The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
OP Offline
S
Father Ambrose banned from catholic answers forum,,also many if not all other orthodox posters like Father Ambrose were posting for years now there banned permanently.
Old eastern christian sub forum now changed to eastern catholic. moderators please forgive if i posted this in the wrong place...stanislav

F
BANNED
BANNED
F
Judging from the board stickies over there, this has been coming for some time. Apparently, it has been pretty nasty at times there, so they have shifted their focus from a Catholic-Orthodox debate board to a board about Eastern Catholics. Seems a bit strange for an apologetics site. But, they said they did not have the manpower to referee the place.

Oddly, I find myself often in more agreement with some of the Orthodox posters here than with some of the "Catholic" posters here. I use quotes as some of the "Catholic" posters here go out of their way to not describe themselves as Catholic, not because I dont believe them to be so. Of course the need to use such quotes and disclaimers is a symptom of the problem.

S
OP Offline
S
The debates did get heated at times over there ...They banned me also and i don't know any theology and im orthodox christian...stanislav
oche blagoslovi..Father Bless...were all at orthodoxchristianity.net now....

Last edited by stanislav; 11/21/07 06:06 AM.
F
BANNED
BANNED
F
God Bless, Stanislav.

I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to get banned when you have invested yourself.

Fr. J.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Fr J Steele CSC
God Bless, Stanislav.

I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to get banned when you have invested yourself.

Fr. J.

Father Bless...It's more frustrating for the other orthodox posters that spent years their ..They really knew there theology ,i didn't know any thing i was learning my self by reading the posts and asking a question or two...stanislav

R
R
Is there a trend?

This reminds me.

A couple of months back I was informed by local Orthodox clergy that Orthodox were purged from local Catholic seminaries.

For years Holy Angles seminar (for late vocation) has had an Orthodox priest teach Patristics. And two years ago this Orthodox priest was one of the main speakers in Hartford (the occasion was graduation from several local Catholic seminaries). At his ordination the people there were nearly 40% RC with nuns, monks, and if I remember correctly two RC bishops.

But last year the Orthodox priest was informed that there will be no more Orthodox teaching in Catholic seminaries. He was purged because he is Orthodox.

Regarding being banned from the CatholicAnswers forum. Were they banned because they were out of control .. or banned because they are Orthodox? Makes a difference.

Fr. J ... I do not think anyone at this forum hides their affiliation. You can click on the posters name and see mostly anyones affiliation (View Profile). Many of us have been here a long time and know each other so it is needless to put our affiliation into the post itself. On the occasions that I do .. it is because I am RC and disagreeing with my RC on some item. I have put in many tears here defending or explaining RC theology (from my perspective) and so many people here (the ones who might read my posts) know that I breath with both lungs. The point being ... we generaly do not need to announce our affiliation in our posts.

There is no affiliation criteria here at the byzcath board to be a moderator. The moderator might be Catholic, Byzantine, or Orthodox, or maybe something else.

I am glad to see you stay Fr. J.

-ray

O
O
Frankly I do not think we should be discussing what CAF have done with some of the members there.

Surely it's an Internal matter and no business of ours ?

I don't know why they made the change there and I don't know how to find out except to just believe that they haven't the people to moderate. In any event there were some lively discussions between Orthodox and Catholics but I didn't notice anything out of line.

Too bad that another avenue for understanding has been eliminated but like our Scottish sister I don't see what can be gained by discussing it here. We simply aren't privy to any solid information.

CDL

It would be interesting to see if this ban extends to those who define themselves as "Orthodox in communion with Rome?"

This is most sad.

Alex

A
A
Ray it might be a good thing to see if there is an official policy like you say as far as banning Orthodox instructors from Catholic seminaries in general. In that particular case, we only have half of one side from a third party - for all we know there could have been some other things going on.

As to the CAF action, I can't understand the victim card. the top 6 most active Orthodox posters had 42,000+ posts - one of them at one point averaged 52 posts per day, one poster with over 19K between two screen names also routinely dominated the discussions.

The original intent of the forum had been to disseminate word about the Eastern Catholic Churches, and then the CAF ECF turned into a Cath/Orth debate.

The subjects broached in there were frequently NOT appropriate to that forum. Many should have been asked in apologetics or non-Catholic forums... And the amount of time and effort/moderator resource propotionate to the interest or usage probably didn't match up.

The quality of the debate there was often lacking - it was a destructive combination of group-pile on with often baiting triumphal Latins. The point had been reached where it was known as such a hostile and polemic place, that serious Catholic apologists did not bother there any longer.

Some complained about the forum change complaining that there were no other forums. One in particular who had done so also has an account here with 0.01% of the posts on this forum that he had there. Frankly, I don't think that poster could have gotten away with many of his posts here...

