The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
JasonJohn, SmellOfTheSheep, Colana, Mister, NikosLaos
5472 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (SweetPea, 2 invisible), 66 guests, and 147 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Portable Icon Screen
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,482
Posts410,422
Members5,472
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Brother Roger of Taizé murdered #25543
08/17/05 11:37 AM
08/17/05 11:37 AM
tornado alley
monksilouan Offline OP
monksilouan  Offline OP
tornado alley
Code: ZE05081624

Date: 2005-08-16

Taizé Founder, Brother Roger, Slain

DIJON, France, AUG. 16, 2005 (Zenit.org).- The founder of the French religious Taizé Community, Brother Roger, was attacked and killed by a mentally disturbed man during vespers, his community said.

Roger, 90, was attacked, probably with a knife, during evening prayer today at Taizé, near Cluny, in the eastern Burgundy region, a member of the community told Agence France-Presse.

The Taizé movement started during World War II, when Swiss-born monk Roger Schutz, living in Taizé, provided a refuge for those fleeing the conflict, irrespective of their religion.

Roger, a Protestant with a degree in theology, devoted his life to the reconciliation between Christian denominations

Re: Brother Roger of Taizé murdered #25544
08/17/05 11:42 AM
08/17/05 11:42 AM
Canada
Orthodox Catholic Offline
Orthodox Catholic  Offline
Canada
Quelle tragique!!

And didn't he convert to Catholicism?

With the saints give rest, O Lord!

How terrible . . .

Alex

Re: Brother Roger of Taizé murdered #25545
08/17/05 11:50 AM
tornado alley
monksilouan Offline OP
monksilouan  Offline OP
tornado alley
Here are some precious words from Brother Roger. May they inspire us all! Silouan, monk

Friday, May 06, 2005
A Word from Brother Roger of Taize

FROM ONE BEGINNING TO ANOTHER
Brother Roger

If, at each dawn, we were able to welcome the new day like a beginning of a new life... As the psalmist says, “Whoever advances toward God goes from one beginning to another.”

Do we realize that God buries our past in the heart of Christ, and is going to take care of our future? Were it possible to fathom our human heart, the surprising thing would be to discover there the longing, short-lived or long-lasting, for an invisible presence.

Although there may well be shocks and even upheavals in our lives, the Risen Christ is there. If Jesus had not lived among us, God would seem far away, unattainable. But, by his birth and his life on earth, Jesus let who God was shine through. God’s trust in human beings was so great that he hoped they would recognize him in a newborn baby and in a crucified man.

And if Christ were not risen, he would not be present today alongside us. He would remain one exceptional individual among others in the history of humanity. But it would not be possible to converse with him in prayer. He could not say to us, “When you are going through the harshest trials, I am present underneath your despair. And remember: I am also in the depths of your radiant hopes.” Christ does not only wait for us in light, in peace, in joy. He is also present in the distress of those who grope along to find a way out.

There can be moments when things look dark. But such obscurity is not pitch-darkness. It is not the dead of night. The light of Christ still penetrates it. Chase away fleeting troubles like a child blowing on a fallen leaf. Don’t cling to worries like a hand clutching the branch of a thorn bush; let go instead. Surrender to Christ whatever assails your heart.

Of course there are trials in every life; they can be very hard to bear. Peace of heart is as deep as the sea. Sometimes we may be agitated, like the sea when it is stirred up by a gust of wind. But this disturbance only affects the surface. Silent happiness, peace, remain close by and are so much greater. One of the things Christians are called to do is to welcome the joy of Easter, born at the heart of the seemingly greatest failure, the cross, and to be bearers of that joy.

With a simple heart, almost a child’s soul, happy are they who say to Christ: Risen Christ, you see who I am. And you welcome me with what I am. My thirsting heart asks you: Christ Jesus, unify my desire and my thirst.

When we pray, even if our lips remain closed, our heart can be open before God. God’s voice makes itself understood - an inner voice, steeped in silence. We are awakened above all in prayer.

Even if we have very little faith, will we say to Christ: what do you expect of me? May we always remember this: the wellsprings of jubilation will never run dry when a heart that trusts goes from one beginning to another.

