The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#267642 12/10/07 11:02 AM
Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
I couldn't recollect in which forum we previously have discussed this topic, so decided to post it here. If Father Anthony or one of my fellow mods has a better memory and it merits moving, feel free to do so.

By accident, while searching for something else, I ran across a site (unfortunately in German) that has an incredible photo display of clerical headgear (as well as papal shoes and all sorts of other clerical garb). I wish I could read it (my mastery of German makes translation tedious), but the photos alone make it a worthwhile (and fun) viewing.

See Klerikale Kopfbedeckungen [dieter-philippi.de] and don't hesitate to go exploring the other drop-down menu choices. (While Latins dominate the upper half of the incredibly long series of photos which one can scroll through, we of the East are well represented in the lower half of the page.)

Enjoy

Many years,

Neil

Last edited by Irish Melkite; 12/10/07 11:03 AM. Reason: Decided the title would be more eye-catching in German

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
U
U
What, no pics of the Ruthenian/Ukrainian Greek Catholic Kopak? It should have been put right after the Jewish Rabbi's headgear
since it very similar! biggrin

Ung

U
U
Actually, it's the Jewish Cantor's hat that the Kopak resembles.

Ung

Dear Neil,

This was very nice. I was probably looking at it from a different perspective than the rest of you--I adore the history of costume, and in these many different clerical hats, which were 'de rigeur' to wear throughout history in lay men as well, I saw a glimpse into both church and lay history...

Infact, many styles of religious dress today are simply the styles of everyday dress for everyone at certain points in history. The fur trimmed hat of Hasidim today is simply the fashion of hats which all men wore in 17th century Poland. The nun's habits both in the Eastern and Western styles are also replicas of lay clothes popular at certain times and in certain places.

By looking at all these hats, I also remembered that throughout history men were not always as plainly dressed as they are today. They rivaled women in fashion and fanciness.

Different peoples were known for their different style of dress--and this varied even from region to region in the same country. Hats were often the exemplifying factor in regional costumes.

Also, there has always been a practical reason for the wearing of hats by men and women, and that was the cold which they had to endure indoors without central heating. It is a well known fact that most of one's body heat leaves through the head.

Today we can admire the craftsmanship, fabric, detail, and ornamentation of the costumes of nobility in the past through our clerics of today!

Alice

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Alice,

I thought it was fascinating myself. When I have a few hours to spend on it, I will painstakingly do a bit of translating (haven't read any German in about 40 years, beyond a word here or there) because I want to understand the motivation of the gentleman who created the site (who is the father of a beautiful relatively young baby, from a couple of photos that I saw).

There were also sections on liturgical staffs, including several Eastern ones, shoes, and various other accoutrements - but headgear is definitely his favorite subject.

Given the quality of photography, I'd be more than happy to see him expand his hobby (?) into other liturgical vesture. It would be most interesting.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
I don't know, after this picture, I'm not sure I trust Neil any more. wink biggrin

[Linked Image]

Seriously, thanks for posting it, it was fascinating. Is it a website for religious clothing?

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
For the priest who likes to play baseball:

[Linked Image]

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
The famous picture of Patriarch Josyp Slypyj

[Linked Image]

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
I can see why this one went out of style:

[Linked Image]

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
Doc, how many radio stations you think he can pick up with that hat?

in reference to the picture posted immediately above my post.

Last edited by Orthodox Pyrohy.; 12/12/07 05:56 AM.
O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O

Last edited by Orthodox Pyrohy.; 12/12/07 06:05 AM.
F
F
Famous? I would have called it "notorious"!

Patriarch Joseph was flummoxed into wearing this thing by someone who showed him a portrait of Cardinal Isidore of Kyiv, thus bedecked. It turned out later that the portrait had been painted at least a hundred years after Cardinal Isidore's repose!

Fr. Serge

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Dr. Eric
Is it a website for religious clothing?

Dr Eric,

I don't think so - my strong suspicion is that the balding gentleman on the site's front page has the same fascination with clerical garb (particularly headgear) that I have with delineating Rites, Traditions, Churches, Rescensions, etc. I keep hoping that someone more facile at German than I am will take a glance at it and give us some insight.

I rather think that the baseball-cap style biretta might have been to the liking of Richard Cardinal Cushing, of blessed memory, who thoroughly enjoyed baseball - what say you, Father Serge?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any of him in his famous straw boater, which is what he usually wore to Fenway.

Many years,

Neil

Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Dr. Eric
I don't know, after this picture, I'm not sure I trust Neil any more. wink biggrin

[Linked Image]

This is the doctoral vesture of the University of Coimbra in Portugal confused

E
E
I was about to ask. The doctors of the University of Coimbra
have my sympathy.

Edmac

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.