Additionally some would protest that no other forum was as active... and that simply is not true. Byzcath at its peak usage has 1000+ members online... CAF (for the entire forum) has never gone above 820...

I am trying to imagine a vocal minority of very triumphal Latins being treated so well so long on a similar "Orthodox Answers" style forum. Frankly, I just can't see it.

For the record, not all Orthodox posters were banned. Several are still participating. I have every reason to believe the process was "case by case" rather than "blanket banning of Orthodox."

I can't say I disagree with their decision... I do rather wish all the archives were still open for viewing. To be able to peruse them would clearly show some of the banned parties were not blameless. Please note, I saw the moderators ban and suspend Catholics far more often over my time there...

Z
Z
I;m harldy shocked. Catholic Answers has been a place for Pat Answers and easy solutions for Cahtolics for years, much like most Evangelical Protestant Apologetics sites. It exists not to detial theology, but ti give Modern Neo-Con Catholcis a palce to be Vindecated.

If the Orhtodox Posters coudl eaisly make points, this jepardised the little paridise they had, since it may lead to actual conversation and understandign of Orhtodoxy form anOrtodox standpoint.

Last edited by ZAROVE; 11/21/07 02:13 PM.
S
S
I frequently lurked in that folder. I am surprised because I didn't expect anything to change. But I think the place had become rather hostile to asking questions because it frequently turned into uncharitable debating rather something calm and charitable.

S
S
Originally Posted by ZAROVE
I;m harldy shocked. Catholic Answers has been a place for Pat Answers and easy solutions for Cahtolics for years, much like most Evangelical Protestant Apologetics sites. It exists not to detial theology, but ti give Modern Neo-Con Catholcis a palce to be Vindecated.

If the Orhtodox Posters coudl eaisly make points, this jepardised the little paridise they had, since it may lead to actual conversation and understandign of Orhtodoxy form anOrtodox standpoint.

I felt that often the Orthodox posters did not make good points but rather were belligerent. Speaking as a person who was an Orthodox Christian lurking over the years there I found it embarrassing. The Orthodox posters were instrumental to ME in confirming the very flimsy arguments the Orthodox have regarding the papacy. My husband felt the same way.

Z
Z
I still hold reservatiosn about Catholic Answers, hwoever. Ive seen queasitonable conduct before form them. Nevertheless, I will differ on this matter to your judgement. I am not invovled in the current ocntroversy.

Originally Posted by A Simple Sinner
Ray it might be a good thing to see if there is an official policy like you say as far as banning Orthodox instructors from Catholic seminaries in general. In that particular case, we only have half of one side from a third party - for all we know there could have been some other things going on.

As to the CAF action, I can't understand the victim card. the top 6 most active Orthodox posters had 42,000+ posts - one of them at one point averaged 52 posts per day, one poster with over 19K between two screen names also routinely dominated the discussions.

The original intent of the forum had been to disseminate word about the Eastern Catholic Churches, and then the CAF ECF turned into a Cath/Orth debate.

The subjects broached in there were frequently NOT appropriate to that forum. Many should have been asked in apologetics or non-Catholic forums... And the amount of time and effort/moderator resource propotionate to the interest or usage probably didn't match up.

The quality of the debate there was often lacking - it was a destructive combination of group-pile on with often baiting triumphal Latins. The point had been reached where it was known as such a hostile and polemic place, that serious Catholic apologists did not bother there any longer.

Some complained about the forum change complaining that there were no other forums. One in particular who had done so also has an account here with 0.01% of the posts on this forum that he had there. Frankly, I don't think that poster could have gotten away with many of his posts here...

Additionally some would protest that no other forum was as active... and that simply is not true. Byzcath at its peak usage has 1000+ members online... CAF (for the entire forum) has never gone above 820...

I am trying to imagine a vocal minority of very triumphal Latins being treated so well so long on a similar "Orthodox Answers" style forum. Frankly, I just can't see it.

For the record, not all Orthodox posters were banned. Several are still participating. I have every reason to believe the process was "case by case" rather than "blanket banning of Orthodox."

I can't say I disagree with their decision... I do rather wish all the archives were still open for viewing. To be able to peruse them would clearly show some of the banned parties were not blameless. Please note, I saw the moderators ban and suspend Catholics far more often over my time there...

Simple Sinner,

An excellent post and analysis of the situation. The revival of a polemical spirit among some Orthodox and Catholics (especially converts to both sides) was bound to come to a head at some point.

Makes me grateful for ByzCath. Yes - we all have our moments here, but Father Anthony, John, Alice, etc etc etc do a great job of keeping us honest with their gavels!

Peace,

Gordo

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.