The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Hello everyone,

I am going to go to a Greek Melkite Catholic Church tomorrow, and if the priest would be willing I would like to make a confession. I don't know if the priest would be willing/able to hear my confession before the Divine Liturgy or not. And if he is - what exactly would happen? Is it done in front of the iconostasis (as wikipedia says)?

Catholig

AthanasiusTheLesser
AthanasiusTheLesser
If you are Catholic, you are permitted to receive the sacrament of reconciliation in any Catholic Church. It is supposed to be done in front of the icon of Christ.

Ryan

C
OP Offline
C
I'm catholic, but I'm just not sure if this priest'll have time, or if it's common to request to make a confession in the Melkite Rite.

Catholig

R
OrthoDixieBoy
OrthoDixieBoy
R
Many many (all?) Melkite churches offer confession before every Divine Liturgy so it's not likely he wont have time.

Jason

L
Leo Offline
L
Originally Posted by Catholig
Hello everyone,

I am going to go to a Greek Melkite Catholic Church tomorrow, and if the priest would be willing I would like to make a confession. I don't know if the priest would be willing/able to hear my confession before the Divine Liturgy or not. And if he is - what exactly would happen? Is it done in front of the iconostasis (as wikipedia says)?

Catholig

This is part of my question as well, which is what is the form of a byzantine Catholic confession?

Dear Leo,

In my parish, which is quite traditionally Eastern, the priest is either seated before the icon of Christ or else is standing.

One approaches him, makes the sign of the Cross and greets him saying, "Glory to Jesus Christ, Father!"

Then one can let him know when one's last confession was, that the penance/epitimia given was fulfilled and that since that time, these are the sins I've committed since etc. This is the simplest approach.

Afterwards, the priest will give some helpful comments and will impose an epitimia or penance intended as a remedy. He will then ask you to recite the Prayer of the Publican.

You may cross yourself three times for each of the following verses:

+ God be merciful to me a sinner!

+ God cleanse me of my sins and have mercy on me!

+ For I have sinned without number, Lord forgive me!

During this time, the Priest will pray the prayer of absolution over you, placing his stole over you, and will end with: Go in peace and sin no more.

You may reverence his hand and thank him for the Confession as you depart.

That's basically the regimen in my parish.

Alex

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.