Re: Brother Roger of Taizé murdered #25546
Chicago
A
Amadeus Offline
Amadeus  Offline
A
Chicago
Dear Alex:

I think he did convert, as he was wheeled into a "special" place near Pope John Paul II during the funeral Mass of our beloved Pontiff. And he was considered the "Abbot" of the Taize Brothers, most of whom are Catholic.

The breaking news was all over the Internet late last night (actually past midnight, CDT) while I was browsing.

May he rest in peace!

Amado

Re: Brother Roger of Taizé murdered #25547
08/17/05 12:02 PM
08/17/05 12:02 PM
Canada
Canada
Dear Amado and Fr. Silouan,

Are the Offices of Taize online?

It would be fitting to pray for him using these . . .

Alex

Re: Brother Roger of Taizé murdered #25548
08/17/05 12:22 PM
08/17/05 12:22 PM
Chicago
A
Amadeus Offline
Amadeus  Offline
A
Chicago
The Taize Community, now under the leadership of Brother Alois, prior-designate, issued this press release with an accompanying prayer for the eternal repose of their fallen Brother:

Taizé — 17/08/2005

Frčre Roger has entered the life of eternity

During the evening prayer on Tuesday 16 August, in the midst of the crowd surrounding the Community in the Church of Reconciliation, a woman - probably mentally disturbed - struck Brother Roger violently with knife blows. He died a few moments later.

In its sorrow, the Taizé Community thanks all those who are supporting it by their affection and their prayer. On the morning of 17 August, after Brother Roger's death, the following prayer was read in the church:

“Christ of compassion, you enable us to be in communion with those who have gone before us, and who can remain so close to us. We confide into your hands our Brother Roger. He already contemplates the invisible. In his footsteps, you are preparing us to welcome a radiance of your brightness.”

The funeral of Brother Roger will take place on Tuesday 23 August at 14.00.

Each afternoon, from 15.00 to 19.00, his body is placed in the church of Taizé, so that all who wish may go and meditate close by him.

Eight years ago, Brother Roger designated Brother Alois to succeed him, as the person in charge of the community. Brother Alois has entered straightaway into his ministry as servant of communion at the heart of the community.
http://www.taize.fr/en_article166.html?var_recherche=Roger

Amado

Re: Brother Roger of Taizé murdered #25549
08/17/05 01:24 PM
08/17/05 01:24 PM
Glasgow, Scotland
O
Our Lady's slave Offline
Our Lady's slave  Offline
O
Glasgow, Scotland
This is very very sad news frown

May he rest in peace

My ex SD has been many times to Taize , taking young people with him. He has always said that ,like Lourdes, whoever goes out to Taize is a changed person when they come back

Anhelyna

Re: Brother Roger of Taizé murdered #25550
08/17/05 01:44 PM
08/17/05 01:44 PM
somewhere betwixt the Alpha an...
ebed melech Offline
ebed melech  Offline
somewhere betwixt the Alpha an...
How horrible! I have been a fan of Taize for over a decade, but never made a pilgrimage. I remember a video of Pope John Paul II's visit to the community. I understand that both he and Brother Roger were good friends, as was Mother Teresa with Brother Roger. Now these three holy ones of God share the blessings of each others presence forever.

Eternal memory!

Gordo

Re: Brother Roger of Taizé murdered #25551
08/17/05 02:01 PM
08/17/05 02:01 PM
Canada
Canada
Dear Gordo,

Excellent idea for an icon of the Holy Three!

Alex

Re: Brother Roger of Taizé murdered #25552
08/17/05 03:32 PM
08/17/05 03:32 PM
Bucharest
Marian Offline
Marian  Offline
Bucharest
I saw on news....The killer is a Romanian woman with some mental troubles. Her name is Luminiţa (the little light in Romanian).
This is a shock... frown frown frown frown

May God forgive Brother Roger for all, and rest his soul in His bosom. Amen.

May God forgive this woman, maybe she will have time and mind to beg for forgiveness from the merciful Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God.

Unworthy, Marian +

Re: Brother Roger of Taizé murdered #25553
08/19/05 11:53 AM
08/19/05 11:53 AM
Irondale,AL
Pani Rose Offline
Pani Rose  Offline
Irondale,AL
French church slaying suspect under probe

May God bring peace to the hearts of those who witnessed this autrocity. Let them find rest in knowing that Jesus is there with them, loving them, and reassuring them he will not leave them orphaned.

