The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 295 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Dear friends,

I have been making my own harmonizations to the new text and melodies in the RDL, and I thought some of you might find them useful. They are harmonized in a simpler way than the Thompson harmonizations, with altos singing a third below the melody, basses on the tonic, and tenors filling out the chords. I only have the antiphons up so far, but will be adding the rest when I have time.

Here is the website: http://www.geocities.com/byzkarl/byzcathchoral

I've typeset them with Lilypond, and can send you the source if you want to adjust them for your purposes. (http://www.lilypond.org)

OP Offline
I bump this because I have added Creed B and th responses before the Creed.

Enjoy!

U
U
Are they for private use, or have you received a "Nihil Obstat"
from the Sui Juris Metropolitan Byzantine Catholic Church of America? wink

Ungcsertezs

OP Offline
None has been sought, and none has been given.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Nice stuff, though the harmonization for "And with your spirit" could use some touch up. (Moving parallel octaves in the bass and tenor seem unusual.)

Last edited by Daniil; 12/18/07 06:11 AM.
OP Offline
It's either a mistake, or genius. smile

I have no training in harmonization, and write tenor parts last. Sometimes they are less than I would hope for. Presumably, I'll get better at this.

Karl,

WONDERFUL WORK!

Having done choral arranging myself, I know what a task it is - obviously a labor of love on your part. Sheesh... where do you find the time??

It is always such an enriching joy to me to be able to join my own meager voice in harmony with you and the rest of the "back-o'-the-temple-standers" out at Annunciation... this past Sunday's DL was certainly no exception for me! Thanks for putting up with this ol' Rusyn's meager vocal attempts.

Now... let me know when you're gonna tackle arranging the complete Liturgy settings in Old Slavonic (a bit of wishful thinking on my part, maybe smile )... I'd be happy to help!

grin

Al (a pilgrim)

Last edited by a pilgrim; 12/18/07 05:31 PM.
OP Offline
Bump!

I have updated the website quite a bit. Here is the new URL: http://www.geocities.com/byzkarl/Welcome.html

Does anyone know of good free webhosting?

John
John
Pseudo-Athanasius,

The Council of Hierarchs has made clear that only officially approved texts and musical settings may be used the the Divine Services. Please cease to reference any and all private materials on this Forum. I can only suggest that you be obedient to the Council of Hierarchs in following their directives exactly, as have I.

Admin

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.