The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
B
There was certainly nothing personal in anything I wrote. And I believe I have run across your name more than once over the years on the Internet in connection with the "rule of the Theotokos." I don't find any evidence of the Latin rosary existing in the east. It's possible some similar devotions may have developed in the east, but they were not identical to what is often referred to as the "Dominican rosary" in common use in the west today. But I do wonder if one has to take the western rosary beads, use eastern forms of the prayers, etc., then what's the point? Just do the Latin rosary and be done with it. As I have often stated, it's a valid Marian devotion, it's just not eastern.

Dear Charles,

O.K. - I accept your apology! smile smile

I guess one problem is that so much of the Orthodox Rule of the Theotokos is contained in Russian language texts. In fact, NOTHING I've ever said about it doesn't come from those Russian religious texts. For example, I follow the Rule as given in the English language "Staretz Zechariah: An Early Soviet Saint" Chapter 6.

That book outlines 15 subjects for meditation during the recitation of the 15 decades, each headed with an Our Father and the prayer "Open to us the doors of Thy Mercy . . ."

This pattern is given in many other Russian sources, including the Moscow Patriarchate's "Encyclopaedia of Orthodoxy" 2003.

The Orthodox and the tradition of St Seraphim of Sarov are quite serious about this private Rule of prayer which is variously called "wonderful" "miracle-working" etc. St Seraphim had a list of miracles that happened to people who recited the Rule daily. He himself said the Queen of Heaven indicated to him that it is a prayer that should be recited by all Christians daily to obtain for them Her Protection throughout their lives, at death and in eternity.

Again, none of this has any reference to St Dominic (and there is really no evidence that Dominic ever had the vision with Our Lady of the Rosary he is said to have - that was taken from the imaginative writings of Bl. Alan des Roches).

Also, the Old Believers are quite devoted to this. Given their deep suspicion of anything Western, I just find it telling that they would pray 15 decades of Hail Mary's, each headed with an Our Father, and on a special Lestovka that goes back deeply into Russian Orthodox history.

It is a beautiful prayer and I love the new books that come out with scriptural meditations. Each new book seems to say something original and this prayer has become a high adventure for me, bringing me closer and closer to Christ and the Theotokos, the Church and salvation history.

It has also made me more deeply aware of my sinfulness.

Cheers,

Alex

G
G
Check this out!!

There was a recent moleben celebrated before a relic of Saint Seraphim of Sarov at the Chevetogne monastery.

The Roman Catholic bishop of Namur (in whose diocese the monastery is located) was present and venerated the relics.

Photos of the Veneration of the relics of St. Seraphim of Sarov in the Monastery of Chevetogne [monasterechevetogne.com]

Description of the event on the site of the Russian Orthodox Archdiocese of Brussels (in Russian). [archiepiskopia.be]

Is the relic a gift to the monastery or simply on loan?

Dear Friend Griego,

The relic was on loan for the veneration of the monastic community at Chevetogne.

The Russian Orthodox article is very ecumenical and warm toward the Chevetogne monastery and when it describes the use of the Byzantine-Slavonic (Orthodox - sic) tradition by the Benedictine monks it states that this is done not to proselytize the Orthodox and get them to become Roman Catholics but to help the West better understand the Orthodox Church.

It also states that Lev Gillet himself was one of the founders of the Chevetogne monastery - and that he later became Orthodox in Paris (he was formerly the secretary to Met. Andrew Sheptytsky).

The article also describes a discussion given by one of the Benedictine monks that indicates the growth in the veneration of St Seraphim of Sarov within Roman Catholicism over the years and that both Orthodox and Catholics came forward to venerate the relic of St Seraphim.

This also shows the way in which the Chevetogne Benedictines have been able to completely adopt the Benedictine tradition with that of the Orthodox East and this within a concerted effort to promote real ecumenism between Catholics and Orthodox.

Thank you for bringing this article forward, I found it very heart-warming and also encouraging with respect to the interface between Benedictinism and Orthodoxy.

I've completed my year of Benedictine oblate noviceship and will be making my oblation soon.

Once again, thank you for this beautiful article.

Your friend in Christ,

Alex

G
G
Dear Alex,

You are most welcome!

I will remember you in prayer as you prepare to make your oblation.

May Our Lord bless you,

griego

My brother Alex,

Prayers for your intention...

james

ps- Does the Abbot have your complete dossier ? wink

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.