The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (NathanJA), 395 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tjm199 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
It's coming up fast--December 6. What did you get for St. Nicholas Day when you were a kid?

We hung our stockings up on a bookcase (no fireplace in our house) and were delighted with a popcorn ball, an orange in the toe and a can of coconut along with some chocolates. I know, coconut is not your normal gift. But we all loved coconut and getting a small can all to ourselves was surely a treat!

What did you get?

Tim

U
U
Remember when all of the Slavic Social Clubs gave out St. Nicholas/Christmas treats? My Dad would always have several bags to bring home for us kids. Popcorn balls, Mallow Cups and Reeses Cups, Candy Canes, chocolate Santa's. Those were the days!

Ungcsertezs

A
A
UC - Mallow cups bring back some memories!!! You just don't see them around here very often... when I do see them I splurge!

WE got chocolate Santas and other candies in our shoes.... No fireplace growing up, so I guess Saint Nicholas decided it was easier to "go Dutch" and use our shoes...

And coconut is not a bad gift! St. Nick can leave Almond Joys any time he wishes...

My son, Nicholas, used to "cash in" that day. My relatives and inlaws usually sent him a wad of cash like they'd do on his birthday. Then they'd turn around and send him another for Christmas. The fall of the year was really good for him: birthday in September, St. Nicholas Day, and Christmas. grin

BOB

Originally Posted by theophan
My son, Nicholas, used to "cash in" that day. My relatives and inlaws usually sent him a wad of cash like they'd do on his birthday. Then they'd turn around and send him another for Christmas. The fall of the year was really good for him: birthday in September, St. Nicholas Day, and Christmas. grin

BOB

Nicholas' good fortune would make any child green with envy! wink

M
M
My mother did strive to offer to my sister and to me a few sweets in the glorious day of the Christmas. At St. Nicholas nothing. I remember the deep frost from my room, the darkness because the light was taken regularly about 4 hours every evening, about the two hours of cold water in 24 hrs, about the unended row of homework done at the light of a gas lamp.

Christ is Risen!

marian+

A
AMM Offline
A
Originally Posted by Ung-Certez
Remember when all of the Slavic Social Clubs gave out St. Nicholas/Christmas treats?

Are there places that no longer do this?

St. Nicholas Day for us is the 17th, and on the Sunday nearest to it St. Nicholas comes to the social center after the liturgy and passes out gift packages which includes a small icon, some candy, and a small loaf of bozhe bread baked by our Pani.

On the night before the 17th we have our kids put their shoes in front of the icon stand and we put some additional treats in them.

Originally Posted by AMM
Originally Posted by Ung-Certez
Remember when all of the Slavic Social Clubs gave out St. Nicholas/Christmas treats?

Are there places that no longer do this?

St. Nicholas Day for us is the 17th, and on the Sunday nearest to it St. Nicholas comes to the social center after the liturgy and passes out gift packages which includes a small icon, some candy, and a small loaf of bozhe bread baked by our Pani.

On the night before the 17th we have our kids put their shoes in front of the icon stand and we put some additional treats in them.

Isn't St. Nicholas day December 19th on the old calendar? Dec 19th minus 13 days equals December 6th.

A
AMM Offline
A
Yes, I don't know why I had the 17th in my head.

O
O
cry cry cry

I never knew of this custom till I came here frown

And I'm too old for it now cry cry cry cry

Originally Posted by Our Lady's slave
cry cry cry

I never knew of this custom till I came here frown

And I'm too old for it now cry cry cry cry

Anhelyna--

"him will Nicholas receive, and give help in time of need!"

You're never too old!!!

grin

In Greece, just as in many other saint's day, there is no particular celebrating other than celebrating one's name day. (Unless it is the patron saint of a region, then the whole region has a party)

Ofcourse, St. Nicholas (Ayios Nikolas) is very dear to the Greeks because he is considered the patron saint of those travelling at sea, and with such a traditionally large sea faring industry this meant alot. There are many miracles attributed to St. Nicholas having saved those at sea.

That usually means an open house for all the family's friends to stop by, to greet you and give you nameday blessings and wishes, etc... and for the host, that means offering them something sweet. Ofcourse, the guests would also stop briefly at all the homes of those Nicholas's they knew.

In the U.S., in my grandparent's day, when most of their friends were also from 'the old country', my grandmother would have a big party for my grandfather Nicholas on December 6.

In Greece, children receive gifts on the feast day of St. Basil, on January 1st. He has a reputation as another charitable saint, so he is basically the Greek version of 'Santa Claus'.

I think it is nice that the Slavic tradition involves St. Nicholas' feast day for children, since, after all, here in the West, he is Santa Claus.

I am curious as to how this was reconciled by your parents...does it mean that you cannot still believe in Santa Claus, or does it mean that he comes on Dec. 6 and Dec. 25th?

Thanks!

Alice

J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J
I think it is nice that the Slavic tradition involves his feast day for children, since, after all, here in the West, he is Santa Claus.

I am curious as to how this was reconciled by your parents...does it mean that you cannot still believe in Santa Claus, or does it mean that he comes on Dec. 6 and Dec. 25th?

Luckily my oldest is 6 and although I thought she might make the connection this year...I think I will be able to get at least one more year out of her...She is terrified of people in costume and last year she needed to know, so she wouldn't freak out, that I was going to be "St. Nicholas" at both the Holy Trinity Community Gathering and at the new Parish gathering...since then I have explained to her the Historical person of St. Nicholas and the commemoration of this holy bishop...she has not yet, as far as I know, made the connection between St. Nicholas and Santa Claus...

Going back to the title of the thread...as a child, the only commemeration of St. Nicholas day was a large dinner at the church with St. Nicholas arriving who distributed candy to all the children as they sat next on the floor in two rows with their shoes in front of them...the candy was left in the shoes by St. Nick as he processed in to the singing of Christmas Carols...I know today, we do this at my parish, and with my former BC community as well as leaving a little chocolate (preferably chocolate gold coins) in my daughters shoes on the morning of December 6th...my parish is old calendar but there's no need to confuse the situation...

Chris

A
AMM Offline
A
In terms of explaining, the 25th is just kind of a continuation of the 19th. St. Nicholas is the focus. They don't get presents on Christmas itself, i.e. the 7th.

Enjoy this wonderful site all about St. Nicholas:

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=38

...and THIS treat!! A major movie coming soon:

www.nicholasofmyra-movie.com [nicholasofmyra-movie.com]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.