The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 284 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Catholic Gyoza
OP Offline
Catholic Gyoza
I'm reading about the oft misunderstood (by myself as well) theological opinion of the Toll Houses. There seems to have been a disagreement between Father Seraphim Rose and a Deacon Lev Puhalo, who is now Archbishop Lazar of Ottowa.

The blurb about him I read was that he was ordained by an uncanonical body and there seems to be some controversy about him.

Please, please, please understand that I'm in no way trying to disrespect a bishop. I'm only trying to learn more and my sources are from *ahem* the internet.

Administrator
Administrator
Dr Eric,

I am going to try to post this with the least amount of controversy. The archbishop is an OCA "retired" hierarch. That is how he was accepted into the OCA. Don't ask me how and why it was done but it was.

The archbishop does have a history. He was ordained a deacon under ROCOR, and has moved around to several different jurisdictions, seemingly almost every time ascending the priestly/hierarchical ladder. As one hierarch once stated and it could be applied in this instance, if there was ever such a thing as a passport to the Orthodox Church, he would have many, many visa stamps in his. wink

As far as the toll houses and his theology, I will let others (and you know they will) argue about it.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
There is a timeline and bio [orthodoxwiki.org] of Archbishop LAZAR on OrthodoxWiki.

Catholic Gyoza
OP Offline
Catholic Gyoza
Thanks Father and Michael.

Michael, that was the one that I saw and wanted to get a better take on it. It is a wiki article after all.

Oh my! I'd love to, but this is just so tempting, that I have to pass on it. Something this inviting...... Let me just say this, dear Dr Eric. avoid the writings of Lev Puhalo. Trust me on this one.

Alexandr

Subdeacon Alexander,

What is controversial about Archbishop Lazar, other than his many bus stops on his route to Orthodoxy? I am not being sarcastic, I really don't know much about him, except this and his theologoumenon against the tollhouse theologoumenon.

I really would prefer just to leave him work out his salvation in the remote monastery in Canada, but since he insists on confusing others with his "opinions", it is the responsibility of all Orthodox Christians to defend the truth. Check out https://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/216914/fpart/1

Alexandr

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.