The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
CuriousMarten, Pilgrim500, Waylon, reikan, sadsappysucker
5,754 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (jvf), 135 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Byzantine Nebraska
Byzantine Nebraska
by orthodoxsinner2, December 11
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
by Santiago Tarsicio, March 17
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
by JLF, November 10
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Upgraded Russian icon corner
by The young fogey, October 20
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,024
Posts413,825
Members5,754
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Originally Posted by ebed melech
I added another St Helen of Synopi to my website. She is a great example of courage, purity and holiness for youth and adults!

Enjoy!

Gordo

http://www.catholicchurchgeek.com/holy_martyrs

I think that I may have read this biography of St. Helen Synopi before, but thanks for bringing it to the attention of the forum and also for reminding me of her.

In Christ,
Alice

Nobody likes St. Peter of Kiev (i.e. Mohyla)?

OP Offline
Dear Daniil,

Never heard of that Saint.

But St Peter II, Metropolitan of Kyiv, Halych and all Rus' - now there's a great Orthodox Saint for you! smile

Alex

Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
St. Mark of Ephesus, St. Nectarios, & St. Alexis of Wilkes-Barre

Ohhhh...
I can't forget St. Moses the Hungarian

Job

OP Offline
Dear Job,

St Moses the Hungarian and St John the Much-Suffering, both of the Kyiv Caves Lavra, were venerated by the youth of Eastern Europe as protectors of purity.

When St John was attacked by temptation most violently one day, a monk actually reached into the sarcophagus of St Moses the Hungarian, pulled out a relic-bone of his and applied it directly to St John. The temptation ceased.

John is depicted on the icon of "All Saints of Rus'" published by Jordanville at the lower left buried up to his chest in earth - his penance to fight off temptation.

Alex

Check page 1 of this thread. St. Peter was one of my top three along with Sts. Seraphim of Sarov and Paissy Velychkovsky.

Saint Elizabeth the New Martyr - a woman of impeccable beauty, character and spirituality. St. Elizabeth greatly loved Our Lord and the Holy Virgin Mary and is a true role model for all Christians.

Slava Isusu Khrystu!

Saint Elizabeth the New Martyr - a woman of impeccable beauty, character and spirituality. St. Elizabeth greatly loved Our Lord and the Holy Virgin Mary and is a true role model for all Christians.

Slava Isusu Khrystu!

I was very touched at the account of her martyrdom...and how she and the others sang "Save O God thy people, and bless thine inheritance, give victory to your kingdom, from the assaults of the barbarians"...as their own barbarous countrymen were murdering them...

Originally Posted by Alice

Slava Isusu Khrystu!

I was very touched at the account of her martyrdom...and how she and the others sang "Save O God thy people, and bless thine inheritance, give victory to your kingdom, from the assaults of the barbarians"...as their own barbarous countrymen were murdering them...

Yes, I love St. Elizabeth, and forgot to mention her on my previous post. And can I also say I like St. Andrei Rublev.

Being a cleric I think I have two favorite Orthodox saints.
St Seraphim of Sarov
St Nectarios
Both priestly examples par excelence.
Stephanos I

I
I
Wow, there're so many saints I want to learn about, can anyone recommend a good Orthodox Saints book? I'm reading a four volume set by George Poulos but I'm open to reading something else. Fortunately, it is easy to find information on Russian saints, what about Coptic saints and those from the Middle East?

I read about Father Arseny before I knew anything about Orthodoxy and was soooo impressed. I hope he becomes an official saint. I also like the Greek saint Elena of ? . I'll have to find her name, sorry.

Grateful
Grateful
Originally Posted by indigo
Wow, there're so many saints I want to learn about, can anyone recommend a good Orthodox Saints book?

I second that! Can anyone recommend a good, one volume, book on Orthodox saints? Thank you.

-- John

OP Offline
Dear Saint-hunters,

The OCA site has a good selection of saints' lives www.oca.org and if you read Russian, then www.days.pravoslavie.ru has tons of Saints' lives.

St Herman of Alaska press and other Orthodox publishers have collections of the lives of Orthodox Saints.

p.s. I'm so happy this Orthodox Saints thread has really trumped the Catholic one! smile

Alex

"p.s. I'm so happy this Orthodox Saints thread has really trumped the Catholic one!"

Well, Alex, despite being confused by your elatedness at something so...trivial...this IS the *Byzantine* Forum. It would make sense that Eastern saints (the vast majority of whom are Eastern Orthodox, not Eastern Catholic) would trump Catholic saints, most of whom are Latin Catholic.

Alexis

OP Offline
Dear Alexis,

I don't think the fact that there are Catholics here who honour Orthodox Saints, even recently glorified Orthodox Saints, is a trivial matter. That there is a real enthusiasm about Orthodox Saints here is likewise not a trivial matter.

I'm truly elated by this (non-trivial) matter!

This is the "Byzantine Forum" yes. But EC's have tended historically to stay away from "all things Orthodox."

Not no more, Big Guy, not no more! smile smile

Enough of this trivial matter, we can go back to talking about the Little Office, if you like . . . wink

Pax Vobiscum,

Alex

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Alice, Father Deacon Ed, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2020 (Forum 1998-2020). All rights reserved.