Re: Brother Roger of Taizé murdered #25554
08/23/05 10:24 AM
08/23/05 10:24 AM
Chicago
A
Amadeus Offline
Amadeus  Offline
A
Chicago
By ZENIT:

Code: ZE05082201

Date: 2005-08-22

Cardinal Kasper to Preside at Brother Roger's Funeral

TAIZÉ, France, AUG. 22, 2005 (Zenit.org).- The president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity will preside at the funeral of Brother Roger Schutz, the slain founder of the Community of Taizé.

Cardinal Walter Kasper will concelebrate Tuesday with four priests of the ecumenical community, founded during World War II by the Swiss religious, son of a Protestant pastor.

Brother Roger, 90, was murdered Aug. 16 by an apparently unstable Romanian woman during vespers attended by hundreds.

Cardinal Kasper will deliver the homily. Brother Alois, the Taizé Community's new prior, will address those present at the ceremony, which will be attended by leaders of Christian churches and communities.

The ceremony, which will start at 2 p.m. local time, and will be broadcast live by KTO French Catholic television. KTO will transmit it later on Internet (http://www.kto.fr). It will also be broadcast by Notre Dame Radio (http://www.radiorcf.com).

A press statement issued by the (community said: "At the end of the ceremony, during which meditative hymns will be sung, Brother Roger will be buried, in the presence only of brothers of the community, in the small cemetery surrounding the Romanesque church of the town of Taizé, where his mother and several siblings are buried."
Amado

Re: Brother Roger of Taizé murdered #25555
08/23/05 10:47 AM
08/23/05 10:47 AM
Canada
Canada
Dear Friends,

Where could one obtain Taize prayerbooks? Taize hymns were sung at the WYD 2005 Vigil - hauntingly beautiful!

Alex

Re: Brother Roger of Taizé murdered #25556
08/23/05 11:10 AM
08/23/05 11:10 AM
Thousand Oaks, CA
Memo Rodriguez Offline
Memo Rodriguez  Offline
Thousand Oaks, CA
Hi,

Where could one obtain Taize prayerbooks? Taize hymns were sung at the WYD 2005 Vigil - hauntingly beautiful!
Absolutely.

Amazon.com would be a good place to start. But maybe you want to get at least a couple of CDs with the first order, because when you read it or hear about it, you do not quite get it (at least that was my experience).

Once you listen carefully (and without intrusion from the commentator) to a couple of hymns, it becomes obvious what they're trying to accomplish.

And they do so quite well. I think some Eastern influence from the "Jesus Prayer" spirituality is quite obvious.

The CD I have is called "Bendecid al Seńor" (Bless the Lord) and contains a good selection of hymns (I listend to at least a handful of them during WYD coverage). The most interesting thing for me is that the various pieces on that CD are interpreted in the various languages of the Spanish peninsula (plus some Latin and Greek here and there).

It has a few pieces in Castillian Spanish, some others in Catalan (from Eastern Spain and South France), some in Galician (from Northwestern Spain, very close to Portuguese) and even some in Basque (or Ezkerra, a language from Northeast Spain, which is not linguistically related to any other known language dead or alive).

I do know they have at least a couple of pieces in Slavonic.

Shalom,
Memo

Re: Brother Roger of Taizé murdered #25557
08/24/05 04:49 AM
08/24/05 04:49 AM
Portugal
F
Filipe YTOL Offline
Filipe YTOL  Offline
F
Portugal
Concerning Br. Rogers supposed conversion to Catholicism, there is a lot of confusion.
I remember thinking that he had converted because he had received communion during the papal funeral.
However, in the WYD newspaper which was published in English and in German, they mentioned that he had received communion at that time, which was a rare exception to the "rules" because he was not a catholic. Other conversations I had with friends and so on, confirmed that he had not converted.
This was particularly interesting regarding his status now to catholic believers. Can he be oficially considered a Martyr? He can not be canonised, although Cardinal Schonborn himself told us that he felt that a saint had died...
I know that this is secondary to the fact that he is now, hopefully, in the presence of God himself, but on an academic level, it is quite interesting.
Filipe

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Father Anthony 

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2018. All rights reserved.