaining before parliamentary elections.

Fradkov made the decision based on "the approaching major political events in the country and a desire to give the president full freedom in making decisions, including personnel," Fradkov was quoted by ITAR-Tass as saying. A Kremlin spokesman could not immediately comment on the report.

Ok...any experts on Russia want to explain what this means?

Gordo

Gordo,

I'm not an expert on Russia. But, based upon what I've read, it appears that Mr. Putin is putting his chosen government into power now, so the people of Russia can vote simply "da" in the "elections" in December 2007 and in the spring of 2008.

See, for example, the article at
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070912/D8RJUT003.html

-- John

Last edited by harmon3110; 09/12/07 04:51 PM.
L
L

Dan

The US Department of State's annual Country Reports on Human Rights Practices - 2006, released on March 6, 2007 stated that "Armenia continues to occupy the Azerbaijani territory of Nagorno-Karabakh and seven surrounding Azerbaijani territories.

Here's a link to an a brief article from the Armenian National Committee Of America regarding increased military aid to Azerbaijan http://www.anca.org/action_alerts/actionalerts.php?aaid=98 For some reason I can't find a link, but there was a Washington Post article sited on Wikipedia, entitled "Azerbaijan Becomes Best Ally To U.S. Of Former Soviet States".

On Kosovo http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6587497.stm

I'll try and post more when I have time.

Grateful
Grateful
Mr. Putin appointed an obscure supporter as the new Russian Prime Minister, Viktor Zubkov.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/332d2f7c-6123-11dc-bf25-0000779fd2ac.html

Mr. Zubkov "did not rule out" running for the presidency of Russia in 2008.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6be6e590-61e8-11dc-bdf6-0000779fd2ac.html

-- John

Z
Zan Offline
BANNED
BANNED
Z
I like Mr. Putin, mainly because he is Russian Orthodox! He converted from athiestism after he survived a fire in his ducha, I believe he actually had a religous expirience during the fire.

I like his no B.S. politics too, every country needs a strong man as leader every now and then. Plus Russia, under him, is in a lot better shape than it was in the mid 90s. Plus Aristotle (or was Plato?) said the best form of government is a beign dictatorship, I agree - but the only thing is you would get a good dictator, St. Constantine or St. King Louis IX for example, only to be succeeded by a bunch of nut jobs.

Last edited by Zan; 09/14/07 01:47 PM.
what?
Much Love,
Jonn

Russia is much stronger and organized than it was under Yeltsin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.